Trusted Contributor

Need suggestions for naturally curly hair

Hi!

I have naturally curly hair and the cc tends to make it go straight. Wondering if I would have better luck with the mousse or if the rtm or vts might help maintain the curls? I wash every third day (not with Wen) and want my hair to stay curly? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Honored Contributor

Re: Need suggestions for naturally curly hair

I have wavy-curly hair and Fig works the best for me. I have tried all of the WEN styling products except the 613 styling cream and the mousse worked the best to enhance curl and shine, but it didn't prevent frizz at my crown.

Personally, I have chosen to skip all WEN styling products and return to curly-specific products. I really like Curl Keeper, by Curly Hair Solutions (A Canadian company, but you can find it on Amazon or the naturallycurly.com web store), Ouidad, DevaCurl, and Shea Moisture products. I do use WEN oils, remoist, and replenishing treatment mists, but wander outside of WEN for my styling.

If you're looking for help with curly hair, I highly recommend the naturallycurly.com website. They have forums, reviews, links to salons that specialize in curly hair, etc.

Respected Contributor

ITA with everything Chynna said.

I love WEN for cleansing but the styling products didn't do what I wanted to define my curls.

I cocktail AG Re Coil and Curl Keeper into very wet hair. I scrunch and scrunch to get the curls formed and then diffuse dry. My hair is extremely thick, so I just don't have time to air dry most of the time.

These two products seem to be my HG. I get very defined, frizz free curls.

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I have curly hair and the best thing to use is the volumizing treatment spray when your hair is drying. It holds my curls the best. It may be a bit stiff at first but don't panic. It goes away when the hair completely dries and holds my curls very very well. I also have the mousse and that works well too but the VTS is the main go to for curly hold. I am a Fig user too if that matters.

I'll also add that I do add in a few pumps of the glossing serum when I do the SC and I think that helps a bit too but the VTS is my main recommendation to hold your curls.

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I do have AG Recoil and just can't stand what it does to my hair. Don't know if I'm using too much (seems like it) or not enough. My hair is about bra strap length and I use about a nickel's worth. It was so bad last time I used it, I rewashed my hair just ten minutes before I had to leave to go to dinner with a friend. It seems to make my hair sticky.

If you have curly hair, you know the never-ending search we go through for the perfect product.

I may try the vts. I just tire of spending money on products, only for them not to work.

Thanks again.

Respected Contributor

Shaunac,

Sorry the AG ReCoil didn't work for you. I have hair that just touches my shoulders and I use a lot more than you did. Probably a quarter size or more. My hair is very thick and heavy though.

You might try mixing it with a lighter gel like Curl Keeper. Or, it just might not be the right thing for you.

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

I have wavy hair, and use Fig CC to cleanse, as leave in, and then SC; then out of the shower I use Wen Mousse (currently FTP) comb it through then scrunch my hair a bit to get my waves back. Then I spray VTS and scrunch a little more and that really helps keep the waves and helps it air dry. If I don't scrunch, I usually get waves anyway, but scrunching helps "control" them a little better depending on the weather. My hair is much more curly/wavy in the summer. Good luck!

Super Contributor

On 1/20/2015 Shaunac said:

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

I do have AG Recoil and just can't stand what it does to my hair. Don't know if I'm using too much (seems like it) or not enough. My hair is about bra strap length and I use about a nickel's worth. It was so bad last time I used it, I rewashed my hair just ten minutes before I had to leave to go to dinner with a friend. It seems to make my hair sticky.

If you have curly hair, you know the never-ending search we go through for the perfect product.

I may try the vts. I just tire of spending money on products, only for them not to work.

Thanks again.

Amen! My hair still is nowhere near perfect, but Wen has helped and I'm not constantly on the search for something better anymore.

Contributor

Wen makes my curl more pronounced. Although I haven't added the shine serum yet, I mix a small amount of argon oil with wen for leave in and a pump of style cream as a leave in, then use mousse (613) on soaked hair of course. My hair is wavy but I get more curl if I let it dry natural, beautiful un-frizzy spirals. Right now I'm on winter vanilla mint but I just ordered the CC and the style in bamboo.
Respected Contributor

Hello, shaunac. Smile

After you clean your hair with WEN, try using something called Nick Chavez Velvet Mesquite Serum after your hair is washed. I also have curly hair that's a beast to deal with. {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Hope you find something that works for you.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder