Honored Contributor

Re: How to sign a Communion Card

@I am still oxox - I just want to chime in and say what a sweet thing you are doing! We are not Catholic either, and we were invited to our next door neighbor's children's First Communion. I can't remember what we gave their son, but their daughter liked jewelry, so I think we gave her a bracelet. It's been a while! 

I think pearl earrings are the perfect gift, and it's perfectly fine to sign your card G-d Bless. If you don't think your neighbors will understand the omission of the "o," you could explain it to the girl's mother. 

And what a wonderful learning experience you are giving this young girl! I think she is old enough to understand a simple explanation. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

The little girl next door will be making her first Communion in May. Is it proper to sign the card May G-d Bless. I am Jewish and have very little experience with this. Thanks all. 

That sounds perfect.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I made my First Communion in 1957. I don't remember any presents. But times change and a card and pearl earrings that the OP is giving is very thoughtful. I am sure her neighbor will love and cherish the card and the earrings. 

@50Mickey  Mine was in 1956.  I called my 99 yr old mother about my Holy Communion.  My parents didn't go to mine nor my brothers Holy Communions.  When I asked why not, her response was why should we, your father & I are not Catholics?   

According to my mother, my aunt just happened to be visiting at the time of my Confirmation not the HC.  She attended to be nosey.

I asked my Catholic neighbor, they also received no card or presents for HC.

Yea, times have really changed.

@Mz iMac  hope you don't mind my asking you this question. Did you and your brother go to the Catholic Church  with friends? It's so good that your parents didn't stop you both from going.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

I made my First Communion in 1957. I don't remember any presents. But times change and a card and pearl earrings that the OP is giving is very thoughtful. I am sure her neighbor will love and cherish the card and the earrings. 

@50Mickey  Mine was in 1956.  I called my 99 yr old mother about my Holy Communion.  My parents didn't go to mine nor my brothers Holy Communions.  When I asked why not, her response was why should we, your father & I are not Catholics?   

According to my mother, my aunt just happened to be visiting at the time of my Confirmation not the HC.  She attended to be nosey.

@Mz iMac  hope you don't mind my asking you this question. Did you and your brother go to the Catholic Church  with friends? It's so good that your parents didn't stop you both from going.

@Sage04  Don't mind at all.  None of my neighborhood friends nor my brothers friends were Catholic or attended a Catholic church.  They all went to a public school where my mother taught!  Ironic huh. Smiley Frustrated

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I am Roman Catholic. Yes, that’s very nice and it’s a lovely gesture that u are recognizing this young lady receiving this Sacrament.
Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac I don't know that I received cards either but then it was a LONG time ago. I do know my entire family was at the church and if not there, for the family party afterward. What I remember most is that my Mom had my hair cut in a short VERY short pixie cut and my hair is absolutely straight.  Getting the daggone veil to stay on was a real issue. Every time I moved, the headband slid and the veil slid back.  It made the nun in charge very unhappy which meant she was tremendously annoyed with me.

Even now my 7 year old self remembers that! 

Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox Hi, I am Catholic and God Bless is appropriate for aCommunion Card. Nice of you to send 1. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Sage04 wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

@50Mickey wrote:

@Sage04  Don't mind at all.  None of my neighborhood friends nor my brothers friends were Catholic or attended a Catholic church.  They all went to a public school where my mother taught!  Ironic huh. Smiley Frustrated

@Mz iMac  that is so funny. It really made me laugh. Guess they weren't expecting it. I know a 15 year old who attends Catholic School but goes to a different Church.

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox 

I think it is a lovely gesture that you recognize your neighbor with a card and gift for her First Communion. The pearl earrings are a perfect choice and I am sure she will love them.