New Contributor

Feedback on Bamboo Green Tea scent

I have been usingn fig for 6 years and 613 for about 2. I just bought the tsv Mandarin Fig and it is way, way, way to heavy of a scent for me. I also bought the sprays for honey lilac and love the scent, but still, am getting headaches from it. I'm thinking of exchanging the Mandarin Fig for the Bamboo Green Tea, but want to make sure it's a MUCH lighter scented version, or else I'll be in the same boat and unable to use the product. Is there anyone who also feels like the new Wen's are overpowering with their scent who can give me feedback on how strong the scent of Bamboo Green Tea is? FYI, I also find the 613 spray to be too heavy, but suffer through it because I love what it does to my hair.

Thanks!

Super Contributor

Re: Feedback on Bamboo Green Tea scent

I am not minding the MIF scent, to me it is not as strong a scent as the Bamboo, but it is still stronger than my originals or seasonals. I find the bamboo to perfume scented to me and very strong. And yes the scents have amped up since the originals. If your looking for a not so over whelming scent, I found the Spring Gardenia Green Tea to be the lightest scent, I really do not like florals that much but really like this scent.
Super Contributor

I returned the BGT, I could not stand the scent, it was not pleasant and was overpowering, very artificial smelling to me. It did not dissipate over time, either. At first, I was going to finish the bottle, the last time I used it I was in the shower thinking, no, no more. So I returned it. It is the only WEN product that I was really disappointed with.

The Mandarin Fig is also strong, a bit artificial (to me) but it does not linger like the BGT did. Personally I think that if you do not like the MIF you will not like the BGT. I am hoping that if Chaz continues with the rice based line that he returns to the real scents of his original series.

By the way, I have mixed MIF with original Fig and my hair really likes that combo.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not crazy about BGT either. I tried the MIF and found it strong on the first use very earthy, with cedar notes. It seemed less so on the second wash but I'm not crazy about it. The SOB is really nice and light
New Contributor

Thanks all! This is just the feedback I was looking for. I'll try mixing the Mandarin Fig with my regular fig and see if that doesn't help. No way am I going to try the Bamboo if it's stronger than the Mandarin Fig. Here's to crossing my fingers that Wen will come out with an unscented version in the future, especially for the spray, which I love, but would love more without the scent!

Respected Contributor

I LOVE the MIF...scent, performace, I am so thankful it will be here to stay...I have only used the BGT once, but it does not contain the honey that the MIF does...BGT is just a bit lighter I think...I love most of the scents of WEN, also the 613...The new SHL is good, but if you don't like florals, you won't care for it I think...

Maybe you will like the new Summer Seasonals, they sound very nice...Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I find the BGT a little strong, but I like the scent so it doesn't bother me. However, to me the MIF was even stronger smelling and very perfumey (not in a good way). I found that mixing the MIF with 613 (or BGT) cuts the scent and makes it much more tolerable. I am not good at identifying or describing scents, but I love the 613 and BGT scents, even though they are strong. I also love WWC. The SOB is pleasant but has a floral hint to it that I don't like as well. I have pretty much decided that I like the citrus and tea scents, but do not care for the florals. Scent is such a personal thing and it seems like we all react to them differently, so it's hard to advise someone else. But maybe if you find that another person likes many of the same scents that you like, then their advice may work for you.

Honored Contributor

I like the Bamboo Green Tea scent, but I'm also one of the few (it seems) that finds it much too strong. I used it once on my hair and loved the outcome, but couldn't use it again because of the smell. But I'm chemically sensitive and find a lot of the WEN scents too strong. I also tolerate the 613 smell because I like the outcome on my hair, and over time I've gotten used to it. I really love the body crème, but the smell is so strong by putting it all over it really does make me ill. (I'd love to have an unscented version of that!)

I find that the scents that have no added fragrance are the easiest for me to tolerate, i.e. Cucumber Aloe, Tea Tree. But even with those, when getting an ancillary product, like Replenishing Mist or Styling Crème, some have added fragrance.

I tried the new Honey Lilac because there were so many people that said it was such a light fragrance, but I found that that also was really strong for me. On 'first sniff' I think so many of the scents are lovely, but they quickly become overpowering and cloying to me. I actually find this odd because Chaz is always talking about getting migraines from fragrances and I wonder how in the world he can tolerate those strong smells he invents himself.

ETA: One trick I've found though--if you really love a cleansing conditioner or crème product and the fragrance is too strong, keep the container open (or loosened) for several weeks and the smell does dissipate to a great degree the longer it's exposed to air. Whether it degrades the product itself, I can't say. That's how I was able to learn to tolerate the 613 cleansing conditioner.

Respected Contributor

I love BGT and it is one of my favorite core formulas. Although, I use most of the core formulas in addition to most of the seasonals. I still haven't tried the new Fig formula but may decide to order it. The only other formula that I have never tried is Wen kids that many really like. I also never used Wen Men and don't intend to order it. My friend that I bought it for as a gift used it but really didn't seem to like it that much so I won't reorder it again. The only Wen formula that I really couldn't use was FAS since I found the scent gave me a headache. I only used it once and gave it to a friend that really liked it.

Super Contributor

It's nice---it is the only CORE product I can stand. I love the way fig works, but the smell...ugh. Same with the fig styling cream. I only like SOME of the seasonals and the Bamboo Green Tea. My fave CC is the Winter Vanilla Mint.