Super Contributor

Losing hair after loss of my girl.

I lost my sweet Katie in July to cancer.  I haven't slept more than a few hours a day in months,  My hair has been falling out and I would like to know if any of you have suffered something similar?  I don't want to leave the house and just want to give up.....

Honored Contributor

Re: Losing hair after loss of my girl.

Stress can wreck havoc with our bodies.  First, you need a comlete physical exam because it's possible that other factors might be responsible for your hair loss.  Second, you need to ask for a referral to pyschiatrist or clinical pychologist for an assessment and help with dealing with your grief.

New Contributor

I had to reply! I'm 45 and 7 years ago our family had a terrible loss of my brother 22. At the time I was even younger obviously and the stress caused my hair to fall out like crazy. One thing you might find very interesting is  whatever your stressing about today, your body will show the signs of nearly 3 months later.  So eventually when you finally start to at least deal with the loss, expect to still see changes in your body for months. I also want to say that it wasn't just a little bit of hair, it was a ton and got very very thin looking.  So today your hair is coming out from a day you stressed nearly 3 months ago.  The loss of a brother is bad enough but losing a child is even worse because it's not supposed to happen that way. My mom never let us see her cry about the loss of her son. She stayed strong for the rest of the family. Your baby is in heaven and I know you want her here but look at  what a mess we all have down here. She's up there looking over you and your family amd would want you to be happy. In time your days will get better  and you learn to just deal. I wish you the very heat and I promise you, it will get better.

love,

Nicki 

New Contributor

Have your doctor give you a  low strength of Xanax . It will help you on the days when you're just so full of anxiety.

Trusted Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Please find a grief support group.  You shouldn't go through this alone.  

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry.  You have received good suggestions.  I hope you are being kind to yourself, getting enough sleep, eating healthy whole foods. spending time with family and loved ones.  Losing a loved one is such a challenge.  Much love and prayers to you.  

Respected Contributor

Sorry, I don't know if Katie was your pet or your daughter.  If she was a pet, call your local animal rescue place (ASPCA?) and ask about grief support groups.  If she was your daughter, contact a hospital or funeral home to ask about that type of support group.  

Either way, you need someone to help you -- but you need to reach out for it.  Best of luck.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

MENTL, I am so sorry for your loss.  May I suggest a trip to the internist for an exam and something to help you sleep.  Prayer is a helpful stress reliever.

Many years ago a friend's husband left her.  She was completely unaware that this might happen.  She lost all her hair over a period of months.  As she began to recover and received medical attention, her hair grew back lovelier than ever. 

I wish you well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MENTL wrote:

I lost my sweet Katie in July to cancer.  I haven't slept more than a few hours a day in months,  My hair has been falling out and I would like to know if any of you have suffered something similar?  I don't want to leave the house and just want to give up.....

@MENTL, I am so sorry about your Katie..  Please know we are all here for you.  Yes, stress can cause hair loss, stress can do a serious number on our bodies without you even knowing it.  I speak from my own health experience.  Please, please when you feel like it, make an appointment with your Doctor and go from there.  You will eventually start to feel better, although it does take time you have to take care of yourself.  Talking to a professional and maybe take a little something to help you along the way.   Don't ever want to give up, there is always hope and help..    Hugs and best wishes!!!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Frequent Contributor

You have taken a step and reached out. Don't stop living , you still have so much to contribute. Please seek out a Dr. To help with your health. Stress is horrible to the body. Please come back and talk. I'm here. So are many lovely kind people. We share our sadness and our joy. You can just look around the forum and see you are never alone. Talking about things is good for the soul ,  we are here.. Sending you strength, Maryanne