Super Contributor

Knowing myself, I likely would have said "gosh, I wish you had told me before I bought/prepared all this food" - wine, no problem, it keeps. In any event, this brings to mind a dinner I had many years ago (early 80's I think) for some old high school buddies. One gal was into "healthy" eating which was something relatively new at the time. She brought some sort of brown rice/yogurt casserole and told us all how she did not permit white sugar in her house. I had made a rather rich pie with a meringue/pecan crust filled with whipped cream and shaved chocolate. She singlehandedly ate nearly half the pie - exactly what kind of sugar did she think I put in it anyway?

Honored Contributor

It is irritating, and it isn't particularly nice of them, but is it really such a big deal?  They are friends, and friends can sometimes be worth cutting them some slack.  

If they are friends, it isn't worth trying to get even, teach them a lesson, or worry about.  It's better to let it go than not have friends.

Honored Contributor

I don't eat meat, haven't for years.  Think all of the folks with whom I eat regularly know this.  But on accepting any invitation, I always remind people and say, please don't worry, I'm good with veggies, bread.  Usually there is always something I can eat.  I also offer to bring my own main dish to share.

Wouldn't think of waiting 'till the day before to say it.  Rude.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Being friends doesn't give one liberty to bypass manners. If I have to be rude, better it be a stranger.

Calling attention to yourself by bringing your own food to a dinner party claiming special diet requirements, true or not, is impolite. A dinner party is about the dinner prepared for the invited guests. If you aren't going to eat it why attend. If you want to socialize choose another activity, a card part, a cocktail party, or game night.

Valued Contributor

When guests call the day before to announce they have dietary restrictions what this says to me is that they didn't actually decide to come to the dinner until the day before. They were waiting to see how their schedule shakes out or if they will get a better invitation before deciding whether or not they will come. Now THAT's rude.

I was in a bookclub in which the month's host always served dinner and this sort of nonsense went on all the time.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I too sensitive?

[ Edited ]

@dex wrote:

@catmamasince these women are your friends I wouldn't get too upset.They probably didn't realize you were prepping ahead.I would have just told them I had everything ready and if they wanted something different to just bring it along.The wine can always be returned.

Prepping ahead?  It's not as though they called weeks before and she had already started cooking.  I don't know anyone who does the planning, shoppping, preparing, and cooking all on the day of a dinner like this. They called the day before, and it's unreasonable to think that she wouldn't have already started to get things underway by then. One day notice is rude and inconsiderate even if she hadn't yet done very much.

I wouldnt't be concerned about the wine because as far as I'm concerned, people can drink or not drink. I provide all kinds of beverages, and guests can have what they want, no big announcements needed by those who choose to abstain.  Ending up with extra wine would never be a problem for me. :-)

I would be annoyed at the late notice because of the food, though.  They knew for awhile that they're on special diets, and chose not to say anything until the last minute. 

No, @catmama,you're not too sensitive.  

Regular Contributor

@peace6576 wrote:

Really? Criticizing another poster when your post is rife with grammatical errors? Unbelievable.

@ncascade wrote:

A little and your grammar is slightly off. Because I am a "fussy" eater I usually will bring my own food. No one seems to mind. If they do-too bad.

@peace6576My thoughts exactly...truly unbelievable!

Esteemed Contributor

@kittymomNC wrote:

I don't think you're too sensitive - it was rude and very lacking in consideration to you as the hostess. 

But I think it is even more discourteous for anyone to criticize our grammar here.  We are not here to be academics and adhere to strict grammatical rules... we're here to converse and exchange opinions, and I doubt that many of us are as careful with our grammar here as we would be under different circumstances.  JMO.

I have noticed, btw, that many people who criticize the grammar of others actually have a lot to learn about grammar themselves.

Respected Contributor

I hate cooking so I would not be happy either if I had to make different stuff for different people.  Maybe at this dinner a paper can circulate asking everyone what they cannot eat or drink so that the next person cooking won't have this problem.  If there is something they can all agree on then maybe have the same thing each month to eat and bring your own drink of choice. 

Respected Contributor

No you are not. Shame on them for not letting you know in advance. I would never even expect a host to cater to my dietairy restrictions. As for the wine, I could always come over and have a few glasses with you LOL