Honored Contributor

Re: Back to School at the Back Fence - September 2016

@Winifred

When I was a kid I like Coca Cola.  When Vernors gingerale was made in Detroit it was really good.  I think Vernors got bought out by one of the major soda pop companies and they moved operations and there went the taste of Vernors gingerale.  So, I drink Canada Dry gingerale.

Besides what Coca Cola does to grout and piece of baloney, years ago when my Ma was in the hospital with a respiratory issue, I was talking to a nurse and somehow we got on the subject of vitamin D deficiency.  I had probably seen something on the news beforehand and took the opportunity to pick a nurse's brain on the subject.

She said that caramel colored soda pop - Pepsi, Coke, Dr. Pepper etc was bad for bone density.  By then I was a Canada Dry girl anyways.  

I am post menopausal since the age 45 and never took hormone replacement.  I have to watch my bone density and am managing to avoid bone density medication.  You couldn't pay me to drink a caramel colored soda pop.

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Okay my back fence friends, I have a serious question.  This question goes out to all of you.  Freddie, you've raised enough generations in your family, so I know you can help me.

I have a great niece that is turning 5 on Tuesday.  I learned a few days ago that she's lost a baby tooth already.  When my sister (child's grandmother) said she lost a tooth, instead of me saying aww, how cute, I said, she did what?  

This child's pediatrician restricted her whole milk when she was little.  This kid was not overweight ever so I never really jumped on the no milk for you bandwagon.  Add to that she had an egg allergy she's since outgrown.

I asked my sister, is this because of No Milk for You?  I didn't mean to be a party poop, but we didn't start losing teeth until 2nd grade.  As a matter of fact I have a great niece that is 6 months older than the one turning 5 and nothing on the loose tooth front over there.

Is this normal, to lose a baby tooth so young?  From what I understand that child has been allowed milk (2%) for some time now.  

Respected Contributor

Loosing teeth at 5 can be quite common - you see kindergarten kids with the missing teeth. Would not worry about it. By the way, today the MD trend for young ones is very little milk - it just blows my mind. Ricky's MD really chewed me out - said he was to have NO MORE than 16 ounces a day, preferably 8 ounces. That basically is ONE GLASS or sippy cup or whatever. When Leah turned one, couple weeks back, I got orders no more formula and ONLY 16 ounces of milk - he did not care whether the milk was no fat or what, but no more milk. Speaking of teeth she continues to have rabbit teeth but I went into hysterics. She has a tooth popping thru in back where the molars are. HUH!!!!!???? Weird kid, she is in the right family. Tessa lost her first teeth at 5 - nearing 6 as I recall but she was in kindergarten.

Another week beginning - time is so interesting - will be interesting to see what this week brings.

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

Hmm maybe it's part of the normal evolution then?  Kids do seem to grow teeth earlier than I recall seeing so I guess they lose them earlier now.  I don't know the obsession with milk and these doctors.  I understand child obesity is a problem in our country.  I feel that the parents should consider what the doctor says and then look at their kid.  If you have an active child, they will burn off any dairy fat, so give them more milk.

By the way, when I went to Bella's 5th birthday party yesterday (it was low key at home), she showed me she lost her tooth.  I said, smile for me and even though I didn't stick my hands in her mouth, since it was a front tooth on the bottom I was really looking hard at the gumline, rofl.

Just a socket - no tooth looks to be right behind it.  If this kid starts spitting out teeth left and right, I am surely going to have a fit.

Her secondary teeth are going to have to last her a long time.

Another thing that drives me nuts is all this bottled water.  When I was little, our water was not fluoridated (not sure if that's the word) so we had to get fluoride treatments.  I remember it vividly.  Then they started adding fluoride in the water.  Detroit may have it's problems, but I love the water out of the City.

My nieces do the bottled water thing.  There is no fluoride in it.  Yesterday at the party I asked Bella, you thirsty?  She said yea.  I gave her cold water out of the tap.  My niece said, we have bottled water in the fridge.  I said, I've been drinking tap water for over 50 years - the kid needs her fluoride and so do I.

My niece said, I didn't think about that.  In my head I said, Oh Lord.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bird mama wrote:

@Winifred

Hmm maybe it's part of the normal evolution then?  Kids do seem to grow teeth earlier than I recall seeing so I guess they lose them earlier now.  I don't know the obsession with milk and these doctors.  I understand child obesity is a problem in our country.  I feel that the parents should consider what the doctor says and then look at their kid.  If you have an active child, they will burn off any dairy fat, so give them more milk.

By the way, when I went to Bella's 5th birthday party yesterday (it was low key at home), she showed me she lost her tooth.  I said, smile for me and even though I didn't stick my hands in her mouth, since it was a front tooth on the bottom I was really looking hard at the gumline, rofl.

Just a socket - no tooth looks to be right behind it.  If this kid starts spitting out teeth left and right, I am surely going to have a fit.

Her secondary teeth are going to have to last her a long time.

Another thing that drives me nuts is all this bottled water.  When I was little, our water was not fluoridated (not sure if that's the word) so we had to get fluoride treatments.  I remember it vividly.  Then they started adding fluoride in the water.  Detroit may have it's problems, but I love the water out of the City.

My nieces do the bottled water thing.  There is no fluoride in it.  Yesterday at the party I asked Bella, you thirsty?  She said yea.  I gave her cold water out of the tap.  My niece said, we have bottled water in the fridge.  I said, I've been drinking tap water for over 50 years - the kid needs her fluoride and so do I.

My niece said, I didn't think about that.  In my head I said, Oh Lord.

@Bird mama  DD's doctor told me kids need the fat from milk for their brains when she discovered that I was then giving DD 2%, this was around the age of five or so, and eventually moved her to nonfat which she still drinks.  There is enough fat in food to give them what they need, I think.  Maybe doctors feel if kids drink too much milk, they won't eat enough other food.  In grammar school, one of the girls was very thin, and was prohibited from drinking milk during lunch in the cafeteria where everyone ate, because she wouldn't eat much.

Honored Contributor

Hidey ho Back Fencers, it's another busy day on the job.  Thought I would stop by and drop off some cookies if anyone feels like nibbling.

Image result for cookie tray

Respected Contributor

I think the milk thing is for two reasons as I have heard them both, over and over. One, if they drink a lot of milk they do not eat well - very true. As Ricky LOVES milk and has become a picky eater and I cannot get his Grandma to stop filling up sippy cups with milk. Grrr. Also it puts weight on them - and yes, Ricky is way overweight and I think his eating has impacted his weight as well as his behavior. We use the 2% here. It may work differently for different kids but I do believe too much milk this day and time ain't the best of things. Let us be hones, milk today is NOT the same as it was when some of us were kids - nothing use to be added or subtracted from it. You drank what came out of the cow.

Cookies were delicious Bernie - many thanks.

Hope all have a great day.

Trusted Contributor

Freddie, the twins drink milk, but are allowed a couple swallows only before they eat.   After they eat, they can finish the milk.  I notice that they seldom do.    Natalie, on the other hand, drinks apple juice.   I don't think that's a good thing either. She is a picky, non chalonte eAter and is seldom hungry.  

Im off to see the eye doctor.  Had a blood vessel break (I hope) and since its on the eye I had my retina surgery on I want the dr to see.  The eyeball is almost all red now, can barely see the iris.  Just want to make sure nothing else is going on.   Red is my favorite color but not in my eyes.   

Honored Contributor

@Winifred

Ya got me there on the quality of the milk these days, lol.  There is probably something to it.  I could drink milk as a kid - no problem.  Once I got into my 20's it made my stomach hurt.  Now I can eat cheese and ice cream - also dairy- with no problem.

When DH went through a cardiac thing - we switched to 2% milk and I continued to drink that even after he died.  I never cooked 2 different ways.  I am not great in the kitchen so if he ate cardiac, so did I. 

This year, in the last couple of months, I switched to vitamin D enriched soy milk.  Doesn't upset my tummy, won't negatively impact my cholesterol, should be doing something for my bone density and gets me the protein I miss otherwise.

I don't eat much but when I do I make sure I get lots out of it, he he he.

Honored Contributor

@yock

Ooh that's scary.  It happened to my DH after he started taking Plavix.  I hope everything turns out okay with your eye Betty.