Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Ever "Pay It Forward"???

Rich or poor everyone feels special when they receive an unexpected treat.I think it inspires the recipients to give that same good feeling to another.That is how the good will spreads.

Valued Contributor

All the time.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

No, I haven't randomly paid a food tab for someone. I'd be uncomfortable if someone did it for me, so I don't think I'd do if for someone else.  This year, I'm buying restaurant gift cards for the nieces/nephews birthdays. There are a lot of them ranging in age from 26 to 54. Being that DH has such a large family, no one acknowledges birthdays in any significant way, so I thought this would be a pleasant surprise.

Honored Contributor

(thread title)

Yes. Many times and over many years. Not a "buy a cup of joe", a bit more personally connected, but also used(use) anonymity. That is my preferable way.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I have and I will going forward. Saw the Paying it Forward movie the other night. A good reminder and a good movie.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A 50-year-old woman and her elderly mother were ahead of me at the Wal-Mart checkout. They were short of money and having quite a discussion on how to pay. I caught the clerk's eye and motioned that I would help. She gave me a subtle "no" headshake. Turns out this little drama gets played out almost every day by this duo. This makes me so sad that people take advantage of others, but it has not deterred me from making a kind gesture when I can.  I guess if I get played it's on them and their conscience. The feeling of real pleasure is worth the bad apple, so to speak.

Respected Contributor

@SunValley wrote:

A 50-year-old woman and her elderly mother were ahead of me at the Wal-Mart checkout. They were short of money and having quite a discussion on how to pay. I caught the clerk's eye and motioned that I would help. She gave a a subtle "no" headshake. Turns out this little drama gets played out almost every day by this duo. This makes me so sad that people take advantage of others, but it has not deterred me from making a kind gesture when I can.  I guess if I get played it's on them and their conscience. The feeling of real pleasure is worth the bad apple, so to speak.

@SunValley...that is truly disgusting that people would do that. I guess I should not be surprised with all the scamming and theft going on these days. SMH.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Yes I pay it forward but prefer to keep it to myself. I tend not to "toot my own horn". I'm just not the bragging type. 

My mother would have liked you.  She always said if you do something nice for someone and then you go around announcing it to the world, you only did it to make yourself look good.  So, it doesn't count.    

Honored Contributor

@panda1234 wrote:

@chrystaltree you never know who really needs it, looks can be deceiving.

I suppose but it's not rocket science.  The guy driving the 2016 BMW behind me in the drive up line can pay for his own Egg McMuffin, I'm sure that.  The homeless guy who darts in and out of traffic washing windshields, probably can't.  So, him I'll buy a couple of burgers and fries for.  That's not to say that the "paying it foward" thing isn't nice thing to do.   

Esteemed Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

would never do this and would never accept from someone else

and never brag (humblebrag) on the internet about either.

@jackthebear, you would never take a nice gesture of kindness? 

*Call Tyrone*