Valued Contributor

Dog rescued from highway median then adopted out

They just did a story of a little dog who got caught in the median on a busy Arizona highway during rush hour.   She was spotted by someone running the cameras (monitoring traffic), then rescued and placed at the shelter where she found her forever family.  

Sorry I can't find a good news story to link to on this one.  I just wanted to share the heartwarming tale.

Honored Contributor

Re: Dog rescued from highway median then adopted out

Awwww, so glad the pup was saved and found his forever home! Thanks for sharing!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Try:   AZfamily.com

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

Thank you, you put a smile on my face.

Respected Contributor

This is such a familiar story.  About 18 years ago I was driving down Interstate 12 (a four lane w/median) here in Louisiana, and saw something small and sort of white run across one side and into the median. I couldn't pass it by. Pulled off the road in rather heavy traffic and got out of the car, hoping that it wouldn't see me and try to run to me. It didn't. It was frozen in terror.  I wasn't sure if it was a dog or a cat, but I had to try to help it.  I finally got across my two lanes and into the median - and let me tell you it's a scary thing to try to cross a busy interstate on foot.  This little creature came runing to me and literally lept into my arms.

It stunk.  It was filthy and covered in trash, fleas and heaven knows what else.I put it in the back seat, but it jumped up and perched on my back between me and the seat.  I went stsraight to the vet and dropped it off - IT was a little female Lhasa Apso.  He cleaned it up for me to pick up later that day, and put a note in the local paper that she had been found.  When I got back late that afternoon he had a little white Lhasa, wearing a new light blue rhinestone collar and leash waiting.

Long story short, she never left.  We named her Tootsie and she lived out her life with us, along with our other pups. She probably was about a year old when I found her, and she lived to be 14. Even though we tried to find her real home, we never succeeded.  Since she was wandering the highway near a rest area, we felt that maybe she had jumped from a parked car, and that even though the owners searched for her, they finally had to go on. She had clearly been lost for a while.  Anyway, she gave us lots of love and received the same.  And thus ends our highway story.

Respected Contributor

I live in the Phoenix area and have been following the story of Dottie, the dog that was rescued from the median.  Yesterday on the local news they had a story about her.  So many people showed up interested in adopting her that they had to have a drawing.  It showed the couple who adopted her.  They were so thrilled to have her and she will have a "sister" named Minnie.  When I first saw the story I couldn't get her out of my mind and would check online with the rescue organization that took her in while trying to find her owner.  I even wondered if I should consider adopting her but I already have a dog and a cat.  So happy she found a good home. 

Valued Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

This is such a familiar story.  About 18 years ago I was driving down Interstate 12 (a four lane w/median) here in Louisiana, and saw something small and sort of white run across one side and into the median. I couldn't pass it by. Pulled off the road in rather heavy traffic and got out of the car, hoping that it wouldn't see me and try to run to me. It didn't. It was frozen in terror.  I wasn't sure if it was a dog or a cat, but I had to try to help it.  I finally got across my two lanes and into the median - and let me tell you it's a scary thing to try to cross a busy interstate on foot.  This little creature came runing to me and literally lept into my arms.

It stunk.  It was filthy and covered in trash, fleas and heaven knows what else.I put it in the back seat, but it jumped up and perched on my back between me and the seat.  I went stsraight to the vet and dropped it off - IT was a little female Lhasa Apso.  He cleaned it up for me to pick up later that day, and put a note in the local paper that she had been found.  When I got back late that afternoon he had a little white Lhasa, wearing a new light blue rhinestone collar and leash waiting.

Long story short, she never left.  We named her Tootsie and she lived out her life with us, along with our other pups. She probably was about a year old when I found her, and she lived to be 14. Even though we tried to find her real home, we never succeeded.  Since she was wandering the highway near a rest area, we felt that maybe she had jumped from a parked car, and that even though the owners searched for her, they finally had to go on. She had clearly been lost for a while.  Anyway, she gave us lots of love and received the same.  And thus ends our highway story.

@Perkup, you are an angel!   Thank you for sharing your story.

Trusted Contributor

@Deb1010yetagain

Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.  I love dogs!  I can't stand

hearing anything but stories with happy endings when it comes to

dogs.

Honored Contributor

Not to be ugly, I just have to think there's justice.  Sincerely hope there's a "special place" where the abusers of children, adults, and animals go and never leave.

Esteemed Contributor

ECBG, Me too.

We live in a rural area. About a month ago, I noticed this little calico cat. She wouldn't let me get too close. I started putting food out for her. After she let me pet her, she just ran in the house one day, started looking around. I think she had been an inside cat. Uses litter box. Not sure if she willl ever go back outside. Haha.

But, seriously, we have coyotes here. Whoever dropped her off should be ashamed. People are just heartless.