Esteemed Contributor

Daily Positive Thread for Sunday

Hello my friends!  As I  sit here trying to count my blessings for this day, I remember years and years ago when growing up on the farm, we used to always watch Lawrence Welk on Saturday evenings.  That was a blessing watching it with my parents who loved that show, and now I watched it again with my husband tonight, it was aired in 1987 - so many wonderful memories.  Soon I'll be playing Canasta with my husband, another blessing.  We haven't played that for some years, so it's bringing back more memories. What about you?  What blessings would you care to share?

There is always a reason why people act as they do.  Lord, help me to be
more patient and understanding.  

S C R I P T U R E   F O R   T H E   D A Y  

"Through him you have come to trust in God, who raised him from the dead and
gave him glory, so that your faith and hope are set on God."  ~1 Peter 1:21

M E D I T A T I O N   F O R   T H E   D A Y

I can rely on God.  I can trust God to the limit.  I can depend on God's
power in all human relationships.  I can wait and trust and hope, until God
shows me the way.  I can wait for guidance in each important decision.  I
can meet the test of waiting until a thing seems right before I do it. Every
work for God can meet this test of time.  The guidance will come, if I wait
for it.

P R A Y E R   F O R   T H E   D A Y  

I pray that I may meet the test of waiting for God's guidance.  I pray that
I will not go off on my own.

"The Wolves Within"

An old Grandfather, whose grandson came to him with anger at a schoolmate who had done him an injustice, said, "Let me tell you a story. I too, at times, have felt a great hate for those that have taken so much, with no sorrow for what they do. But hate wears you down, and does not hurt your enemy. It is like taking poison and wishing your enemy would die. I have struggled with these feelings many times."

He continued, "It is as if there are two wolves inside me; one is good and does no harm. He lives in harmony with all around him and does not take offense when no offense was intended. He will only fight when it is right to do so, and in the right way."

"But the other wolf, ah! He is full of anger. The littlest thing will set him into a fit of temper. He fights everyone, all the time, for no reason. He cannot think because his anger and hate are so great. It is hard to live with these two wolves inside me, for both of them try to dominate my spirit."

The boy looked intently into his Grandfather's eye and asked, "Which one wins, Grandfather?"

The Grandfather solemnly said, "The one I feed."

Pickup in the Rain

One night, at 11:30 pm, an older African-American woman was
standing on the side of a Alabama highway trying to endure a lashing
rain storm. Her car had broken down and she desperately needed a ride.
Soaking wet, she decided to flag down the next car. A young white
man stopped to help her - generally unheard of in those conflict-filled
1960s. The man took her to safety, helped her get assistance and
put her into a taxi cab. She seemed to be in a big hurry! She wrote
down his address, thanked him and drove away. Seven days went by and a
knock came on the man's door. To his surprise, a giant
combination console color TV and stereo record player were delivered to
his home. 
A special note was attached. The note read: Dear Mr. James:
Thank you so much for assisting me on the highway the other night. The
rain drenched not only my clothes but my spirits. Then you came
along. Because of you, I was able to make it to my dying husband's
bedside just before he passed away. God bless you for helping me and
unselfishly serving others.
Sincerely,
Mrs. Nat King Cole.

PRAYER TO BEGIN THE DAY 

As Morning breaks I think of you, O Lord, and my desire is to serve You joyfully. With gladness, I consecrate this day to Your Sacred Heart, and offer whatever joys and sacrifices may come my way. Thank You for the graces You will send - all the love, all the beauty, and the ways You will answer my prayers. 

Today, may I love my enemies, and treat others as I would ask to be treated; may I forgive seventy-times-seven and show mercy; may I welcome the prodigal, have compassion for the Samaritan; be a peace-maker and love my neighbor unconditionally. Take all my heart, and mind and strength, O Lord, that this day may be truly lived for Your greater honor and glory and for the salvation of souls. Amen. 

Soul of Christ, Sanctify Me!

Soul of Christ, Sanctify Me! 
Make a saint of me. 
Show me how to rid myself of traits of character that annoy others; 
that make the lives of those about me miserable. 
Help me to break the hardened shell within which selfishness hides, 
and which renders me insensible to the needs of others. 
May I become great enough to be the servant of both rich and poor. 
May I grow strong in virtue, 
so as to sustain the weak and encourage the weary. 
May my heart increase its power to love, 
so as to be able to minister kindness to the timid and mercy to the wayward. 
May I have the honor to bring cheer to all my fellow men 
on the long and sometimes rugged road of life.

February 6 - Jesus Calling
Come to Me and rest. I am all about you, to bless and restore. Breathe Me in with each breath. The way just ahead of you is very steep. Slow down and cling tightly to My hand. I am teaching you a difficult lesson, learned only by hardship.
Lift up empty hands of faith to receive My precious Presence. Light, Life, Joy, and Peace flow freely through this gift. When your focus turns away from Me, you grasp for other things. You drop the glowing gift of My Presence as you reach for lifeless ashes. Return to Me; regain My Presence.
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
—Matthew 11:28–29

I want men everywhere to lift up holy hands in prayer, without anger or disputing.
—1 Timothy 2:8

Contributor

Re: Daily Positive Thread for Sunday

Hi Gloriajean, my blessings are many!  They include my family, my furbabies, and your daily posts!  God bless

Honored Contributor

@gloriajean Thank you for your posititve postings.  They are graciously accepted and appreciated.

Trusted Contributor

We used to enjoy watching Lawrence Welk too.

Blessings to all.

Harlene(lovestopaint)

Trusted Contributor

I watched the Welk show every Sat. night to.  I loved the Lennon sisters.  The youngest, Cathy was my age.  Are they all still living?  Would love to see them again.

My blessing is being able to breath better and not having to use the oxygen 24-7.  I stopped smoking!!!!!.  It took a long time and it was a battle, but Jesus helped me.  He is a great God.  How I love Jesus.  I asked for His help and He gave it to me.  What a blessing!

Gloria, is Mother Angelica still living?  I never hear anything about her.  What a dear lady.

God's blessing on all of you and have a good day.

Esteemed Contributor

luvswesties - thanks for posting your blessings, and I am so honored to be among them!  God bless you, dear!

Esteemed Contributor

annabellethecat - So nice to see you here with us!  Thanks for your kind words - post whenever you wish, would love it if you came more often.  You're a long time poster like I am.

Esteemed Contributor

Harlene,  now with re-runs we still can watch him!!  Wish they'd have re-runs of the Perry Como Show too. Loved him!

Esteemed Contributor

Bobbiesue - I still can watch him - thanks be to God!!  Yes, the Lennon Sisters perform at Branson, Mo. now.  People who go there get to see them live.  The youngest is Janet, not Cathy, Cathy was at the end of his show talking about their life while on the show years ago when they started etc. it was so interesting.  Anita Bryant was a guest there last night and she sang a few pieces, The show was aired in 1987.   So glad you are not on oxygen all the time anymore. What a blessing!!  Also what a blessing that God gave you to quit smoking!  Praise the Lord!  That's big, and so pleasing to God and your body!   Mother Angelica is still among the living. She had a stroke, not in the public anymore, but I believe she is or is near 90 years old. Her birthday is the day before mine - April 20th.  I loved watching her on EWTN!  

Contributor

Hello!,

Thank you for the positive thread today. One never gets tired of reading about acts of kindness toward one another. Mr. Sunshine has visited us this weekend! A chill is still evident in the air. We are expecting snow the next couple of days. May you all have a blessed week...ABC123