Honored Contributor

Re: Did you have a diary, or journal as a young person? Do you remember slam books?

Never heard of a slam book, but I always loved to write so I had a Dear Diary as a kid and later journaled. I came across a few of my old journals a few years ago and went through them and then burned them. I don't journal anymore, I color, don't want anyone reading about my trials and tribulations after my death.

Respected Contributor

Re: Did you have a diary, or journal as a young person? Do you remember slam books?

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

I grew up in  60s-70s and when I was young diaries were all the thing for girls way back when.  I did have a diary until I discovered my mother got into it and read my entries.  I'm n ot at all sure why she always felt the need to get into not only my stuff but my 2 sisters' stuff too.

I understand she & Dad 'asking questions' about what was going on in our young lives but mom went over the edge in being a total huge snoop - digging through our drawers in our bedrooms just trying to find things.  Not sure what she thought she'd find as none of us had anything to hide.  Anything she may have thought she'd find she'd then bring it up, throw it up in our faces out of the clear blue, blind siding us especially me most of the time.  She'd blurt out really hurtful things to us/me in front of my other sibs.  I'm not at all sure what she t hought she was trying to accomplish but all it did was push me farther and farther away from her.

She said somethings to to me that were extremely hurtful that I've never forgotten or forgiven her for.  Not a good way to live between mother & daughter.

I'm so sorry that your mother was so hurtful!  I don't understand why some parents treat their loved ones so badly.  I only hope that some good came from her bullying--as in the way you treated your own loved ones with dignity.

Honored Contributor

Never even seriously considered a diary or journal because my mother would have felt she had every right to read it.  

Honored Contributor

I kept a diary from 1978 until 2006.  I've since destroyed all of them.  I tried to resume journaling this year and managed an entry on New Years Day.  I'm so out of habit, I keep forgetting to journal.

We called them "opinion books" and they circulated in grade school.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Respected Contributor

No, no way.  I had 4 younger siblings and a nosy mom, I wouldn;t have been able to hide a diary.  I did write short stories when I was a girl..  I started writing them when I was about 7 and continued throough high school.  I wanted to be a writer at one time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the smile.  When I was a preteen we had little diarys that had a strap and key.  I had totally forgotten!

I do remember slam books.  I saw some very hateful things that were written.  If parents had ever seen those.............

Frequent Contributor

Yes I had a diary staring in jr high and all the way through high school. I remember slam books too.

*rememberance of my little sister. i miss you*