Trusted Contributor

I live a very scheduled life!  I no longer work and neither does my husband but yet I love living on a schedule..most people just don't get why!  I don't either!  I get up at exactly the same time every morning which is about 6:30 and is about 1 hour before my husband!  I love the peace and quiet of the early morning!  At 8:00 a.m. we have breakfast and then at 8:30 I start my housework for the day and I am usually done with that by 11:00!  Between 12:00 and 1:00 we have lunch!  I make mine and he makes his!  Rest of the day I usually read, watch TV or do my volunteer work, or maybe go shopping!!  At 4:30 I start dinner and we eat about 5:30!  I feel I have to be cleaned up from dinner by 6:15 or I feel anxious.  I am in bed at 9:00 reading or watching TV and my DH joins me about 10:00 and lights out! 

The schedule does vary on week-ends and holidays or special occasions!  A friend told me I should have been in the military!!Woman LOL

I have always been a high anxiety person!  Whenever I try and sleep late or let housework go I just become very stressed!!  I am not good at letting myself deviate from the schedule!  Anyone else like me?Woman Wink

Respected Contributor

Re: LOVE BEING ON MY SCHEDULE!!

Hi, I like a schedule too. Smiley Happy

I bought a Lilly Pulitzer day planner that I love.

I am flexible about my schedule because I have to change plans sometimes,

but having a schedule  makes me feel better.

I tend to waste a lot of time so a schedule keeps me calmer and more balanced.

Honored Contributor

Actually, no. I am the total opposite. Since retired, Every day is different including time getting up, all meals, etc. only thing, I am usually in bed between eleven and twelve. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

I live a very scheduled life!  I no longer work and neither does my husband but yet I love living on a schedule..most people just don't get why!  I don't either!  I get up at exactly the same time every morning which is about 6:30 and is about 1 hour before my husband!  I love the peace and quiet of the early morning!  At 8:00 a.m. we have breakfast and then at 8:30 I start my housework for the day and I am usually done with that by 11:00!  Between 12:00 and 1:00 we have lunch!  I make mine and he makes his!  Rest of the day I usually read, watch TV or do my volunteer work, or maybe go shopping!!  At 4:30 I start dinner and we eat about 5:30!  I feel I have to be cleaned up from dinner by 6:15 or I feel anxious.  I am in bed at 9:00 reading or watching TV and my DH joins me about 10:00 and lights out! 

The schedule does vary on week-ends and holidays or special occasions!  A friend told me I should have been in the military!!Woman LOL

I have always been a high anxiety person!  Whenever I try and sleep late or let housework go I just become very stressed!!  I am not good at letting myself deviate from the schedule!  Anyone else like me?Woman Wink

wow--2 1/2 hours of housework every morning!  Your house must sparkle....I don't do that much housework in a week!!  I'll blame it on our old age failing vision!!!

@Newgate wrote:

Respected Contributor

I've been retired over 2 years and don't have a schedule at all.  Since retiring I've become more of a night owl - sometimes up until 2:00am - which means I may sleep til 11:00.  Also, most of the time I only have 2 meals a day - breakfast and dinner.  I had a very dear friend who was on a strict schedule and I never understood it but I guess it works for some people.  I wish I was a little more disciplined but this seems to work for me.   

Trusted Contributor

Funny, now that I think about it I guess I have a schedule I like to stick to as well.  Once I get up my husband has usually already left for work.  I feed our dogs, feed our birds, and make sure all the feeders and birdbaths are filled.  Then I throw some bread out front under the bushes for the sparrows.  They actually sit on the windowsill waiting for their bread in the morning, lol!  I like to run errands in the morning then once I get back I make lunch and take the dogs out back.  I check our pond, make sure the fish are fed (in the warmer months) then spend the afternoon cleaning or doing yard work in the spring & summer.  I walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes every afternoon then get dinner started once my husband gets home.  Clean up the dinner mess, watch TV, go to bed.  It works for me ~ I'm surrounded by people & things I love.  I feel very blessed...sounds like you are, too, OP!  :-)

Honored Contributor

For me,  one of the major Joy's of retirement is not having to live on a schedule.   I pretty much do what I want to do when I want to do it.   Housework has really gone to pot as nobody sees it but me and the dogs.   It's just not a priority. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have never lived my life on a schedule even when I worked or went to school.  Of course, part of my life was scheduled for me, but not my free time.

i like every day to be different.  I have always decided what to make for dinner about an hour before I make it.  I am usually up late and sometimes I am up early and sometimes I sleep late.

Sometimes I am not even sure what day it is.  I guess it doesn't matter to me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought I was the only retiree who still enjoys a scheduled life. I still get up at 6, shower, dress, do my hair and make-up, and get ready to start my day. Instead of going to work, I go to the Y for my dance or strength-building classes. While I'm in the car I listen to my French CDs so that I can keep up my knowledge of the language. After the Y,  I do my errands. After I get home I shower (yes, 2 showers a day), have lunch with my husband, or go out to lunch with friends. In the afternoon I do my reading. Then, of course, there's taking care of my beagle, Maddie. My husband and I take turns with the feeding and walking. On Saturdays I go to my Weight Watchers' meeting. I'm at goal and want to stay that way so meetings are a must.

Of course there are always exceptions to my routine, e.g., travel or doctor appointments, but I try to keep up my M-F workouts regardless. I have retired friends who can't get their derrières in gear until late morning. I can't do that. I am definitely a morning person who does best when I keep to a schedule.

Respected Contributor

my mornings are basically the same even though the time varies slightly.  my late mornings and afternoons are filled with different activities every day except the weekends when i'm basically free.  i don't think i would like a rigid schedule.  it's just not my personality.