Esteemed Contributor

Re: Losing patience with friend's pressure

I am fluent in French so perhaps my friend wanted me along as a translator but in the upscale places she stays (we wouldn't have been staying in the same hotel) English is spoken by all the staff. 

I adore France. I have seen more of the country than most natives have, I've been to all the major cities but I adore the countryside. I may fly to Bordeaux next year, visit the fabulous vineyards on the marvelous day tours available, and then rent a car to drive to my favorite spot in the Charente, a former hunting lodge of King François I. As Zmel Brooks said, " It's good to be the king."

Respected Contributor

If you don't feel comfortable enough to go and not think twice about security concerns, it would not be enjoyable IMHO. I would never want to pressure anyone to do anything but plenty of people do. 

Sometimes you you have to be curt. Not going. End of discussion. Don't ask again. 

Sounds mean, but nagging someone to death is also mean. 

Honored Contributor

@Vivian

Am I correct in remembering your husband is dealing with early signs of Alzheimer's?

If so, I would think that might be reason enough not to go on a trip, leaving him alone.

Does your friend know that has become an issue?  If so, you could share your concern with her.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My husband has Been diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment. In the next five years circle it may become Alzheimer's. He's on meds and right now all is well fir travel. Believe me, I.'d love to go to France before we run out of time but it's not worth the worry yo me right now. My fRiend has had her own health issues and may even have leukemia but she is postponing her medical visits until after she returns first from a June trip to Spain and then the September visit ago France. She has lost a tremendous amount of weight and is Undergoing many tests but shE WILL NOT POSTPONE HER June trip to Spain and her September trip to France no matter what,

she he and I are quite different. I'd deal with serious health issues before embarking on long trips. My friend is not like that. She would rather put off serious and necessary tests in rider to go ahead with her travel plans, I must respect her decision but by the same token I wish she'd respect mine.

Honored Contributor

Hi @Vivian

Oh, boy.  I do feel so sorry for your friend, and I totally agree with you, she should take care of her medical issues first.  Maybe she thinks this will be her last chance and she wants to travel before she is unable to.  I hope it works out for her.

I understand your dilema but ultimately I think you have to take care of you and yours.  You have a lot on your plate right now and we all understand your concern for your husband.

My best to you.

Trusted Contributor

I can imagine your dilemma.  But it sounds like you have made your point, and I

would think that might be enough. 

I am so grateful I have done extensive traveling throughout the world before it became so dangerous. 

My son is a flight test engineer and travels all over the world.  He was recently in

Bolivia and his team had to travel with an entire team including security due to our

strained relationship with that country.  Good heavens.  So many issues throughout the world.

Esteemed Contributor

Just say NO & if she still continues to press you to go then just ask her "what she doesn't understand about the word NO" !!!!!! .... I think you are making the right decision by not going ... too many bad things have bed happening!!

Enjoy your trip to Quebec!!!!!!😄

Honored Contributor

She wants you to go to take care of her and translate for her and make sure everything is ok.

You don't want to go.

Reviewing a few episodes of Doc Martin on PBS should help you effectively say "NO!" and put an end to this nonsense.  Don't go if you don't want to.  It sounds like you would have a lot put on you that you don't need if you did.

Esteemed Contributor

@Vivian, your friend is probably worried she might take a turn for the worse and would appreciate the presence of a friend.  Be understanding of her situation as I think you are.  Stick to your plans and pray she has a safe trip.

Enjoy the beauty of Quebec City,  any time is a good time to visit there.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I would simply tell her you value your safety and you are not willing to take a chance.  Wish her well, tell her to have a good time and you will see her when she gets back.  I think she is probably just disappointed that she will not have you along and she does not express the situation or her feelings well.

As for France, many, many years we went.  We were with our friends from India.  They were treated very well.  We were treated like very poorly.. not enough time or space to tell you what they did to us or didn't do for us.  I will never never go back with or without a safe environment.