Occasional Contributor

Re: My son has to do jail time

Can I ask a silly question?

Why in the world would anyone think this is a bogus post?  I mean, who would do that?  What would be the point?

I wrote the post because I was looking for support.  I did not make the mistake, my son did.  So why is everyone attacking me?

And thanks to those who were helpful, I truly appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

I don't doubt your post, but he must learn, good thing no one was hurt,or killed i have first hand knowledge of how bad a person can be hurt from being hit by someone, my son SHANE,he was put into a wheel chair for 3 years,so many operations, last one  a below knee amputation, he died ,he was 27.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Your son chose to get drunk and then behind the wheel.   A mistake is something you didn't mean to happen. 

As long as you take the atitude it was all a big mistake ,you are helping no one, not you ,or him

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

He's only doing 11 months?  If PA is like Maryland it's a piece of cake.  Anything under 18 months is done at a Detention Center, not a full size prison.  He can do that time standing on his head.  What needed to be done was placing him in a real prison and maybe then he'll stop drinking and driving.  Sorry for being so blunt, but I can't tolorate anybody putting somebody else's life in danger because they want to drink and get behind the wheel. 

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

I don't doubt your post, but he must learn, good thing no one was hurt,or killed i have first hand knowledge of how bad a person can be hurt from being hit by someone, my son SHANE,he was put into a wheel chair for 3 years,so many operations, last one  a below knee amputation, he died ,he was 27.

@goldensrbest I am so sorry for your loss. 

Honored Contributor

@hopeandfaith wrote:

Can I ask a silly question?

Why in the world would anyone think this is a bogus post?  I mean, who would do that?  What would be the point?

I wrote the post because I was looking for support.  I did not make the mistake, my son did.  So why is everyone attacking me?

And thanks to those who were helpful, I truly appreciate it.

@hopeandfaith

There've been a lot of bogus threads on here, and most of these are started by people newly registered and have very few posts.  Also, what you stated in your OP just did not jive with PA state regulations so being sentenced to 11 months for a first DUI seems ridiculous.

Unfortunately, it seems like you are in denial.   Your son is not a "kid" who made a mistake ... he's a grown man who made a very foolish choice, and it probably wasn't the first time.   Eleven months for a first time offender just isn't plausible.  There's more going on here.

If you haven't googled the words in Post #56, please do so ... today.   IMO, you both need help.   JMO

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

This is what I found, when I googled the law on DUIs in PA:

"The first time you are arrested and convicted for drunk driving in the State of Pennsylvania you will receive 6 months probation and a $300 fine if your BAC was between .08-.99. If your BAC was from .10-.159 you will receive from 2 days-6 months in prison, a $500-$5,000 fine and a 12 month drivers license suspension."

Given those facts and the sentence he received (11 months???), he must've been way over the legal limit.  Many years ago, my young brother was killed by a drunk driver, so I don't have much tolerance for drinking and driving, in any amounts.  You drink (or do drugs)...you don't drive.  Period.  No excuses.

Having said that, I'm sorry for the worry it's caused you.  He will have to get through it one day at a time and, hopefully, will learn from the experience.  It could've been so much worse.

(And, if this is somebody just "pulling our chain", my feelings remain the same.)

@Venezia - I just found the same thing doing a google search.

I'm sorry about your brother.

I have no sympathies for anyone convicted of DUI...they deserve what they get.

Honored Contributor

This is a quick thought I just had..........Can someone in the family, once he is back home, take away the car keys?  He can use public transportation, which is what I grew up doing.  ............... Anyway, Hide them or lock them in a safety deposit box.  I'm a firm believer in doing this when teens have a habit of 'sneaking out' in the middle of the night when their parents are sleeping.  Too many teens have fatal accidents in the middle of the night.  Now, if the keys were locked up, it would be one step toward safety for them and for other innocent people.   Well, just a thought that popped into my mind. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

@ROMARY wrote:

This is a quick thought I just had..........Can someone in the family, once he is back home, take away the car keys?  He can use public transportation, which is what I grew up doing.  ............... Anyway, Hide them or lock them in a safety deposit box.  I'm a firm believer in doing this when teens have a habit of 'sneaking out' in the middle of the night when their parents are sleeping.  Too many teens have fatal accidents in the middle of the night.  Now, if the keys were locked up, it would be one step toward safety for them and for other innocent people.   Well, just a thought that popped into my mind. 

@ROMARY

Since he's 29 years old, there's the likelihood that he doesn't still live at home .... I hope.   

The good news .....   since he'll be incarcerated for 11 months, it's pretty likely that he'll be sober for 11 months .... a good start to turning his life around. 

Does anyone know if there are AA meetings in jail?

Super Contributor

@hopeandfaith wrote:

I don't know why everyone is questening his sentence.  It is what it is.  He got argumentive with the police officer, I believe, so the sentence was heavier.

I did not want to get into why/what/how of the sentence.

This post is about support for ME.  I am worried about him. 

With all due respect, your son got himself into  this mess. His mouth got him in more trouble by arguing with the police officer who was doing his job. Your son could have killed himself or worse yet other people.