Respected Contributor

Re: Does anybody watch Judge Judy just to watch ...

I like when she moves in for the kill...

"How do you support yourself? Make it fast-I've got better things to do today and they're serving sushi for lunch...."

"Uhhhmmmm...."

"UHHHMMM is not an answer!!!!! How do you support yourself???"

"I don't have a job....and I take care of my three kids during the day..."

" So you mean me and Byrd are supporting you. Okay...move on...What's your defense?"

" I axxxxed if she could loan me some money to buy a new I-phone and....."

"You're a MORON!!!!!! There -you said LOAN-She LOANED it to you. Pay her back!!

Judgement for the plaintiff for the amount of one thousand dollars.

You don't need a phone you need to get a JOB!!!

Your case is dismissed!"

Trusted Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Just thought of something to add. I really despise the way she tells people to move when they have a difficult living situation or landlord. Not everybody is so rich, Judge Judy that they can pack up their bags and move when they feel like it. The woman doesn't have a clue. She filthy rich and wouldn't understand what it is to live without a lot of money if she fell over it.

Bottom line - do you remember WHY the litigant was in Court ?  There are people who complain their living conditions where intolerable.  

They did not pay rent in protest.

They did not put the rent into a separate account - which I cannot remember what it is called.

Then they complain because they are evicted.  

If someone is so bad off they cannot get the funds from someone for their security deposit - yes - things are sad.  

If they can't promise to repay the money they BORROWED when they get their security deposit back then they need to seriously re-think what they are doing wrong. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

I like when she moves in for the kill...

"How do you support yourself? Make it fast-I've got better things to do today and they're serving sushi for lunch...."

"Uhhhmmmm...."

"UHHHMMM is not an answer!!!!! How do you support yourself???"

"I don't have a job....and I take care of my three kids during the day..."

" So you mean me and Byrd are supporting you. Okay...move on...What's your defense?"

" I axxxxed if she could loan me some money to buy a new I-phone and....."

"You're a MORON!!!!!! There -you said LOAN-She LOANED it to you. Pay her back!!

Judgement for the plaintiff for the amount of one thousand dollars.

You don't need a phone you need to get a JOB!!!

Your case is dismissed!"

Priorities - I could afford a iphone 6 (making payments) but I am happy with my Samsung 5 I paid $100 and pay $35 for unlimited text and telephone and internet. 

I don't understand people who are poor keep paying these expensive phones.  If someone robs me in Baltimore City they will be sorely disappointed with my phone.

Honored Contributor

Co-worker's daughter was on Judge Judy years ago. Co-worker (will call her "Mom") wasn't thrilled because she believed her daughter was 1) wrong and 2) looking for 15 minutes of fame but "Kid" is an adult so, there you go.

It was fascinating to learn how it works.

The case is reviewed in great detail BEFORE the parties stand before her. If you lie, you're going to be caught because she already knows the fact and is simply comparing what you have to say to the facts. What we see on TV is severely edited as each case is in front of her for an hour or longer UNLESS it's so obvious that she is able to rule within 15/20 minutes of hearing both sides talk. 

In some cases, JJ DOES contact outside authority's as well as by going on air, you "out" yourself to those you may be hiding from (child support cases, tax evasion, etc) and she does check for outstanding warrants.

As ALWAYS, we are watching a show specifically crafted for TV and ratings. What REALLY goes on is not show because no one would watch it.

Her daughter lost, btw (and that was the correct verdict even before she showed up).

Esteemed Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

... her get mad at the Litigants ?  One of my girlfriends are I are waiting for the gavel top to fly off when she starts banging among other 'attributes'.  

@sktchy I love Judge Judy!  Her show has been on for twenty seasons!  That does say something about her like-ability.  I watch it, knowing that a great deal of what is transpiring in front of the Camera is for entertainment.  

The people who sign on for her to hear their cases know this and of course, any money awarded in the lawsuits are paid by a third party and not the litigants and defendants.  I thought everyone knew this.  

Judge Judy has created a new Judge show that I watch when I'm up at the time.  It's called Hot Bench with three judges hearing one case.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@2blonde wrote:

I think a lot of it's for show and for ratings.  I saw her in an interview once, and she seems quite normal and friendly.  The judge I really love is Judge Marilyn on the People's Court.  I want to hang out with that lady!

I thought people understood this to be true @2blonde.  The cases are 'real" but she's not actually making any decisions from that bench.  They've been made prior to airing.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I think we do not like to think people are that stupid, I think it even scares us, but they are. Judge Judy has made a fortune off the stupidity of others and the fact that people like to watch it.

If set aside your own personal feelings - listen with an open mind - she makes sense.

@sktchy, but you don't like her show?

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I watch her every day.  I only watch the new shows.

she can get testy.

some of her decisions I agree with, others I just wonder what was said off camera to cause a case to be dismissed.

Honored Contributor

I think she has become burned out in her job.   I hate the way she belittles people who are not too bright but are doing the best they can.   She's just plain mean.   Her comment "if it doesn't make sense,  it's not true" ,  is flawed. She needs to quit saying that.  That's no way to administer justice. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@sktchy wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I think we do not like to think people are that stupid, I think it even scares us, but they are. Judge Judy has made a fortune off the stupidity of others and the fact that people like to watch it.

If set aside your own personal feelings - listen with an open mind - she makes sense.

I'm glad I didn't hear her say that on TV, it's one thing for the general public to say stuff like that and think it's funny, but not someone who has any kind of power over any one.