Esteemed Contributor

I love having a cell phone, enough that I recently cancelled my land line.  I am not home much and need a cell phone for emergencies on the road.  People can leave a message on my cell phone as easily as my home phone.  Texts are great when plans change a last minute.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

My solution with a cell phone has been that I just don't give out my number.   I've carried a cell phone for at least 15 years, and my number has been shared with only immediate family and closest friends.   I do not give my cell number to the dentist, doctors office or even the garage that's working on my car.   

I carry a cell for the sole purpose of maintaining contact with my daughters who are on the road a lot, and for our road safety traveling to appointments out of the local area.   When my daughters are in this house, my phone is usually charging somewhere.   When my daughters are on the road, my phone is always with me.    

Honored Contributor

All we have ever used are Tracfones. I only need it for emergencies. I really don't like talking on the phone. I do take it with me when I leave the house in case I lock myself out of the house. I cannot lock myself out of the car anymore as my remote starter will not let me lock the doors if it's still inside. LOL!!!  If I have a flat tire I can call DH. I doubt I could change a tire. I have never done it & don't want to. 

Honored Contributor

Howdy @dex,

I won't say "good for you" because even though I have been technology geek since I was 15, cell phones? I broke down and got one a few years ago. 

The ice rink I booked for my adult hockey league games were using only cell time for rental fees. To keep from running past our designated ice time($3 per minute) from running over I bought a Tracfone. Only 1 person has that cell number and I am sure know who that might be.

Do take it with me when I'm out, but only turn it on to use it, or so that 1 person can call me. First time she called me I couldn't even figure out how to answer it. Who "swipes/left to right/right to left/up to down or down to up" just to answer a call? So since I knew how to dial out, I called, only to keep getting voice mail. Finally got through and got clued in how to answer my particular brand and model cell.

Buy a new one every year online as it is the cheapest way to renew before my year expires. Add minutes would cost me $30-$40 more than buying new. About $6 a month with my present phone. 

Yep, it's smarter than me, but I have never used it for anything but the original purpose of Mr. Alexander Graham Bell, which I believe was to carry on a conversation with another person. I use my computer and tablet if I want to do other things, thank you.

I would say, "enjoy, but"! Oh heck, enjoy this thing will ya!

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@tarsmom@I still have my landline and that is what stopped me from buying the cell.I really don't need the cell but it was a free add on to our plan.I am uncomfortable talking on the phone when out and I feel like I have lost my freedom when I can be reached anytime anywhere.I want to experience whatever I am doing without the phone's intrusion...if that makes sense.

That's exactly how I feel and the only people that have my cell number are family.  I don't give it to anyone and don't care if they look at me like I have 3 heads when I tell them I don't have one.

Esteemed Contributor

I finally got an iPhone this past black Friday and I'm so glad I did. I had your basic cellphone for years.

I love my iPhone.

Honored Contributor

Slowly but surely you will use it more & more until you'll begin to wonder how you got along before you had it.

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@tarsmom@I still have my landline and that is what stopped me from buying the cell.I really don't need the cell but it was a free add on to our plan.I am uncomfortable talking on the phone when out and I feel like I have lost my freedom when I can be reached anytime anywhere.I want to experience whatever I am doing without the phone's intrusion...if that makes sense.

@dex

Doesn't make sense to me. It is easy for me to be in control since only 1 person knows my number, and unless I am expecting her to call, my phone is turned off. I don't even have my voice mail set up, so nobody can leave anything on it. To me it is like any of MY electronics, I control them and most of the time they follow MY orders, but do rebel on occasion.

Not too many things in life that can make me feel uncomfortable, and certainly not in the electronics or Ai field. No such thing as me being reached at anytime with any type of device. How or why a cell phone makes you feel that way I don't quite follow. Does your landline make you feel the same way when you are home? If I am home, I don't care who calls, it is up to me if I choose to be available to a caller, not them.

Gotta get over that for starters with your cell phone. You cannot be reached at any time, if you so choose. Hang on, my phone is ringing, I'll be right back.           =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Re: I am up to the minute

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

Slowly but surely you will use it more & more until you'll begin to wonder how you got along before you had it.

@151949, for @dex that maybe, just maybe, will come to fruition, but it is not an inevitability. I have Had one, from dumb to my latest, very smart one, for about 11 or 12 years now. Don't have any more use for it than I did decades ago. I do however despise them more than in the past.

Many people are so enthralled with them them that they are impervious to what and who is going on around them. They are in some other universe that I never plan on experiencing. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

After I quit work, I was grateful NOT to be tethered to the world 24/7 by my cell phone. I have one which we take on road trips if we remember, but my iPad does just about everything I need it to do. Freedom!