Honored Contributor

Hello and welcome to the Back Fence for August.  The new forum doesn't allow much room for a snappy title (lol).

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Re: August 2015 - Back Fence

Betty was our first poster for the month.  I've copied and combined her 8-1 posts from the July thread.

Bernie, they are doing an ultra sound on my carotid glands.  I was scheduled for an EKG next Friday and was able to get this test done at the same time if I was able to get there by 7:15 am. No problem.  That gives me the rest of the day to get stuff done.  Freddie. Both the Radio Shack and KMart are gone here.  Used to get some great electronics at both places.

I forgot to say, Bernie, that it seemed like a dark curtain came over my eye.  It probably lasted at the most two minutes.  It seemed longer. The first one was sitting in the lobby at church and I said to my granddaughter in law a curtain just came down and I can't see out of my right eye.  After a moment it lifted.  The second time was at a soccer practice. Both times were very brief.  Doc thinks I experienced TIAs.    I had surgery in that eye for a retina pucker a few years back. They couldn't repair it completely nut did improve it.  I already take a blood thinner so the ultrasound is to see if anything has changed.  

Honored Contributor

Hi, ladies!

I had no idea this back fence thread existed! What a great idea!

I'd love to participate.  I'm signing off now, but I'll be back, if that's okay.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Happy August 1st everyone - my oldest grand turns 46 today. Hard to believe and she is as beautiful as ever. She wears no makeup - does not need it, I know, pretty irritating isn't it? and takes great care of herself. Also wears the same size clothes she wore in high school - she was quite athletic and also a varsity cheerleader. She has done well with her life against so many obstacles. Ma youngest granddaughter turned 39 two days ago and the middle granddaughter is Tessa and Davey's Mom.

The weather experts "tell us" the humidity will start dropping - sure hope that is true. Heat will stay up there but if the air is dryer, it can be tolerated easily.

Have some blueberry bagels and cream cheese for everyone to munch on. Also coffee for we coffee addicts and some ice tea for those who prefer that.

Always delighted to see new posters and we hope you will return. A lady named MGH started this thread close to or perhaps 20 years ago - been a long time. Bless her soul, she and her daughter are now gone along with a good number of others who faithfully stopped by. MGH was as feisty as could be and we all loved her.

Stay cool everyone.

Honored Contributor

I sound like a broken record when I say I can't believe another month has passed.  It's a lovely day here, warm and breezy.  We're at that time of year where the grass is growing slowly so I can skip any lawn mowing this weekend.  I do need to clean up the backyard a little.  The squirrels have been knocking walnuts off the three and we had some wind that scattered pine cones around.  

HouseCat, come on over to the Back Fence and chat.  We're a small group, but were are determined to keep the Back Fence chatter going.

Betty - I'm glad you will be able to get the EKG and neck scan done and out of the way in the morning. 

Freddie - so all of your grands are girls?  It's something how some rise above adversity and others get trapped in it.  I hope the humidity moves outta there so you can breathe easier.

I never say no to a good cup of coffee :-)

Respected Contributor

Good Afternoon All, what a great thread, didn't know it existed but I'd like to join in. My first born is in town from Vegas, so we're doing a BBQ tonite, will cook outdoors but it's too hot/humid to eat out, so we'll be in the a/c. Got the house pretty much cleaned up & a little bit of the yard, but then I gave up , that's ok it's just family. My new pup, 3 year old black lab mix, (I only see lab) is settling in very nicely, got her from Animal Control & she's well behaved, can't believe how lucky I am. Hi to Winifred, nice to see you here
Trusted Contributor

So nice to see some new posters.  We love company at the Back Fence.   The locusts have begun their chirping and before long we will see their discarded shells.  We have to thank the new forums for allowing more posters to find us.  We love to chat and get to know each other better.  The gate is always open at the Back Fence. 

Respected Contributor

Good morning everyone. Still hot out here in my part of Sou Cal - doubt if it will be anything else for a good three more months. Sigh. Humidity still with us but not as bad as it was.

Those darn rabbits are still around - was hoping they would stay in their yard but got in mine again. I worry about them because from my yard they can get into the auto repair place as well as out on my street. Just do not understand those people. At least nothing has happened to those remaining but I still wish they would have nice cages for them and if they let them out, stay out there with them to insure their safety. Only see two - they originally had five although they say they only had three to start with. WRONG!!! People!

Nice to sit out and chat at this time of day but in a few hours the streets will be empty as will the yards - too hot. Headed to church and then afterwards meeting up with a friend of mine who use to go to church with me and has started attending another church. She has asked a retired pastor and his wife to have lunch with her as she does not drive and they take her to and from church - I called her to have lunch so she asked me to meet them. I will do it - will be nice to see them as I knew the pastor many years ago - not well but knew him.

Am leaving some  blueberry - love those blueberries - oatmeal and some cereal for those who prefer that. The milk is stashed in my trusty ice chest - those things work so well. And of course coffee.

Have a great day everyone.

Honored Contributor

Good morning Smiley Happy

Winifred, maybe you live near me, because it's been unusually humid here and very uncomfortable.  I left to walk the dog at 6 am, and it was lovely and cool, but soon it will be too hot to be outside.

Thankfully, we had our enitre a/c system redone last month, so I can be very comfortable inside - we'll see what happens when the electric bill arrives.

As Bird Mama knows, my little dog has been dealing with some intestinal illness.  I fixed her a breakfast of white rice, canned pumpkin and baby food chicken. She's looking better today.

Soon I'll be back in the kitchen to cook a meal to share with my oldsters.  (My mom and dad are 90 and 92 years old).  They like Sunday dinner in the afternoon, which means I spend the morning cooking.  Today I'm making a cashew chicken recipe, but I'm using pork tenderloin instead.  Dad says he's had too much chicken lately. They're tough customers.

My cat is being very vocal this morning and I'm hoping she doesn't wake DH. When he gets up he turns on the morning news and it's so depressing. Every weekend there's a gang shooting (often a child is the victim), a house fire, a hit and run driver/pedestrian incident, a convenience store robbery and a drunk driver drove right through a house or store. If you think I'm joking, then you don't live in the Los Angeles area. 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Betty, where are you at again?  The reason I ask is that you have locusts.  Here I see Cicadas and Crickets.  Here's a pic of a Cicada - we might be talking about the same bug.

Tibicen linnei.jpg

Freddie - I think the rabbits are coming into your yard because they know you are a good person.  Sometimes we just have to accept that we put out some animal radar.  I'd swear that there is a bird internet and my face and house are prominently featured on it.  Darn, I should have come here before breakfast.  I made some scrambled eggs and bacon - both items were near their expiration date and I wasn't wasting the money.  Now am I stuffed like a toady.  Remember, I have that small fridge at the fence.  The extension cord is remarkably long (wink), but it's up and operational.  I put some popsicles, fudgesicles, ice cream and sherbert in it.

House Cat - I didn't know you got new A/C.  I know I am looking at new furnace/AC replacement.  The furnace will probably peter out before the A/C.  It's nearly 25 years old and I'm getting every last dime out of it.  I have the money on the side to replace both furnace and heater when the time comes.  I think I will likely go with another Lennox. 

I'm in metro Detroit and most of the local news focuses on Detroit.  Okay, enough said.  I stopped watching late night news years ago as it was giving me insomnia.  Mostly I get my news from talk radio - at least I don't have to see the photos that way.