Esteemed Contributor

Re: DO YOU OPENLY ACKNOWLEDGE YOUR ANCESTRY???

Yes, I am part Italian, part Jewish, part Asian, and part British. Like most Americans, I am a mixture of many origins.

Honored Contributor

@Stormygirl

Not trying to be creepy, if that's you in your avatar, you are beautiful.  We're all mixed up with something.  That's what makes us all cool people.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Imadickens

Girl, I read the post about your DNA.  Don't get started on that again, rofl.

My Pa's family was from a little place called McRoberts KY.  Seriously, I think it burned down it was that small.  I remember when Pa had to get a copy of his birth certificate, it was an ordeal.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama awww now ya know ya made me blush LOL. Thank you humbly from my heart. Well I am a 50-50 and is a really odd pair..LOL Im 50% Native American (Lenee-Lenape/Nanticoke) and 50% Middle Eastern (Mom was from Algeria North Africa). I grew up being called half breed, camel and feather LOL so now ya know my deep dirty secret! Grew up wearing a hijab at times and a jingle dancing dress at others.....hey talk about mixed up LOL! Thanks yup that pic is Stormy Me

Honored Contributor

@Imadickens

It's pretty common around here that I was and remain devoted to the musician Prince.  Over 20 years ago, he released a record about race and the lyrics said, Race, in the space I mark Human.

Well, I've been ticking off doctors and anyone else who asks for over 20 years by writing in Human.

Respected Contributor

I am mostly English and Irish, but i am part Commanche.  I do not know if this is a family tale or truth, but I have always been proud to say I am part Commanche.  I attribute it to giving me my feisty attitudes. 

Trusted Contributor

@Bird mama Good IDEA! I think next time I am just going to write "Earth Creature" LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@Imadickens

Girl, I read the post about your DNA.  Don't get started on that again, rofl.

My Pa's family was from a little place called McRoberts KY.  Seriously, I think it burned down it was that small.  I remember when Pa had to get a copy of his birth certificate, it was an ordeal.

I know of some of those places in KY! I've been trying to find my gr grandmother's death cert or grave! It was 1897 in either Versailles or a place that also no longer exists, near Corbin. I visited an older great aunt as a child, don't think they had plumbing or electricity! Records were destroyed for a period so can't get any info. Just looking for relatives or friends of rel. who might know something!

I just remembered the name of town...Joefields. Near Rockholds, I think!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Honored Contributor

I think some posters who have exclaimed "Of course not! Whyever would I hide it?!" (not acknowledge ancestry) and "I'm this and this and this (Western European)" are not understanding where the OP and a few other posters are coming from. And of course, not reading even the original post before commenting, which flabbergasts me.

Yes, absolutely, in my lifetime, before Equal Rights laws, people were openly discriminated against right, left and center, in every way you can imagine and probably some you can't, for being their ethnicity, culture or religion, or even if they were only *perceived* to be of a "lesser" ethnicity or culture.

And yes, discrimination is still there, just not so open - or JUST as open, depending upon where you live. So, yes, it was wise not to broadcast ones ethnicity sometimes, if one wasn't in the mood for the heartache and rejection. No, this wasn't 100 years ago, try 30-35.  Try today. 

My ancestry is irrelevant to the thread as to the reason the OP spoke out. I have never had a prejudicial encounter and most likely never will, so I can't really relate, only sympathize and wish it were not so, for the OP and others.

I feel good for the OP that she's now able to come forward so proudly. It's never too late.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

My ancestors came from Scotland.