Valued Contributor

Last night I had several women friends over for dinner.  This is a monthly tradition and we each take turns.  I prepared what I thought was a healthy meal, but the day before 2 of them contacted me and  announced they were on special diets, and wouldn't be eating any of the food I would prepare. I had already done my shopping and had some of the dishes prepared.  I thought that since they knew we were getting together, the date had been picked in December, that they could have given me more than 1 days notice of their intentions.  Not only that, we have wine with our meal and 2 others besides the originals indicated they had given up wine for the month of January.  So here I have food that isn't going to be eaten by 2 of them and wine that won't be drank by 4 of them.  Food and wine isn't cheap and I was a little put out by their lack of courtesy.  Am I overreacting?

Honored Contributor

A little and your grammar is slightly off. Because I am a "fussy" eater I usually will bring my own food. No one seems to mind. If they do-too bad.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I think a day in advance was rude. I have dietary restrictions and I would have told you when you invited me

The wine not so much, some people don't drink. I have never heard of giving up wine for the month of Jan, that sounds strange.  If you drink, you usually drink

Respected Contributor

A bit.  Yes, it would have been thoughtful had they let you know ahead of time.  That being said, don't open the wine and save it for another dinner or take it as a hotess gift.  Can any of the food or ingredients be frozen?  Sometimes people don't look ahead at their calendars until the day before.  It's frustrating when you are the host, but not that big a deal.

Esteemed Contributor

In my opinion you are not at fault. There are just so many accommodations hosts should be expected to make. Beyond that, it becomes absurd. You are not running a health food restaurant. You do the best you can. I am a lifetime Weight Watchers member. When I've been invited to dinner and I'm watching my diet, I make the best of it. My dietary needs are not the problem of my host. Any accommodation is a favor. 

Super Contributor

Really? Criticizing another poster when your post is rife with grammatical errors? Unbelievable.

@ncascade wrote:

A little and your grammar is slightly off. Because I am a "fussy" eater I usually will bring my own food. No one seems to mind. If they do-too bad.

Honored Contributor

I think that they certainly didn't give you much warning. To contact you the day before the meal. Especiialy since the date was picked in December. I would have not appreciated the short notice.

But just think - now you have more for you to enjoy.

Honored Contributor

I do think they should have told you earlier. Waiting until the day before isn't very thoughtful. The food might be a problem, especially if you'd already prepared some, but unopened wine won't go bad. Keep it for the next time you host, drink it yourself, or take it to someone else's party.

Honored Contributor

I don't see it as an over-reaction.  They WERE rude and inconsiderate.  I'd be put out, too. 

I'm pretty big on manners and common courtesy, though.   I will feel disrespected if somebody does something that shows they have no sense of decorum and just selfishly don't consider the feelings of the other person.

Esteemed Contributor

No you're not to sensitive!! This dinner was arranged way ahead of time.These friends should have given you a few weeks notice with regard to their dietary needs!! It's just plain rude not to!!

I entertain too.It takes alot of time, effort, & money!! Guests have informed me of foods they couldn't eat.As a result I've altered my menu.But I was given enough notice!! I also appreciate knowing what my guests like to drink so I can have everyone's beverage of choice on hand.