Frequent Contributor

Puzzled By The 2nd and 4th Ingredients In VTS-- SD Alcohol and Witch Hazel!!!

I use and enjoy using WEN. I have bee experimenting with the different styling products, so last night when I saw and heard all about the VTS, I was ready to order. I went to check it out and imagine my surprise when I noticed those two ingredients high on the list. Chaz is saying to replace hairspray with this, but those are the drying ingredients in both. Just a little surprised by this.
Honored Contributor

Re: Puzzled By The 2nd and 4th Ingredients In VTS-- SD Alcohol and Witch Hazel!!!

Yeah, I've mentioned it several times in the past but people pretty much ignored me, lol. That is one reason I've never even tried it. That and I really don't need any more volume.

Respected Contributor

Re: Puzzled By The 2nd and 4th Ingredients In VTS-- SD Alcohol and Witch Hazel!!!

I do use the VTS and I understand about the ingredients. I compare it to the spray I used pre-WEN, which was Nexxus. The first ingredient is Denatured Alcohol, so that is what fills most of the bottle. The ingredients are listed in order of proportion, so the VTS is ALOT better if you need volume as I do. HTH, although it's a perfectly valid decision to make a different choice. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Super Contributor

I think the reason these are included in a "volumizing" product is that, much like most hair sprays, once you have styled your hair these products will keep the style by drying the hair into place. Hence, the appearance of extra volume.

Honored Contributor

On 2/23/2015 Kjelle said:

I do use the VTS and I understand about the ingredients. I compare it to the spray I used pre-WEN, which was Nexxus. The first ingredient is Denatured Alcohol, so that is what fills most of the bottle. The ingredients are listed in order of proportion, so the VTS is ALOT better if you need volume as I do. HTH, although it's a perfectly valid decision to make a different choice. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Denatured alcohol and the one in the VTS, SD Alcohol 39-C, are one in the same and it too is listed first in the VTS.

Respected Contributor

I was a HUGE hairspray user, now thanks to WEN I am about down half, and I use the VTS to spray on the rollers I put in my hair after I blow it dry...I leave them in while I do my makeup routine...it kind of sets my hair a bit before I pull my rollers out..I need tons of volume, but that's the only way I like it on my hair..

Frequent Contributor

Thank you, ladies, for your comments. I guess like everything else in the line, we all have to decide for ourselves what we want to use. I was just surprised, after hearing that we should give up things that are bad for our hair, particularly hairspray, as it is so drying. It seemed kind of like conflicting information, but having said that, VTS may still be the better choice between the two. I think that figuring out which of the styling products are best for me is quite challenging, but that's what life is about! God bless you all today.
Trusted Contributor

My hair is fine in texture, but thick. It's long, straight and "heavy", if that makes any sense. I need extra volume at my roots to keep it from looking too flat.

I like both the Wen mousse and VTS, I almost always use one or the other. The VTS can definitely be drying, but only if I use too much. If I stick with the amount that works best for my hair, I don't have a problem with dryness.......it's definitely a case where more is NOT better.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the info Doxiemomma. The SD Alcohol is only first for Lavender, which I don't use. Water is the main component in the other VTSs including BGT and TT. So at least there's that.

I also try to limit use to every other day. You are correct, more is not better.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Trusted Contributor

Two things - $39 is a lot to pay for mostly water and alcohol. The Third ingredient, Acylates/Hydroxyesters Acrylates Copolymer, is the one that actually is the volumizer.

We don't know how much of the "natural" ingredients are in the product, but there are so many of them, the concentration can not be very great. Think about how much you would use on your hair at one time and how much 1/100th of that would be.