Honored Contributor

I am helping an acquaintance compile financial information for an upcoming divorce....her husband will not go with a simple divorce....there is going to be a trial, and the date has been set.

My question is just a curious one....there are probably a hundred questions that she has to answer, along with providing financial documents docuomenting her answers.... starting in 2013!  She runs a small business....it is not a high earning business.....she does have a lawyer but does this sound 'normal'?  I might understand it if there was a lot of money involved, but there is not.

Do you think her husbands lawyer is just playing games...making her run around in circles just because he can?....the paperwork is unbelievable!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Legal question.....

[ Edited ]

It is normal, but make sure to tell her to show anything she is providing to his lawyer to her lawyer first.       

Honored Contributor

I think if you are paying a lawyer you ought to do as he advises and not listen to a bunch of women who don't know anything on a internet chat room.

Respected Contributor

What does her lawyer say? I assume she is well represented. If not, she must hire a lawyer. NOW.

Respected Contributor

Re: Legal question.....

[ Edited ]

The only piece of advice you should be giving her is to get a good lawyer. 

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe....sorry if I did not make it clear, she does have her own lawyer, her husband has a different lawyer.....his lawyer is the one that has made all these document requests.

To me her lawyer should have told him NO! but I am guessing you can't do that...I don't know, that is why I was asking

She has to answer all the questions and then she will be going over them with her lawyer next week....it just seems over kill to me....

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs   I am sorry I changed my response after I read it again.   I have been through divorce and here is my take on it.   Lawyers will keep divorce going as long as they can.  The longer it goes on , the more money they make.  Also a lot depends on why they are divorcing.   (not asking for information)   So many factors go into it.  Is this the first divorce, if not then that also changes things.  If she makes more money then he does, she will have to pay him alimony.  I agree with OP that a board like this, isn't really a good place for answers.  You almost have to know all the facts to say.  MO

Respected Contributor

The best person to ask would be her lawyer.  I would assume her lawyer knows of the information her attorney is requesting so my guess is it is normal.  Emphasis on guess.

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

Do you think her husbands lawyer is just playing games...making her run around in circles just because he can?....the paperwork is unbelievable!

IMO, there is  no way any of us could know the motivation behind your acquaintance's husband's lawyer's request for information. 

Honored Contributor

...I am NOT giving her advice...just a helping hand. We are not close friends....she needed help in getting information around and she asked me to help her and I was happy to help her, she is very overwhelmed.

As I mentioned my question is only curious....I just thought the HUGE amount of paperwork and documentation seemed really over kill to me.

She does not make much money, he earns considerable more......I only asked because I am curious if this is normal procedure.