Honored Contributor

Re: Leasing a Vehicle vs Purchasing

If you are making payments, you don't own the car.

Just buy the car outright and get the title.

@Ibby114 wrote:

@software wrote:

Leasing is a scam.    So if you are financially stable, just buy outright.    

I buy cars, no payments.    Another scam, financing a car.   Even at zero interest.

I agree with you.

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm not a fan of leasing. You pay and you pay and you pay and at the end of the lease you have nothing. 

@software 

How is financing a car at 0% a scam? Woman Indifferent ??

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

When you buy a car at 0% interest you pay more for the car . They make the same money - just words on a paper - pay it now or pay it later - but you will pay it.

Don't let the dealership know your method of payment when you're negotiating the price. Don't let them  know if there's a trade in also - get a price based soley on the car. The negotiation needs to be in your hands rather than the dealerships.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

If you are making payments, you don't own the car.

Just buy the car outright and get the title.

This is ultimately the goal- but it's not a scam to have 0% interest over a couple years timeframe. The money you would have paid upfront could be earning interest elsewhere.

@Ibby114 wrote:

@software wrote:

Leasing is a scam.    So if you are financially stable, just buy outright.    

I buy cars, no payments.    Another scam, financing a car.   Even at zero interest.

I agree with you.

@gidgetgh wrote:

I'm not a fan of leasing. You pay and you pay and you pay and at the end of the lease you have nothing. 

@software 

How is financing a car at 0% a scam? Woman Indifferent ??

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

When you buy a car at 0% interest you pay more for the car . They make the same money - just words on a paper - pay it now or pay it later - but you will pay it.

Don't let the dealership know your method of payment when you're negotiating the price. Don't let them  know if there's a trade in also - get a price based soley on the car. The negotiation needs to be in your hands rather than the dealerships.

They will simply tell you that the car is not available for a 0% loan at that price.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

They will simply tell you that the car is not available for a 0% loan at that price.

When I went shopping for my new vehicle, I did my research and determined a price above which I would not go.  I had a dealership tell me I was being unrealistic in my bottom line.  I told him, 'You have 1 car to sell to me while I have several dealers from whom I can purchase.  Good bye.'  I found 2 dealerships that agreed to my price, which based on my research, I felt fair.  I was told that based on my high credit rating, I qualified for 0% for 60 months.  I called my financial advisor from the dealership's office and he told me to go for it.  He said whenever you can use someone else's money for free and keep your money invested, it's a no brainer.  The deal was in my hands.  I got the price I wanted as well as 0%. I felt it was a win-win as the dealership never loses money. I'm very satisfied and love my new car.   docsgirl

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

That hasn't been my experience, if 0% is offered by a manufactuer for a period of time it's offered  for all models detailed in their offer. I negotiate the price for the car and THEN talk about how I'm  paying for it. If the salesperson tries to talk financing, trade in,etc early on I re-direct  the conversation back to the car price. Whoever controls the conversation wins! 

Respected Contributor

I bought a new 2017 Subaru Forester last year & used Costco's Auto Buying Service & it was the most hassle-free car buying experience I've ever had.   I had to special order the car, because I wanted a certain color interior (I live in the desert SW & no way did I want a black leather interior) & I ordered the car the last part of Sept. after the salesperson at the dealership checked the whole of the US for the interior & exterior colors (Sepia Bronze Metallic with a Saddle Brown leather interior) I wanted & no dealer in the country had one unsold on their lot.  They gave me a delivery date of Jan. 2017, but my new car arrived a week before Christmas & I picked it up a day later after they'd gotten the windows tinted.  I traded in a 14½ year old Forester & the whole transaction was so stress free it amazed me.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

How on earth did you decide that?  Yes, it happens to some people but most of us know how to find out what cars really sell for and know what we should be paying nowdays.  

Dealerships have to sell cars to survive.  Someimes they even sell them a loss, sometimes they offer special financing to move out cars they have too many of.  

Its all a numbers game and I think you are underestimating the smarts of people here to make a blanket statement like that.  

Esteemed Contributor

Consumer Reports has a new car issue. You can compare the price difference between leasing and buying at the car company site. 

Honored Contributor

In your case, leasing the Cadillac would make sense, but no need to go fancier than a Caddy.  We still buy cars, looking for zero interest deals or paying outright to avoid interest. We also keep our cars for at least seven years. However with your age and good financial situation, I can see why leasing is appealing.