Esteemed Contributor

Re: Charge for Cancellation of Hair Appointment

I would have to believe that if you were a regular, and reliable, those fees would not apply in the event of sudden cancellation.

I screwed up and missed a crown appointment with my dentist.  I felt LOUSY about it but they did not charge me.  I asked up front if I would owe.

Tip generously and send a thank you note after each appointment! That's my go-to philosophy.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I totally understand the hairdressers charging for cancellations. And they have posted the new policy in plain sight; no surprises.

I would bring it up with your hairdresser, i.e. the issue of your health and that you won't always know the day before. If she wants to keep you as a customer she will probably cut you occasional slack, the key word being occasional.

She may, honestly, not care about keeping you as a customer if you or others have canceled multiple times over the months or years. She may just be tired of it and not be interested in excuses or exceptions. You should be prepared that may be the case. You don't know how it affects her home life, when the shop opens, if she could leave early if she knew, etc.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

My hairdresser doesn't do this. My husband and I both use the same lady.

If that is their policy, I don't know that there is going to be much you can do, except pay it. If she starts making exceptions ,everyone will expect one

If you like the way she dos your hair, I don't think there is much you can do but pay up.

Honored Contributor

Ohmygosh, who do they think they are??  My DOCTOR doesn't charge me if for some reason I have to cancel an appointment....  and none of the doctors I've ever had would have charged me for a cancelled appt. 

I've never had a hairdresser or salon post such a policy.... Woman Surprised

Although I had one hairdresser at a very posh salon back in So. Ca tell me "I don't cut bangs".... huh???  that's right, she refused to cut bangs for nearly a C-note!  My first and last trip there....  I hate getting my hair cut and I have to go soon....  Woman Tongue

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I've had the same hairdresser for 28 years.I've followed him to various salons until he finally opened his own.I rarely have to cancel an appointment.When I do I usually give him a couple hours notice.It's either because I wake up sick,the weather is bad or a family emergency happens.He has never charged me for cancelling an appointment!! He never would. I would look for a new hairdresser if did.He even told me that clients cancelling appointments are the cost of doing business!! If you charge them you will lose their business.

However,he has terminated his relationship with a few clients over the years for being habitual cancellers!! Those people who cancelled last minute or don't show up 2 out of 3 times!!

Super Contributor

I have never had any salon I went to charge for a cancellation. I think a better practice would be, as someone said, to cancel people as customers who are habitual cancelers.

Honored Contributor

I found the Red Door cancellation policy:

CANCELLATIONS

To ensure all guests of The Red Door begin their treatment on time and receive the full spa experience we request that you notify us if you will be unable to make your appointment. To cancel or rebook your appointment we require 24 hours notice for any single service and 48 hours before any multiple or package services. Any online cancellations must be made 48 hours prior to your scheduled appointment. Full service charges will be applied if you fail to contact us or do not show up for your appointment.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Esteemed Contributor

I've been to my current salon 3 times.  On my first visit, I was asked to fill out paperwork with my address, phone number, email, etc.  At the bottom of the form, I was expected to sign an agreement that stated I would pay $50 for being a no show and that I would be penalized that amount for cancelling without giving 24 hours notice.  They have a credit card number on file to charge me if/when that happens.

They call two days in advance as a reminder and give me a chance to reschedule at that time if needed.  So far I haven't had to reschedule.  I've been careful to schedule the appointments at times that I know will have no other conflicts, but sometimes a cancellation is unavoidable.  I've tried more than 25 different stylists since I've moved to this area.  So far the results have been good, so I think it's worth taking a chance.

Honored Contributor

I have never heard of a hair salon doing that but I can certainly see why they would if last minute cancellations are serious problem.  When they happens they suffer a double loss.  They lose the money you would have paid and if it's last minute, they can't fill someone in the open slot.  It's very unfair and honestly, your health issues are not an excuse.  Since you are a long time customer, have conversation with the owners.  What's the big secret.  Don't they know you have health issues?  Explain to them that from minute to minute, you never know if you can keep an appointment or not and you'd like to work something out so you inconvenience them.  Perphaps they'll be understanding in your case or perhaps it might work out better if you didn't make appointments.  When you want your hair done, call the shop and ask if they can fill you in to any open slots they might have for that day.  After 13 years, you should be able to talk to them and work something out.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u wrote:

Ohmygosh, who do they think they are??  My DOCTOR doesn't charge me if for some reason I have to cancel an appointment....  and none of the doctors I've ever had would have charged me for a cancelled appt. 

I've never had a hairdresser or salon post such a policy.... Woman Surprised

Although I had one hairdresser at a very posh salon back in So. Ca tell me "I don't cut bangs".... huh???  that's right, she refused to cut bangs for nearly a C-note!  My first and last trip there....  I hate getting my hair cut and I have to go soon....  Woman Tongue

Obviously, they think they are professionals who have bills to pay and they think they have a right to a dependable income.  If they have a lot of customers who constantly break apppoints at the very last minute, those customers are taking money right out of their pockets.   That's what they think.  It must be a significant problem for them to take such drastic action.