Super Contributor

Newbie needing help with Wen

I have long, fine hair that is mid back length. It has been thinning lately but is starting to come back in. I ordered the TSV in BGT and have cleansed with it about 5 times so far. The first time I cleansed my hair looked so shiny and felt so soft. Today my hair still feels soft but lacks the beautiful shine I had before. It looks pretty dry actually. I have been doing 2 cleanses and putting back about a half a pump as a leave-in and about 1/2 pump of the styling cream. I felt like my hair was weighed down when I used more as a leave-in/styling cream. I am rinsing really well. My hair felt squeaky clean. Maybe I should use less leave-in and more styling cream or vice versa??? Also I ordered the 4 piece kit of POM, TT, SAM, and LAV so I could try additional scents on my hair and changed my TSV to MIF so I could try that one too. So far I feel like 613 weighs my hair down a lot but maybe I am using it wrong.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks so much!

PS - I have tried just using BGT, just 613, and mixing the two.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Newbie needing help with Wen

I'm thinking you need more moisture and for many people BGT and 613 are more on the "drying" side due to the extra amino acids.

I found that the MIF is more moisturizing than BGT, for my hair. Also, POM and especially SAM & TT should be more moisturizing as well. FIG is the most moisturizing for most people. I found LAV to be sort of drying too.

As soon as you get the other formulas try SAM and TT first. After you use the more moisturizing formulas for a while you may find you can use the Rice and Soy formulas (BGT, MIF, and Seasonals) more often. I've heard a lot of Wenners say that's how they do it and some that could use only FIG at first now say they just mix it in or sometimes can use other formulas alone and still get great results. Their hair just had to get enough moisture and get into better shape first.

Some say they always use something like TT, FIG or SAM first and then use the others for the second cleanse.

Have fun mixing it up and finding what works best for you and your hair!!

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

ETA - POM is also soy-based but it's in the regular line that is always available and I don't think it has the extra amino acids like the Seasonals (also soy-based) so it doesn't have that "drying" effect. I've heard that if your hair feels dry/strawlike you need to use moisturizing formulas such as FIG, TT, SAM. If it feels too limp and too "stretchy" you need to use more protein (amino acid) formulas such as 613, BGT, MIF and seasonals.

KJPA
Respected Contributor

It might just be the BGT formula...a few of us (and I'm one) find it a little drying. My hair type is nothing like yours, but I can't use the cleanser as leave-in on a regular basis, it's just too much.

Are you putting your leave-ins (cleanser, styling creme) on soaking wet hair? That can really make a difference! All that stuff just absorbs better on dripping hair. Twist and rake it in really well, then comb through. If you haven't been doing the soaking wet hair thing, try that and use a full pump of cleanser as leave-in and AT LEAST a full pump of styling creme.

When you get your other formulas, you can mix them according to what each one does and what you want for your hair.

Trusted Contributor

I second what Vermint said!! Absolutely do all that on soaking wet hair. Don't towel dry first Smiley Wink I've even heard Chaz recommend keeping the styling cream in the shower so you put it in soaking wet hair!

KJPA
Trusted Contributor

I agree with the advice that's already been given. And, as much as BGT is presented as being "universal", I just don't believe that's the case. There are too many instances of people who can't use it exclusively (or at all). But, don't let your current results discourage you. The great thing about the Wen product line is that there are lots of options, if you're interested in the concept of a top-notch cleansing conditioner, I'm sure you'll find something that works well for your hair!

My hair is fine-textured, but thick, single process color, below my bra strap length. My favorite formulas are all wheat-based, Sweet Almond Mint, Tea Tree, Cucumber Aloe and Lavender (from most moisturizing to least). I can use any of these and have great results. About once or twice a week, I'll use either Bamboo Green Tea or a seasonal formula. I very rarely use 613. If I use the formulas that contain the extra amino acids (protein), my hair will become dry, brittle and the ends start to feel like straw.

Hope you start to see better results when you try the other formulas, let us know how it goes.

Respected Contributor

I agree with the others and am another person who cannot use BGT with any regularity. It is very drying for me. Funny thing though -- my hair loves 613.

It is great that you will soon be able to try other options. I definitely recommend Sweet Almond Mint as a highly moisturizing formula. You should try it on its own to see how it works for you but then mix it in with your BGT and see if it provides the boost you need to finish up that bottle.

Trusted Contributor

I have longish, fine, oily hair and I haven't had a problem with any of the CCs being overly drying. However, I have noticed that BGT does not give me as much moisture as MIF, SHL or maybe even WWC. The biggest thing that made a difference for me is doing a second cleanse every time I wash. I have been able to go a good three days between cleanses, which is amazing for me.

I do use one to two pumps of CC as leave-in (1-32oz, 2-16oz) and one pump of styling cream. Some days I also add mousse. I use all of these on soaking wet hair. My hair tends to wring out as I am twisting the product into the ends of my hair, then I wrap it up in a microfiber towel to soak up any excess water. Most of the time I blow-dry my hair.

Contrary to what I thought would happen, the leave-ins actually seem to give my hair great volume and bounce. But I definitely believe that adding them to soaking wet hair (in the shower) makes a big difference.

Today I used SOB for my first cleanse and a combination of BGT and MIF for my second cleanse. I used BGT & MIF styling creme and 613 mousse. That seemed to work well for me. My hair is soft and fluffy. But if I needed more moisture, I would probably go to SAM.

Esteemed Contributor

OP! If you just starting using Wen, you hair may do lots of different "tricks" initially. It did happen to me in the beginning. My hair looked like "straw" sometimes, it did show up as unwashed "greasy" next day hair, even my color turned this and that, depending on the day....

But, somehow I knew - Wen was good for my hair. I think, it simply started stripping away whatever there was in my hair from before, and hair "acted" up.

Now my hair has changed, it calmed down a lot, and in better condition by far, color improved. Generally it is much better behaved hair. The best part - it looks great!

Yes, it is very important to find best performing CC formula for your hair, but so far I did find for myself - I can basically work with any Wen formula now!

For example new Lilac I got, just does not work for my hair. On first try using it alone, did not like it at all - it's too drying.

Because, I still want to continue to "test drive" this formula, yesterday I cleansed first with Lilac, second cleanse with Lilac combined with Six Thirteen. Leave in Six Thirteen. Put styling cream, mousse, and left for a long day with a small bottle of Replenishing Mist.

I sprayed mist on hair and face couple of times yesterday, and today I waked up to a beautiful second day head of hair! No need to wash it or do anything with it. I sprayed it with mist today, just because I wanted, because I like it, and because mist is good for my hair and face!

Using Wen product correctly for your hair, definitely has a learning curve, but it's a lot of fun along the way!

Trusted Contributor

Sonechko, great review! It is fun isn't it? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

KJPA
Esteemed Contributor

On 3/23/2015 KJPA said:

Sonechko, great review! It is fun isn't it? {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} EVERY DAY, KJPA!!! I cleanse almost everyday just for the fun of it! Even, though I do not need it that often, but I justifying it - I am doing cleansing for the sake of EXPERIMENT! Still need test a lot of CCs and their combinations. Yeah, alright it a bull, I just like it!