Frequent Contributor

WEN HELP... WILL IT MAKE MY HAIR OILY? I have lupus and thinning hair

I am almost 63 and my hair is thinning. I was taking Biotin, my doctor recommended it as my hair is thinning due to lupus. I found it to make my hair greasy. As it is I need to wash my hair every other day. I was washing it every day up until a year ago. I have oily skin as well? I do use a shampoo without sulfates etc, but have always wanted to try Wen.

I have never used "Wen" and my question is, will it make my hair oily?

Thanks.. I have tried Joan Rivers' hair product to color in the 'thinning spots' to no avail.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WEN HELP... WILL IT MAKE MY HAIR OILY? I have lupus and thinning hair

I also suffer from an autoimmune disease . I started using Wen over eight years ago, atthe time I was losing hair not only from the illness but from the various meds they were giving me. Don't know where I would be without Chaz and his wonderful products. I started with sweet almond cleanser and the tea tree oil. The tea tree is incredible for thinning hair. I actually had to cut back on using it and now use the seasonal oils for my weekly treatments. With the help of the ladies here I became a mixologist, I always use TT or BGT as part of my first cleanse and always incorporate sweet almond (my holy grail) in my second.cleanse. Rinsing is the key,even when you think you rinsed enough, rinse a little more. If your hair is extremely oily you may want to start with cucumber aloe which is the mos clarifying.
Respected Contributor

If you use it correctly, it will not make your hair oily. In fact, it will balance the oils on your scalp. Also, tea trea is great for those with thinning hair. Wen has a tea tree cleansing conditioner and oil. The oil is great for doing overnight scalp treatments. It will help your hair grow in healthy and will help balance your scalp. Tea tree is my favorite cleansing conditioner. I use it as my first cleanse every day. I have used Wen for almost three years.
Smiley Happy Hilary
Wen girl for 10 years!!
Esteemed Contributor

You may want to start off with a set that has several different CC's since you are trying it for the first time. There is a kit with 4 different CC's I believe on easy pay. The next TSV will be ita the end of Aug/beginning of Sept. And I'm guessing the core formulas should be back again.
Valued Contributor

I'm struggling with very similar issues. Not going into details, but for my hair, Wen has definitely made a world of difference. I know I read an article about Chaz and Wen and he said one of the reasons he made the Tea Tree line was for people suffering with Lupus. I use TT CC and the oil ( I have a TT oil treatment still on from last night. ) with just about every cleanse. My hair loss had slowed a lot. I know it can get worse with flares. But even then, not near as much hair comes out. I don't make any claims for anyone but myself. But for Me, it has helped a lot. And the oils have helped with the skin issues I have as well. I wish you the best in whatever you try. God Bless.
Love my Wen, Love my Animals! God Bless You All!
Regular Contributor

If you are open, look into Carol's Daughters Lisa's Hair Elixir Shampoo and Conditioner. It really works for me. While I used my hands to shampoo and condition my hair it even healed my winter skin. I have scalp issues and this set has been wonderful.

Valued Contributor

I have oily hair & WEN works well with my hair. It actually is one of the few brands that doesn't increase my oil & adds that bounce the oil takes away. However, you have to find the right formula for your hair, the fig was horrible for my hair & Bamboo also weighs down my hair, doesn't help with the oiliness. As a newbie its probably best with your first order, to buy a package with multiple scents/formulas. This is how I found my favorite formulas.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone I appreciate all your responses (-:

Frequent Contributor

On 3/21/2015 BethanyB said: I'm struggling with very similar issues. Not going into details, but for my hair, Wen has definitely made a world of difference. I know I read an article about Chaz and Wen and he said one of the reasons he made the Tea Tree line was for people suffering with Lupus. I use TT CC and the oil ( I have a TT oil treatment still on from last night. ) with just about every cleanse. My hair loss had slowed a lot. I know it can get worse with flares. But even then, not near as much hair comes out. I don't make any claims for anyone but myself. But for Me, it has helped a lot. And the oils have helped with the skin issues I have as well. I wish you the best in whatever you try. God Bless.

God Bless you too..... I really appreciate your post. AND GOD BLESS CHAZ DEAN FOR MAKING PRODUCTS FOR PEOPLE WHO SUFFER FROM LUPUS.... Judith

Trusted Contributor

I'm glad that some women have gotten help using WEN products. I see Chaz declaring how much he uses his products on his entire body then see his hairless arms and hands and have to conclude that WEN can cause hair loss.