Honored Contributor

@dmod nj wrote:

Jazz is a mature, smart, beautiful, young lady.   I think she and her parents are brave to let us have a glimpse into their world.

I hope other young men and women  watching and don't feel so alone.  I hope others watching have many of their  questions answered.  I hope it gets others thinking what they have in common.  We are so much more alike than different.

For anyone who has never met or had any contact with a transgendered person, I hope watching the show makes them think before being nasty, mean or insulting. 

Well said! This show has the potential to save lives and I think that's important.

Honored Contributor

I saw the previews of this show.

Have i watched it? no

Will i ?

i don't knw.

But we all of the option to not watch/or to watch.

It's a choice we have.

preds 06-21-20
"Always be thankful andyou'll have more than you know."
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't see the show but saw the announcements.  Was the child a hermaphrodite?  She's too young to know what she really is.  I think it would be better to just live her life and not be on television with her story.  Better to wait until she's got more years behind her to share her life.  Age 14 is kind of not the static point of your life. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

@goodstuff wrote:

Many of us (myself included) have never in our lives known a "transgender" person.  Suddenly, being transgender is out of the shadows; it's hot; it's accepted; heck, it's downright fashionable.  Now we're to be knocked over almost daily by trans magazine covers, news articles and reports, TV documentaries end entertainment shows, national awards.........and now a TV series featuring a minor child presented as a transgender person. 

Shame on these parents for exploiting a minor child for gain.  And shame on the TV channel helping them and lining up their big cut of the deal.  Something more to confuse our already confused society and a whole generation of children growing up without knowing what it means to be a boy or girl, man or woman.  How many kids will be intrigued by the glamorized TV premise and decide they too are "transgender" and adopt the androgenous dress and lifestyle as easily as they adopted tattoos, pink hair, and body piercings last month or last year?

Are we messed up, or what?  Tragic.  And ridiculous.  Does any thinking person really believe previously unidentified trans people are suddenly realizing by the truckload that they were born in the wrong bodies........and popping out of every closet and cranny in the USA?  So weary of this destructive krap.  Any family facing an exceptional, rare case where a child sincerely and seriously experiences gender issues should caringly work with that child to help sort out the issues discreetly in private.

Oooh I so agree with everything you just said! In todays society everyone must have their own "label" or else they feel they won't conform. *Sigh*

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Re: I am Jazz (TV Show)

[ Edited ]

If people come out and teach others it will save so much tragedy

To imagine living in pain and shame for sixty five years.

The young kids who would rather die than experience the pain and bullying for something they are born with is a terrible crime.

I grew up knowing many gay people. I was taught that it was their right to talk about it but not mine.

Our home and friends were safe, but so many places and work places etc were not. Thank God things are moving forward in this country.

Learning to love and care for one another is most important. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: I am Jazz (TV Show)

[ Edited ]

@hennypenny wrote:

If people come out and teach others it will save so much tragedy

To imagine living in pain and shame for sixty five years.

The young kids who would rather die than experience the pain and bullying for something they are born with is a terrible crime.

I grew up knowing many gay people. I was taught that it was their right to talk about it but not mine.

Our home and friends were safe, but so many places and work places etc were not. Thank God things are moving forward in this country.

Learning to love and care for one another is most important. 

Of for gosh sakes!  We are talking about a 65 year old man who lived his life as a successful man, won Olympic titles as a man, married several women as a man, and produced a string of children as a man.  Bruce Jenner would have exhibited much more character and courage to live up to the relationships and commitments he had already begun rather than ditching them all in late life to "find himself" selfishly at others' expense.  I found his ESPY awards speech grotesque and ridiculous, and the acclimation heaped upon it even moreso.  Especially since numerous outlets are now reporting that Jenner's representatives finagled his receiving the award and pressured the networks for extra airtime and attention.  IMO the Kardashian thirst for fame, money, and publicity at any cost contaminates the entire clan and all of its hangers-on.  We are fools if we fall for the hype.

Bruce Jenner is no hero.

Honored Contributor

I have nothing in the world against this child, I just feel it's another case of parents pimping out a kid to make money.

Respected Contributor

There's nothing educational about that show and it's not a show I will watch.  It's just jumping on that "Caitlyn" bandwagon.  The parents want to cash in on their child's life story and the network believes there's a huge audience of curious people out there.  And sadly they might be right.    

Contributor

Hi Goodstuff,

I couldn't have expressed myself any better than your post.  And I feel better going to bed tonight knowing that there's someone out there that feels the same way I do.  Thank you!

Sandra

Esteemed Contributor

I caught a repeat of the first episode last night. What amazed me the most is that Jazz knew there was a problem with gender identity from the time she first began to talk.  As a nursery school child, she asked when a fairy godmother would wave her magic wand and turn him into a girl. I was really taken aback when I heard that. I kept thinking that much more research is needed on this subject. You can't say that a three year old chooses a lifestyle, as some might mistakenly believe. So, the question is what factors come together to result in a transgender person.

One of the scariest issues concerns hormone treatment on a child. To avoid the development of male secondary "secks" characteristics, Jazz is receiving female hormone treatments, which lead to the development of female characteristics. The parents show concern about the repercussions of these treatments but chose to proceed with them anyway. I'd be worried about cancer or some other serious condition down the road. There doesn't seem to be a lot of information on what these hormones can do to the body of such a young person. Finally,  I don't think I'd want to have TV cameras in my home, watching the growth of a transgender teenager. The family says they're trying to educate the public and yield more tolerance. I hope that turns out to be the case.