Respected Contributor

Re: Did you relive a wonderful childhood memory this summer?

Hi, John.  You have been man enuf to make your own memories.  The gals in NV are thiking about you,too.

My instant summer memory is fresh sliced tomatos and Great Lakes royal blue skies.  We had plenty of those this year.

Honored Contributor

I guess I am a very fortunate person because my DH and I frequent the corner ice cream stand, either alone or with our campground friends, pretty often. And we love to take day trips, both here in Pa or when we are in florida and we always pack a picnic lunch in a cooler to go with us. Find somewhere quiet or pretty to eat.In Fl.that is often somewhere overlooking the Gulf of Mexico. I can't think of any relived childhood memories we did this summer, but I went horseback riding over the winter in Florida and I had not been riding for many years. I grew up on a farm and our next door neighbor bred and raised horses so I got to ride a lot as a child. 

Honored Contributor

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

What a nice post.

What I like to do to relive a part of my childhood, is on a hot, hot summer day, lie on my back in the grass and look at the clouds. 

Bring back the summers when I was a kid without a care in the world.  (Thanks, mom and dad, for the wonderful childhood!)

Ditto this-I also remember summers on the Jersey shore, going crabbing then cooking and eating the crabs right there on the beach. Then going to the band concert in the evening or over to Asbury Park. The boardwalk and all the games and food full of sugar, hahaha. Carefree days without a care in the world. I'd go back in a NY minute.

Respected Contributor

I really did not relive any specific memory this summer of my childhood but I do it on an ongoing basis. Had great parents and great maternal grandparents - and while coming off the depression and WWII was in full tilt, so many happy moments although there sure was no $$. I think - perhaps daily - of my older brother and I packing a peanut butter sandwich and trekking through the great woods of NC. We checked out creeks and marveled at the graphite in the creeks, dodged snakes and picked blackberries if Mother said she needed some. Times have changed. Today a kid would be in trouble for going on someone else's property, much less to pick berries, then it was welcomed and encouraged. And once a month Mother would take us to a "drive in" on the outskirts of Raleigh and we got a chicken salad sandwich and something to drink. What a big deal that was. Perhaps the happy times outweighed so many family members leaving to fight a war and a 27 year old army pilot uncle who did not return. Also I lost this brother to Nam injuries later in life - moments are cherished!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

What a nice post.

What I like to do to relive a part of my childhood, is on a hot, hot summer day, lie on my back in the grass and look at the clouds. 

Bring back the summers when I was a kid without a care in the world.  (Thanks, mom and dad, for the wonderful childhood!)

Ditto this-I also remember summers on the Jersey shore, going crabbing then cooking and eating the crabs right there on the beach. Then going to the band concert in the evening or over to Asbury Park. The boardwalk and all the games and food full of sugar, hahaha. Carefree days without a care in the world. I'd go back in a NY minute.

Do you remember Jonathan's fudge in Asbury Park and the big swan ride and peddle boats on the lake?  Also the indoor rides with the opening in the roof for the Ferris wheel.  I loved Asbury Park, great memories 

Trusted Contributor

Yes! Eating lobster dinners on the coast of Maine. Still do!

Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Judaline wrote:

@Peaches McPhee wrote:

What a nice post.

Do you remember Jonathan's fudge in Asbury Park and the big swan ride and peddle boats on the lake?  Also the indoor rides with the opening in the roof for the Ferris wheel.  I loved Asbury Park, great memories 

I wish I did!!!! I think I remember the flying scooters or some such ride. It's all a happy blur. I would have remembered the fudge-must have missed it. Dang!

Honored Contributor

my mom was a single working parent who was tired and cranky from stress but in the summer she would put her pressure cooked meal..stil In the cooker,into a red wagon and we walked to the park to eat.It was nice and cool in the park and my brother and I loved to stick our feet in the river.We weren't allowed to swim because my mom thought a current would carry us away.Those memories are happy and sad because I am sure my mom wanted to take us more places but we didn't have a car.