Esteemed Contributor

How old does a child need to be before leaving them alone for a week or so?  I know it probably depends on the child and the level of responsibility, but generally.

Honored Contributor

I would never leave any child home alone for a week or more.

A college age young adult  would be the minimum, but I would not want him/her alone the entire time.

Trusted Contributor

I have 2 grandsons, ages are 17 and 16.  They are not left even overnight by themselves.  I think there are too many fears for their parents, and temptations for the boys.  They stay with us when their parents travel or are gone overnight. 

We left our college aged son (19? 20?) alone for a week when we were on a trip.  Checked in everyday, and asked the next door neighbors to keep an eye on the comings and goings at the house.  Everything was totally fine.

Honored Contributor

Young lady across the street was first left alone overnight or over the week end when she was 16.  If they go away on vacation for a week or more they take their son and daughter with them.

Honored Contributor

a "child" should never be left alone for a week.

Honored Contributor

Alone for a week is a long time...probably 18.I would have to make sure that they were responsible enough even at that age.Funny that I was married at 19 and thought I was very grown up.

Honored Contributor

I have no children. Have my own experiences and opinions however. If a parent has to ask? That child is too young, which is only the opinion of this happy, and childless, old man.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm sure there's legal statuates, but the other thing is how mature and responsible the child is.

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

How old does a child need to be before leaving them alone for a week or so?  I know it probably depends on the child and the level of responsibility, but generally.

I left my kids at home for two weeks during the summer months when they were 20, 15 and 14.  My older sister came over to stay with them after she got off from work and she spent the night at my house.

She worked during the day, so the two youngest ones were home alone off and on during the day time,

I was a nervous wreck and called often to check on them.  I was in Hawaii, and knowing I couldn't be there quickly if something happened added to my stress.

When my youngest was 18 and had graduated from HS, I felt comfortable leaving them home alone, but I still called daily.

Honored Contributor

I was scared out of my wits to stay home alone.......because my parents and grandparents told awful tales of peeping toms, kidnappers, the "man with the hook"...........rabid wolves......etc.    Then I moved out on my own, and forgot about all the "fairy tales"........

♥Surface of the Sun♥