Valued Contributor

Re: Charge for Cancellation of Hair Appointment

I can't figure out why your husband had to stay home and miss his appt when you were sick and you had to cancel unless you were so sick he had to stay home and take care of you? How many times during the year have you canceled your appt? That may have something to do with their sign so you know ahead of time what their policy is. If your health is such that you never know how you'll feel on appt day, as others suggested, maybe you can not schedule an appt and just call and see if the stylist has an opening.

Of course if you have gone to these people for so many years, you should discuss this issue with them. I would think they would know about your health problems but you can't expect them to make exceptions for you due to your health issues.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I once left a hairdresser I loved because her salon had this policy.

The one time I missed an appointment, I had honestly forgotten and had never received a reminder call confirming the appointment, which was the practice at this particular salon.  In my defense, I was distracted because I had sprained my ankle rather badly and wouldn't have been able to drive, anyway. 

When I realized I'd missed the appointment, I called the answering machine and apologized and explained that I'd been injured, and when the snooty receptionist returned my call, she informed me that "in the future, you will be charged, blah blah blah." I wasn't angry about being charged, because I understood the policy and it was technically my fault I hadn't canceled, however, I had legimately been injured and there was absolutely no acknowledgement or concern expressed by this woman, and certainly no attempt at empathy.  That's the reason I decided to leave, but not before I called them and blasted them for being so rude and insensitive.  If she had at least said, "I'm sorry you were injured, I hope you recover quickly," it would have gone a long way. 

All of this is to say that the salon needs to make exceptions when someone is ill or injured, otherwise, such a policy is completely unreasonable. I have to say, having recently been placed in a position where I've had to manage some of my fellow human beings toward a certain deadline, I can now understand, based on the shocking irresponsibility and thoughtlessness I experienced, why a salon would need to make such a policy.  If people are really that flaky, they need to be reigned in, somehow. It's unfortunate that such people really ruin it for the rest of us who try to be responsible and keep our scheduled appointments. 

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter has Crohn's disease and My Stylst knows because she cuts and perms her hair too. She has made an exception the 2 times it happened over 10 years that I have been going when she was rushed to emergency.

I always tip her well

Honored Contributor

The beauty shop in our town of 2500 people has started doing this.  I guess if it happened to me, I'd pay and never come back.   I'd send a check with a note voicing my displeasure and go to one of the other salons in town.

Esteemed Contributor

Totally understand the policy.  They have reserved a time slot for you and you made the commitment to be there.  How would you feel if you showed up for your appointment and someone else was there and they would "fit you in".  It is a business and they need to fill those chairs to survive.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

I realize things can happen and in most cases, I would say you shouldn't be charged and that it's part of doing business.  In the case of a stylist, though, I think you're on the hook.  She/he held this time open for you.  She/he doesn't get paid.  

Think of it as reserving a photographer or caterer.  If you cancelled last minute, they'd have time unpaid, food expenses, staff expenses, and more.  They wouldn't give you back the deposit ... and might want you to cover the expenses they already put out for you.

Honored Contributor

My salon has those notices at all the stylists chairs and at the front desk.  I think this only comes into play if you are a chronic abuser of cancelling at the last minute.

In order for them to actually charge you, wouldn't they have to have your CC on file to charge?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

As one who also has unexpected 'bad days' I can understand that.  But, unfortunately, life isn't fair and I also understand that they need to be paid for their time if somebody cancels inside the 24 hour window.   

It's just one of those 'that's life' things.   

I hate making appointments and only do the few I have to, because there's little worse than getting up that morning (or being awake all night!) and knowing I have a commitment to make.

The only thing I can do is try and set myself up to hope that that day isn't any more bad than it has to be.     I've had to do things when I felt so bad I wished for a rapid death and it's truly brutal.  But if I cancelled last minute I would fully expect to be charged and I would feel responsible to pay.

Honored Contributor

@Pasta Lover wrote:

Hi,

Do you think that a hair stylist should charge a cancellation fee if you do  not call within 24 hours?  Well, my husband and I been going to a husband and wife team for almost 13 years.  I noticed 6 weeks ago that there was a sign saying such.  It is really hard for me to give them a 24 hour cancellation notice with my health.  Suppose I woke up feeling sick that same morning of the appointment?  My husband saw the same sign when he was getting his hair cut from the husband last Friday.  I did have to cancell on Jan 20 beause I was sick the night before.  They were informed about 8:30 that morning and our appointments were at 3:30.  I just don't know how I can continue being always afaid of cancelling and then charged  a fee of $15 for me and my husband.  She knows my hair and I trust her.  I go to the wife and my husband goes to her husband.  We book the same day because we live a bit far away from their place.  Any thoughts on this and do some places have such a policy? 

Thanks,

Linda S.

@Pasta Lover

Since this is a new policy, you need to stop wondering and discuss this directly with your stylist.   

I would ask for them to exempt me from this policy ...  for being a long time customer, AND my chronic health issues.    If the answer is no, then you have a decision to make.

About 5 years ago, I stopped going to a NAIL SALON (!!!)  that started charging for no shows and skipped appointments.   I had a standing appointment every other Saturday morning, and had been going to them for almost 20 years.   I had a long vacation that overlapped two Saturdays, and when I got back, she said I had to pay for those appointments, and I declined.  (I did leave her a message 9 days before the first appointment, and always saw Saturday morning walk-ins all the time, so didn't give it a lot of thought, frankly)

Thinking back, I paid almost $1,000 a year for her services  .... and she didn't allow for a customer's vacation ....  Clearly, it was time to move on.

Honored Contributor

@KathyPet wrote:

NO way would I pay a cancellation fee.  I would be fthe nding myself a new stylist pronto and I would make sure the salon knew I would,not be coming back and why

The stylist might be happy if you went somewhere else.  Perhaps your spot could be filled by a patron who shows up at the assigned time.

Sometimes it is better for someone to just move on if they are an inconvenience and cost someone a loss of income on a regular basis.  No one can afford to work for a loss anymore.  It's not personal, it's business.