Honored Contributor

Re: March 2017 - Lucky Spring at the Bird's Nest

Hello all, wow it was insane at work today, lol.

I'm experiencing something at home that I've never experienced in the 15 years that I lived here.  I don't know if it's because of the odd weather we had this winter.  I'm seeing ants, maybe 3-5 a day in the master bathroom upstairs.  I've had no windows open - where in the heck are they coming from.

I will probably buy ant traps and have to get creative about where I put them.  Grayson is nosey and checks everything unusual out. 

It's always something, lol.

Respected Contributor

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I would sure love to have Conrad back. Maybe I should call YAPS tomorrow to see what they have. NOPE, cannot handle a dog now but would love to have a Scottie - they are so adorable. May call just to say hello

Honored Contributor

birdmama wrote:

Hello all, wow it was insane at work today, lol.

I'm experiencing something at home that I've never experienced in the 15 years that I lived here.  I don't know if it's because of the odd weather we had this winter.  I'm seeing ants, maybe 3-5 a day in the master bathroom upstairs.  I've had no windows open - where in the heck are they coming from.

I will probably buy ant traps and have to get creative about where I put them.  Grayson is nosey and checks everything unusual out. 

It's always something, lol.

@birdmama  How about thousands of ants!  Every summer, they come inside, and this year for the first time, they came in during winter.  I have tried so many different things to discourage them, and the numbers have decreased, but to have them come in twice a year and stay for months, horrible, to say the least.  I sweep them into the sink, no pain for them, instant kill, but others come in their place.

I remember my Mother telling me she opened her freezer and it was black with ants.  So consider yourself lucky, and after reading this, I am sure you will, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  Thank you, I was thinking of going to bed.  I am now itching and scratching all over, rofl.  

Honored Contributor

birdmama wrote:

@mousiegirl  Thank you, I was thinking of going to bed.  I am now itching and scratching all over, rofl.  

@birdmama  LOL!  Once, in the middle of the night, DH jumped out of bed yelling he was getting the spray ant killer.  I hadn't wanted to use that stuff, but when they come into your bed and attack, and they BITE, then I let him do it.  I left the bedroom for an hour or so, as I am sensitive to chemicals.

Last year, I cut tons of lavender stems, stripped the flowers, and dried all.  I put the stems on the deck at the slider, and the flowers on the kitchen window sil and counter, and it worked to a degree, but they can travel under counter rims, tricky devils.  I never wanted to kill them as they are hard workers, but when I couldn't cook due to them, that was the last straw!  I bought lavender oil recently, and use a cotton ball to apply it under the rimss of the counter.

Next arsenal will be 4 tablespoons of olive oil to 1 tablespoon of mint extract, spending a small fortune on these dudes, lol.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  I think I know where they are coming from.  I have a ceiling fan thing in the bathroom.  You know, you kick it on to get steam out if your shower is too hot - like an exhaust fan?  The one I got stopped working.  It's not like I used it alot, every once in awhile I'd flip it on.   Maybe a couple of times a year.  I know where the raid ant traps are going first, lol.  

Honored Contributor

birdmama wrote:

@mousiegirl  I think I know where they are coming from.  I have a ceiling fan thing in the bathroom.  You know, you kick it on to get steam out if your shower is too hot - like an exhaust fan?  The one I got stopped working.  It's not like I used it alot, every once in awhile I'd flip it on.   Maybe a couple of times a year.  I know where the raid ant traps are going first, lol.  

@birdmama  Interesting,  My bathrooms don't have those, but they will when they are redone, as I have been wanting them for years

The ants don't come through my range top fan, thank goodness.

Good luck! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Twitter - Comunidad - Google+:

Honored Contributor

Wednesday:

Honored Contributor

birdmama wrote:

@Possummink   Awww love the shoes on the baby bird.  It always makes me feel good to see humans helping birds (especially).

@birdmama @Possummink I second that!Heart

"You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think."
~~ Winnie The Pooh

Let's Stay in Touch

* *You're signing up to receive QVC promotional email.
Connect with Us

The scoop on everything Q, from helpful tips to interesting tidbits, questions, answers, and more.

QVC is not responsible for the availability, content, security, policies, or practices of the above referenced third-party linked sites, nor liable for statements, claims, opinions, or representations contained therein. QVC's Privacy Statement does not apply to these third-party web sites.

© 1995–2016 QVC, Inc. All rights reserved. Trademark Notice

Desktop View Mobile View