Esteemed Contributor

Getting rid of "stuff" and guilty feeling.

Being retired I no longer need many of my nice outfits.  I am feeling a bit guilty having to DUMP them.  In my search I also found other kind of things as in kitchen gadgets, and household items never used.  Anyone have some suggestions for  decluttering without guilt... and what to get rid of.    My daughters, all four of them, DON'T WANT ANYTHING. NOTHING, NADA.  That kind of hurts and I have heard from others I AM NOT ALONE.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Getting rid of "stuff" and guilty feeling.

I donate no longer needed items to charity. That way you are helping others in need. I'm sure someone would appreciate your items.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Respected Contributor

You are not alone.  I declutter without any guilt what so ever.  Like you I am retired and I just don't need as much stuff.  I live with my daughter so I don't have any household items, they are all hers.

Nobody wants more stuff even if there might be a sentimental value to it, because one day they are going to have to get rid of it. 

Trusted Contributor

Think of who you are helping, and the guilt will go away.  I put things in bags or boxes, and once I do that, I consider these things no longer mine, even before I take them away.

Honored Contributor

It is your stuff, you bought it, used it (or didn't) and paid for it.  If you don't want it, throw it away. You have every right on earth to do that and not feel guilty.  

IF it is something really nice and you WANT someone else to have it, donate it.  Salvation Army has trucks in most areas that will come get it all boxed up and put on the porch.

I don't think anyone in this country should feel guilty about not donating something.  I donate a lot and charities are FLOODED with things--especially clothing.  SO if you don't want it, don't need a tax deduction, and it is making you feel burdened to have it:

T H R O W   IT  OUT!!!!!

Respected Contributor

Gosh, there's no reason for you to feel guilty about getting rid of things you don't need or want. 

Can you explain further what you mean?  Guilt is usually associated with doing something wrong.  Why do you feel it's wrong to get rid of things you don't need and won't use?  Please understand, I'm just puzzzled that decluttering would make you feel guilty and am trying to understand. 

Honored Contributor

Only guessing that the OP's daughters don't want her things.     My own mother was very insulted that I wouldn't take her old clothes.....wrong size, wrong decade, etc.    She felt that she was trying to "help" me, and I was ungrateful.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

I can guarantee that once you have donated the items you no longer want, you won't give them a second thought.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

Getting rid of clothes that no longer fit, or have had for a long time and there is nothing wrong with them or I am just tired or bored with it does make me feel guilty. Sometimes I buy clothing and then decide I don't like it and by then it is too late to return.  I think it comes from growing up poor, well not actually poor but almost.  I get ready to throw something out or donate, then I start thinking.... I paid good money for this, no buttons missing or no broken zipper, no rips, color not faded, not pilled, and on and on.  Once in a while I will go through my closet and pull out a few items, and just mentally force myself to quickly bag them up and immediately get it out of my house and straight to the dumpster or donation bin.  I need to strike fast while the "iron is hot".

Honored Contributor

I find it a liitle tough,just throwing away items, that someone else could use, i would rather donate,and at least maybe some one would want it.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.