Honored Contributor

Re: Dillema About a Nosy Person

I had a family member who had no qualms about asking personal questions; she was being nosy, and was well aware of it.   

On the other hand, when my best friend from high school met the man of her dreams after a bitter divorce, I had a lot of questions for him at our first meeting.  I wasn't being nosy, I was just making sure he was a good match for my friend.  My friend knew that, and so did he.  They have their 35th anniversary coming up this summer.   

Respected Contributor

@Calcgirl  Keep your chin up and a smile on your face.  Then deflect with word salad about the topic in general.

Honored Contributor

Just say something like 'Top secret', while smiling.........Then ask HER a question or two.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

As a last result, you can say, "Oh, my, if I told you that secret, I'd have to kill you."   lol

Honored Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

@AuntG wrote:

Never in a million years would I answer in the snide way suggested by many posters.  This is a person you may never see again in your life so just put up with it.  Be polite, chat with others and answer with generic and vague answers. I trust your significant other knows this person much better than you do so I'd trust his instincts on how to behave around the busybody.

Put up with it?!  Really?!  No way....

----------

Yes I don't see any reason to get bent out of shape by a busybody who I probably won't see again.  

Regular Contributor

@Big Sister wrote:

As a last result, you can say, "Oh, my, if I told you that secret, I'd have to kill you."   lol

Lol!

Respected Contributor

I am with others here - - if someone is rude enough to do this, I have no problem whatsoever being rude back.  My sister-in-law has a cousin that is exactly like this and recently she wanted me to go to the movies with the two of them and my comment was "if I were you, I'd make sure our paths never cross". 

I told my SIL - I don't feel I have to "spare" her cousin's feelings for her sake, case closed. 

Honored Contributor

@Calcgirl wrote:

I am considered a very outgoing person and have no trouble maintaining an intelligent conversation.  I do resent when people get nosy about very personal affairs.  Fred admits that she has always been a housewife ( apparently a bored one), and is the town gossip.

I do thank the ladies here for your suggestions.  I have decided if she starts her interragation again, I will turn it back on her and say, " Well enough about me, tell me about yourself."

I'd have to come up with something good for her to talk about! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I think telling some one to butt out is generational. I think all you have to say is "noneya".

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

We had a neighbor like this.  In regards to my social security I used to say, "You know, I'm not really sure.  The check just comes into the bank and all my bills are on auto-pay, so it just goes onto the house payment."  When asked how much DH makes, I said "He works in different jurisdictions and all union contracts are different.  I don't even pay attention to how many hours he works every week."  "As long as the bills are paid and nothing bounces, I'm just fine."  And I was.