Super Contributor

Re: Baby-sitting rates (3 y/o little boy)?

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I remember when the going rate was .50 an hour. Often I cleaned up the kitchen, did the dishes, folded laundry too. 😃

Me too, I was paid $2.00/hr to watch 2 boys, but that was back in the early 80's. I would do the dishes, too, clean the microwave, things like that, because usually I was so bored, lol. I am shocked that some get $15-20 an hour now. 

I am going to decline baby-sitting this child. We baby-sat him a few months ago (they really only need a sitter in a pinch, as the mom is a stay at home mom, but has been in the hospital a few times). The few times we watched the kid, he was not terrible, given the age, but he would not listen. The father left him with us for 10 hours (was supposed to only be 8.5 hours, and that last 1.5 hours, the kid had it by then, it was rough!!). We wanted to help him, because he was in a pinch and never 'needed' a sitter before, but by now, he has had time to find one. When he went to pay for the baby-sitting (for 3 days), we asked that he pay what he thought was a fair rate. It worked out to be not even $2.00 an hour. I personally think for the area should be a minimum of $5.00, more towards $8.00. I did look on care.com as someone suggested, and the rate in the area is about $11-$12 (for one kid).

Wow, I think he is going to be in for a shock when he goes to find a baby-sitter. But we just can't help him out any more. I have my own health issues that can be quite taxing, and I am a care giver to an elderly parent, which can be every bit as needy as a child (and then some). Not really a good environment for a small child (the elderly parent gets nervous with the small child around; the father dropped him off at our house). They need and deserve undivided attention, and taking care of a small child is a big, huge responsibility. So I can definitely see the going rates. 

I was just really curious, as I obviously have not baby-sat in years (decades, lol). As a few have said, times sure have changed. 

Respected Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

I remember when the going rate was .50 an hour. Often I cleaned up the kitchen, did the dishes, folded laundry too. 😃

@Azcowgirl...same here. We must be the same age. Smiley Surprised 

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Regular Contributor

I WAS ABOUT TO SAY SAME EXACT THING

Honored Contributor

When I was 15 I watched a neighbors autistic 2 year old after school til they got home from work. Because the child was difficult to deal with at times they paid me $2/hr. That was double my usual fee. Unfortunately, they took advantage of me and would sometimes not come home until midnight. Ultimitely my mom & the child's mom got into a arguement over this and my mom said I couldn't work for them anymore. I was glad to get out of that job - but I missed making that money.

Honored Contributor

@Azcowgirl wrote:

OMG you must have lived in my hometown back in the 70's.  I remember how rich I felt when I finally raised my rate to $1.00.  I was so busy every Friday and Sat. night then all school holidays I actually made quite a bit of money.  Like you I did light housework and I made sure and played with the children, they always wanted me back.  Cha Ching!! Stopped babysitting in high school when to hard to fit in the drill team/dating scedule ect..........

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Esteemed Contributor

WOW.  A lot of you must live in some pretty expensive areas.  OUt here in the Shenandoah Valley a teenage sitter working a Friday or Saturday night gets $7-8 a hour.