Respected Contributor

Went this week to get my 2003 Honda CRV worked on - I had heard about the Honda HRV so I asked a salesman to show me one - really cute!  Sporty inside - the console kinda comes up around you like a sports car - has a hatch-like back.  But was surprised it was $22,000 compared to $28,000 for CRV.  Honda's are really good cars.  Mine still looks and drives great - course, I only have 60,000 miles on it.  The salesman told me my 2003 would be nickle and diming me to death and I should think of buying a new car - I told him that I could get a lot of nickle and diming done for $22,000! 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal

That salesman is doing his brand no favor whatsoever!

My husband in a mechanic, and my mom has a Honda CRV. Other family members have had Hondas for decades. Hondas do not typically nickle and dime you to death. They rarely need repairs, and when they do, the parts are more expensive than many cars, but because they need so little repair (are built to last), most people do not need to replace their Hondas for many many years. 

I know this guy was trying to sell a car, but he really made the brand look bad, and offered up advice that in my experience, just isn't true about Honda's.

Respected Contributor

I have a 2002 Honda CRV still going strong!  I've had a few things that have worn out along the way but nothing I would consider major. I have around 100,000 miles on mine. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@hoosieroriginal

That salesman is doing his brand no favor whatsoever!

My husband in a mechanic, and my mom has a Honda CRV. Other family members have had Hondas for decades. Hondas do not typically nickle and dime you to death. They rarely need repairs, and when they do, the parts are more expensive than many cars, but because they need so little repair (are built to last), most people do not need to replace their Hondas for many many years. 

I know this guy was trying to sell a car, but he really made the brand look bad, and offered up advice that in my experience, just isn't true about Honda's.

@Mominohio - he really was slamming his own product, wasn't he?  Hondas can't be beat!  Most of my problems have been brake problems over the years - the engine is going strong.

Esteemed Contributor

My car is a 2005 Acura MDX and I used to feel funny when I'd go into the dealership for appointments thinking I probably had the oldest car still being serviced there. So this past Monday I went in for an airbag recall thing & an oil change. Got to yapping with a group of other people in the waiting room and EVERY ONE OF THEM had a car older than mine. Now here you are another one! I LOVE IT knowing I'm not the only one hanging on to an older car.  Mine has 62 thousand something miles on it but one of the ladies I was talking to had a 2003 MDX with 232,000 miles on it and it was still going strong.

Super Contributor

None of their current vehicles interest me, but if they ever bring back the Element I'd buy one in a heartbeat. I'm on my second one ... over 140,000 miles and still going strong.

Respected Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

My car is a 2005 Acura MDX and I used to feel funny when I'd go into the dealership for appointments thinking I probably had the oldest car still being serviced there. So this past Monday I went in for an airbag recall thing & an oil change. Got to yapping with a group of other people in the waiting room and EVERY ONE OF THEM had a car older than mine. Now here you are another one! I LOVE IT knowing I'm not the only one hanging on to an older car.  Mine has 62 thousand something miles on it but one of the ladies I was talking to had a 2003 MDX with 232,000 miles on it and it was still going strong.

@shaggygirl - You get around about as little as I do! 

Trusted Contributor

I have you both beat!  My car is a 2000 BMW; a little over 80,000 miles.  I still love it.  Husband now bugging me to get something new and I guess he has a point; but I still love it; can't part with it.  Go figure.

The HRVs are really cute!  I see a few in traffic commuting and have noticed.  The small Buick is also cute but I have no clue as to their reliability.

Respected Contributor

@aggravated wrote:

I have you both beat!  My car is a 2000 BMW; a little over 80,000 miles.  I still love it.  Husband now bugging me to get something new and I guess he has a point; but I still love it; can't part with it.  Go figure.

The HRVs are really cute!  I see a few in traffic commuting and have noticed.  The small Buick is also cute but I have no clue as to their reliability.

@aggravated - I think a Honda is a much better vehicle than a Buick, just my opinion.  I always look at older cars on the road to see how they stand up to mine - most vehicles my CRV's age are rusted and sound like they are falling apart. 

Super Contributor

I recently got a Honda CRV and I love it. I gave away my car prior to it- a 2001 Toyota Corolla with over 160,000 miles on it. Ran great and It still had the original muffler. I gave it to a great kid here in town and I still see it zipping around running like a little top.  I am hoping to get as many miles out of my CRV!