Frequent Contributor

Question for those who straightens their hair

There are a lot of posts about wearing your hair curly.... What about people who have naturally curly hair but blow dry and flat iron all the time. Yes, I know, it is not recommended, but I also know that some of us do it all the time. What is your Wen routine?
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Question for those who straightens their hair

I do not have curly hair, but can mention some post I've read from those women, who do.

They were saying, they USED to straighten, and with flat iron as well.

But, with using WEN cc and sc, also using WEN Large Round Brush, they were able to straighten their hair beautifully and easily, and with minimum damaging effects, to the point they gave up flat iron.

They also mentioned, with WEN their curls looked so great, they actually started to LOVE them curls!

So, they got an option to alternate between wearing curls or blowing them straight with the help of Large Round Brush.

I am sure curly hair girls will be here shortly to give you better answer(s) from their experiences, and not only hear-say like I am able to share.

Contributor

My hair is dyed and curly. I am 62. I use 613 first, rinse, and use Fig. I towel dry my hair, and I use Fig Remoist as a leave in. I air dry my hair--it dries curly, and I flat iron it. The Remoist protects the hair from becoming fried. I hope this helps.
Occasional Contributor

My hair is naturally wavy but I rarely wear it that way. I don't straighten my hair but I do blow dry and curl it often. I've also gone through the process of bleaching my hair from box dyed black back to my natural blonde color. My hair is still in fairly good shape despite all of this because of wen! I use the oils a couple of nights a week and I use the remoist once a week. Remoist is key to keeping my hair healthy!
Contributor

Hi Michelle. I have naturally curly hair that I do prefer to straighten. I just received my first shipment of bamboo and I absolutely prefer it, but I tend to gravitate more toward seasonals and 613 formulas. I am 42 and color my hair, and I have fine texture hair (but a lot of it). I wash regularly (twice) with CC and after rinsing well, I use a pump of serum, mixed with a pump of CC and a pump of style cream, and apply to soaked hair. The style cream and the CC help to protect against the heat of the blow dryer (I first blow out with a wen brush but it's not enough to straighten for me) and the serum boosts shine. I do use a flat iron also. Sometimes I will use a half a pump or so of CC or style cream and lightly smooth it on hair. Sometimes I will use a small bit of serum or argon oil, depending on the weather and if it gets a little static-y. I don't have (yet) the wen serum so for now I use herbal essence, it's not as thick as most others (since I have fine hair). If I wear my hair curly (not too often) I will use 5-6 pumps of 613 mousse after the CC/style/ serum mix. Hope this helps.
Contributor

And I do not use remoist treatments (they are too heavy, I will just sleep in CC every two wks or as needed) and I also use the oils once or twice a wk.
Respected Contributor

I have hair that isn't curly and I sometimes use a flat iron after drying my hair. I don't use it very often but when I have my haircut my hairdresser always uses a flat iron to finish the styling process. I always get a lot of compliments after going to my hairdresser. That being said, I know that it takes a lot of effort to straighten curly hair. I know that their are permanent straightening solutions for curly hair that you can ask your hairdresser about. I would imagine that this would be easier than straightening your hair everyday. One of my nieces has very curly hair and when she wants to straighten her hair it takes her hours to get the results that she desires so she doesn't straighten her hair very often.