Super Contributor

Need suggestions for Thanksgiving weekend getaway!

It is just my daughter and I for Thanksgiving this year.  In the past we have done some volunteering at neighborhood soup kitchens.  I never cook a turkey, alot of work for just the two of us.  This year I would love to get away for the long weekend.

Any suggestions of a fun Thanksgiving getaway?  I wouldn't mind a trip to somewhere that they would offer a turkey dinner with all the festivities....

I live in the Philadelphia area, was thinking of a day trip, or even flying somewhere. 

Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for Thanksgiving weekend getaway!

[ Edited ]

NYC.

Watch the parade in person, see the balloons staged in the park the night before, go to dinner, shop and see the wonderful department store windows, see a show, etc. Stay a night or two. Spend as much or as little as you like. Easy trip from Philly.

Respected Contributor

i would not suggest flying because i think that this is the worst travel time of the year and you don't want to spend your time in an airport.

i'm originally from phila. and if it were me i'd go to new york city where all the decorations will be up for the holiday and the macy's day parade.  the thing about this will be getting reservations, but if you do your due diligence you will find something, i'm sure.

another idea is to go to washington d.c.  there are great restaurants and there is so much to do down there.  i used to love going there.

you may want to consider using a travel agent because they can set you up and probably make recommendations on where to stay and go. 

good luck and have a great holiday! 

Super Contributor

How about Gatlinburg, TN. There's lots to do there. Huge outlet mall and lots of shopping. They decorate so pretty for the holidays. You could even rent a nice cabin or stay in a hotel where all the action is. We spent Thanksgiving there once and it was really nice!

While I breathe, I hope - - South Carolina
Respected Contributor

How about something in Vermont?

Or, definitely somewhere within driving distance that weekend for sure!! Long lines, huffy people, delays - not my idea of a nice weekend holiday getaway! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

Another possibility is Disney World, if you dare the airports at Thanksgiving.

Fine dining available and you can do as much or as little as you want.. 

Another possibility from Philly is Bermuda, if they did not get hit too hard from Hurricane Matthew.

Honored Contributor

I love the idea of Gatlinburg.  It's a nice ride.  Love the outlet shops there.

If you've never been to the parade in NYC, that's a strong contender.

You could also stay home.  Make a reservation for thanksgiving.  Friday or Saturday book a complete spa day.  It would probably cost as much as a flight, but would feel so good.  You could rent a stack of movies or do on demand, etc.

Honored Contributor

I would recommend NOT flying anywhere unless you have to. Flying at Thanksgiving and Christmas is pretty awful and you will wind up with a very stressful and uncomfortable getaway. I've had to fly at Christmas for the last 17 years and it's awful. If I could avoid it, I would, but my family is in California and I'm in Texas - a 3 day drive away.

Drive somewhere and plan ahead. Smaller towns may not have a lot of restaurants that will be open on Thanksgiving, so once you pick a destination, you should check Yelp and make some phone calls to find out what might be open. You can try calling the local tourism place, city hall, or chamber of commerce to get some ideas. Call the restaurant you're most interested in and ask about holiday hours and find out if you need reservations. If you don't, you could wind up having Big Macs for Thanksgiving. I got out to eat for Thanksgiving with friends every year and more and more places have specials every year, but many places are closed or don't serve anything special.

Honored Contributor

Williamsburg, VA. You can Amtrak it.  It is wonderful any time of year but especially around the holidays. 

Honored Contributor

I completely agree, that would be my dream vacation!

I love NYC at Thanksgiving, have done it several times but unless you have reservations way in advance, it's not doable.

And traveling at Thanksgiving is brutal any way you go, but I always tend toward Amtrak myself.

@castlenv wrote:

Williamsburg, VA. You can Amtrak it.  It is wonderful any time of year but especially around the holidays.