Honored Contributor

Just got a cell phone...I finally caved to technology.It isn't the expensive Apple but an LG.I haven't taken it out of the house yet because frankly I keep forgetting to.I already have missed calls from my son who told me I need to turn it on to use it.He said it is not a display piece.LOL.

Valued Contributor

Re: I am up to the minute

[ Edited ]

I resisted getting an upgraded cell phone for a long time....I still don't "really" need one.  However, I do love it for texting and taking pictures to record special moments.  It does annoy me though that I have a landline, a work phone and have to have a cell phone.  I think of all the years I drove out of town for my job or visiting friends 3 hours away by myself and no one had a phone and did just fine.  My biggest PP is everyone walking around looking at their phone - it looks like we've all lost our minds!    

Honored Contributor

Welcome to the 21st century! I went kicking and screaming into it myself!

I have a smart phone, finally getting it a few months ago. It lives in my car for the most part, and I too, tend to go off places and forget it. I never have my data turned on, and pretty much just use it as a phone.

Don't let people bully you into believing you have to be tied to the thing, and have to respond to people's texts or calls within minutes or they will send out the authorities! Use it they way you need or want to. I still get people in a tizzy because I don't live and breathe by the thing! They know to call my home phone and leave a message first and foremost, as that is my most direct contact. My cell is just a backup for me when I want it, not for THEM, because they think I should be like them.....married to that thing!

Honored Contributor

@tarsmom@I still have my landline and that is what stopped me from buying the cell.I really don't need the cell but it was a free add on to our plan.I am uncomfortable talking on the phone when out and I feel like I have lost my freedom when I can be reached anytime anywhere.I want to experience whatever I am doing without the phone's intrusion...if that makes sense.

Esteemed Contributor

We  have one for my husband's job, my husband has an inexpensive one that we use to talk to each other on his breaks or if he has questions while on the road, but I have not taken the plunge, I used to say never, but now I no longer use that word.

Esteemed Contributor

I've had a cellphone for years & love it.I love texting & taking pictures.I love that I can be reached in case of emergencies.I love knowing that if I ever have car problems I can call for help.

When I want to be left alone to shop or have lunch with a friend I mute the phone.This way I'm in control not the phone.

Esteemed Contributor

Remember, YOU are in control of the phone.

The phone is not in control of you.

It's perfectly okay to let any calls go to voicemail.

The world isn't going to end if you don't respond to a call or text a nanosecond after getting it.

Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2LOL you are right and thanks.

Respected Contributor

@dex - I don't have a landline anymore - just use my cell - don't call many people or receive or send many texts.  But here in Indiana in the winter, I love it just in case I get stuck out on the road somewhere by myself (I live alone) - can call a friend to help me out - it's basically a safety thing for me. 

Honored Contributor

I finally got a smart phone last year, but never used the text feature. I finally decided to try my hand at it and texted my millennial son. My son thought someone stole my phone or he was being pranked. He couldn't believe his Hippie anti tech Mum would spend her time texting.LOL