Honored Contributor

Re: Do You Know Many Women over the Age of 45 Who Regret not Having Children?

But they didn't want the cake topper, so they tossed it, what should they do with it?
Respected Contributor

I agree with the person who said if you don't have that screaming desire to have a child, then don't.  If you have to ask for opinions on this, you don't have that screaming desire.  

JMHO

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Julie928 wrote:

In reference to the younger generation not placing value on items passed down (and I apologize in advance ~ I don't mean to take this thread in a different direction).

I collect vintage wedding cake toppers.  I purchased one at an estate sale a few years back.  It included the chalkware bride and groom, some glittered bells (must have been on the cake) and two small hard plastic babies.  I like to know the history of the cake topper if I can and was saddened to find out the children of the lady who passed away threw this entire treasure into the garbage!  The lady I bought it from worked in a nursing home and found it there in a plastic sandwich bag.  What's really sad is the two plastic babies that were included symbolized the two children that threw it in the trash.  Kind of ironic, huh?

But you don't know how things turned out in all those lives. Sad perhaps, but maybe not for reasons you might suppose. Perhaps there was a divorce - or more than one. Perhaps there was abuse. Perhaps there was addiction. Perhaps one of the parents, or both, were not lovable and/or good parents. Perhaps the children were both boys, in which case I wouldn't think a wedding cake topper would mean much.

It's tempting to think that all parents, and all families, are like Leave it to Beaver and Father Knows Best, but it just isn't so. I don't judge what I have no way of judging.

Or maybe they just don't want to store it and it means nothing to them. . . It doesn't make them closer to the loved ones or bring them back.  That's what I've learned the hard way.

Honored Contributor

I haven't read any replies and will go back and do so but I just had to comment.  My daughter will be turning 30 in just about two weeks!  First I can't get over how fast time flies!!

She's not married but has a lot of friends. So she has an active social life but no one special.  As her mom (I really try to say very little because I realize that it's not going to change things but only annoy her) I worry about her finding that someone to share her life with and having kids.  When she was in her early 20s she told me that she did want kids but not until she was in her 30s.  

I do think that she believes that it will happen someday.  Who knows though?  I just hope she doesn't have any major regrets but I think most of us do have some regrets in our lives.

Honored Contributor

No, not a one. Hoever, I know many women over the age of 45 who regret HAVING children.

Many.

Trusted Contributor

@DiscountDiva wrote:

Wow! Thank you so much for all your replies. I see that many of the women on here have known from an early age that they did not want to have children. I've always been very ambivalent. Let me ask you something about fertility. I don't smoke, drink, and have never used contraceptives in the past. How would this affect my fertility? I remember buying a turquoise necklace here on QVC 5 years ago like it was yesterday! Before you know it I will be 35. That is when your biological clock really starts clicking. I better start hitting the bars!

SAD.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Super Contributor

@cater wrote:

Madame-Queen and chickenbutt, I am not being smart or rude but I know a lot of people who have children and their children want no parts of family "treasures" as my sister calls them. some of the younger generation think what we have saved and treasured all our lives is junk or worth less and want no parts of it. I know it hurts some of the parents, aunts and uncles thinking I am saving this for ------- and then they find out -------- doesn't want any of it. So hope this makes you feel better hope when you decide to give your treasures make sure that the person you think would love to have them really wants them and will treat them with respect and not pitch them as soon as they are sure you have reached heaven.

I think you are assuming a different situation.  I was referring to my house in the event my husband and I go at the same time.  Not exactly worthless junk.

Super Contributor

@chickenbutt.  The whole point of your thoughtful post and my response was lost on someone projecting their own experience.  You don't need to explain yourselfWoman Happy

Frequent Contributor

I regret not having kids very much. I am 46. Last year was the hardest for me, but i still am having a very hard time coming to terms with it.

Trusted Contributor

Why do you say that?

A friend in need is a friend indeed.