Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Did You Ever "Pay It Forward"???

Had a really, really, REALLY, bad week at work.  I decided to treat myself to a shake at McDonalds for the ride home ... something I never do is eat at McDonalds.  Anyway, sitting in line waiting to pay at the drive-through (feeling sorry for myself) and I decided to do a good deed and pay for the person behind me -- a man alone in his work truck.  So I pull up and pay, tell the woman I'd like to pay for the person behind me.  So she rings it up and takes my card, gives me the receipt, and I stick in in my purse. A few hours later after I got home I was getting something out of my purse and i saw the receipt and took it out to throw it away .. well he must have been one hungry guy.  $28 later and a little more than I expected, but oh well.  Funny thing, my husband always gos out and gets us both coffee on the weekends and he's always telling me that it's happened where the person in front of him pays for his order.  It's never happened to me ever.  I told him he needs to pay it forward to another person at some point, but he never does.  Funny how things work out. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Did You Ever "Pay It Forward"???

Now that I heard about your $28 tab, I'll never do that type of thing.  No, I've done it and no one has ever done it for me.  I'm all for doing something nice for someone but I'd rather give it to someone who actually needs it.   

Honored Contributor

just curious.....did he know you were going to pick up the tab before ordering or after---if you ever want to pay it forwad again, you could donate a certain amount.  

Trusted Contributor

Buying someone McDonald's is not what "paying it forward" is about.
Esteemed Contributor

By the time you roll up to the window, the guy behind you has probably already ordered. Just ask, I'll pay for his order, how much extra will that be?

There are times someone in front has had their card declined. They get the card back, no receipt and pull away with no order. I would have gladly paid for them.

Respected Contributor

@makena wrote:

Had a really, really, REALLY, bad week at work.  I decided to treat myself to a shake at McDonalds for the ride home ... something I never do is eat at McDonalds.  Anyway, sitting in line waiting to pay at the drive-through (feeling sorry for myself) and I decided to do a good deed and pay for the person behind me -- a man alone in his work truck.  So I pull up and pay, tell the woman I'd like to pay for the person behind me.  So she rings it up and takes my card, gives me the receipt, and I stick in in my purse. A few hours later after I got home I was getting something out of my purse and i saw the receipt and took it out to throw it away .. well he must have been one hungry guy.  $28 later and a little more than I expected, but oh well.  Funny thing, my husband always gos out and gets us both coffee on the weekends and he's always telling me that it's happened where the person in front of him pays for his order.  It's never happened to me ever.  I told him he needs to pay it forward to another person at some point, but he never does.  Funny how things work out. 

When I do that I make sure to accompany the person to the cash register.  People on the street asking for money lately have been telling me the amount I should give them. One lady was actually driving her car around the parking lot asking for money to buy gas so she could get home!

Honored Contributor

Yes I pay it forward but prefer to keep it to myself. I tend not to "toot my own horn". I'm just not the bragging type. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

@makena wrote:

When I do that I make sure to accompany the person to the cash register.  People on the street asking for money lately have been telling me the amount I should give them. One lady was actually driving her car around the parking lot asking for money to buy gas so she could get home!

Oh that gas story or money for the bridge toll....hate it. While still in the parking lot, I will look at my receipt and call and ask for the manager. I will tell him/her what happened while the person is still there so they can come out.......and they have.

Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree you never know who really needs it, looks can be deceiving.

Honored Contributor

would never do this and would never accept from someone else

and never brag (humblebrag) on the internet about either.