Occasional Contributor

My son will be sentenced to 11 months in jail, I believe next week.  He had a DUI.  He is in his late 20's and basically a good kid, but has made mistakes.

I am heartbroken.  He has never been in jail before, and I dont' know what to expect.  I told him he has to deal with it.  There is nothing anyone can do.  It is a county jail in Pennsylvania.

Can anyone give me advise on how to cope?  I can not eat or sleep, this is taking a huge toll on me.

Respected Contributor

Re: My son has to do jail time

How many DUI's has he had?  It must have been several for him to be sentenced to extended jail time.  Hopefully, he will learn from the experience.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Sorry new member 1 post just registered today some one is yanking our collective chain's.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry. I really am for you. I hope it is a lesson learned for him..as he not only endangered himself out there driving impaired but everybody else. He could of been going in for Vehicular Manslaughter ..so be thankful on that end. KIlling not only himself but a innocent person who did nothing wrong..

Hopefully hitting rock bottom like this will help him in the future and make the most of any programs offered while he is in there.  You can visit and send letters...he can probably call home but be prepared for collect calls only. 

I don't know anybody family personally that has been in jail/prison but work often with prisoners in my field...(mental health)..

Hopefully this will be a one time thing and he will grow and learn from it.

To get 11-months on  DUI probably means this isn't his first rodeo so to speak...

You have to continue on use your faith or whatever other support system you have to let you cope. I fully understand it is your son and you love him..are worried about him in there. I wish I knew had the words to say to make you feel better ....often times they get time off for good behavior..and time served waiting for his case to end(if he was in..) credited to their time.. Look to your local Mental Health Clinics and see if there are support groups for incarcerated family members. The County Jail may even have knowledge of one. Speak to your MD if you think it is affecting your health.

You have to be positive and hope for the best..and do not let his mistakes make you ill with worry.  Best of luck to you both.

Honored Contributor

If he is in his late 20's he is no longer a kid, he is a man. I'm sure he has done this more than a few times. I hope it helps him  straighten out

I am sorry for what you are going through.  I think you might benefit from some sort of  counseling. Start with your Dr, ask them for help. They might give you something to feel better, and be able to recommend a decent  counselor

Respected Contributor

Could be somebody who posts often and doesn't want to use her real nick..could be somebody looking for some support and could be somebody yanking our chain.. I choose to take it at face value.  No harm done with offering support and replying.

Honored Contributor

How many has he had? It must be more than one. After jail he needs some kind of help.

Esteemed Contributor

Wanted to say how sorry i am for what you both will be/are going through.....Blessings to your family...

Occasional Contributor

Yes, I am new to posting, but not new to the forums.  I read a variety of topics here.

Yes, he is a first time offender.  However, in Pennsylvania, they are very very strick, and this is what he got.

I came here for support, to see if maybe someone here was going thru the same issues.

He is my son, that will not change, and I am a mom who is worried.

Esteemed Contributor

As a mother, my heart goes out to you. Just be there for him and let him know you support and love him.

BTW, our state could use some of the strictness shown in your state. Our courts are full of repeat offenders. They just never learn. Your state at least nips it in the bud and this may help your son in many ways in the long run.

God Bless You.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein