Trusted Contributor

Chaz said protein can break hair

He said all these products that promote protein is causing hair to become dry and break. Why would we want to use 613, isnt that adding protein? This was during the a.m. remoist show with Carolyn. Some people wash with 613, some add to current routine, why would you need it and how do you know if you need it?
Respected Contributor

Re: Chaz said protein can break hair

It works for some people and not for others. I'm one of the others. Too much protein makes my hair brittle. I love the 613 scent, but it's too much protein for me.

~Enough is enough~
Trusted Contributor

How do we know? I guess I dont know what brittle hair feels like. I will have to talk to my stylist. She promotes Aveda, so shes neutral on Wen. I will speak generically.
Respected Contributor

I have very fine hair and I use it every day with no problem. It makes my hair dry straighter than other blends I have tried - lavender and tea tree. I only buy the gallons, and I use a gallon from start to finish until it is gone. If it were trouble for my hair, I'd be in big trouble!

Super Contributor

On 1/19/2015 mstyrion 1 said:

It works for some people and not for others. I'm one of the others. Too much protein makes my hair brittle. I love the 613 scent, but it's too much protein for me.

My hair is the same. I have 3 bottles of 613 from a TSV I bought so I started mixing it with other cc just to use it up. About a week ago I noticed I have a ton of split ends. I haven't had split ends since I started using wen 5 yrs ago and now that I'm using the 613 I do. Coincidence...not sure but I'm going to get a good trim and stop using the 613 to see if that helps. Others swear by it...just depends on your hair type.
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
-Walt Disney
Trusted Contributor

Split ends, thats a good indicator to look for.
Honored Contributor

It certainly can but some people's hair needs more protein.

For my hair, too much of it can make it brittle and break. 613 made my hair like that.

Respected Contributor

I don't ever watch the WEN shows, but I have read about this issue here. Chaz's point is that protein can overload your hair if it's not balanced with moisture. Damanged or weak hair can be safely strengthened with protein as long as that balance is achieved.

If you aren't sure whether your hair needs more moisture or more protein, there's lots of advice online for figuring this out (usually on sites dedicated to curly or ethnic hair). Here is some information from one of these.

Do a strand test: take one of your ‘shed’ hairs and wet it. (Note, the difference between a ‘shed’ hair and a hair that has broken off is the ‘shed’ hair will have a little white bulb on the end)

While holding each end of the hair and stretching it:

-If the hair stretches slightly and returns to its original length without breaking, you are balanced.

-If the hair stretches and continues to stretch or stretches a little more than it should and then breaks (snaps), then you need more protein in your regimen.

-If the hair has very little to no stretch to it and instantly breaks(snaps), then you need more moisture in your regime.

Now, other than conducting the strand test, you can also tell by how your hair feels.

-While wet, if your hair feels weak, gummy, very stringy, or limp, you need protein.

-While dry, if your hair feels hard, dry, tangly, brittle, weak or any combination, you need moisture.

Honored Contributor

"He said all these products that promote protein is causing hair to become dry and break. Why would we want to use 613, isnt that adding protein?"

Eating a diet high that is very high in fats is bad for you, but eliminating all fat from your diet is ALSO unhealthy. All things in moderation. If I use too much protein, my hair gets brittle and breaks. I once found a weekly deep treatment I loved so much that I began using it every time I washed my hair. After a while (months), my hair was brittle and started breaking. Now I'm careful about protein.

I love Six-Thirteen because it makes my hair feel so soft. I just don't use it every wash, or even once a week. Sometimes, if I haven't been using any seasonals (which also have more protein than the core cleansing conditioners), I'll use Six-Thirteen a few washes in a row, maybe 3-5 times, then back off again. If I'm using seasonals frequently, I will only use Six-Thirteen rarely.

Hair is like anything else that has to do with your body - you have to learn how your own hair responds to protein the same way you have to learn how your own body responds to food and exercise. Some people need more calories because are very active and some need fewer because they are sedentary. You have to figure out what works best for you.

Esteemed Contributor

He was very correct and that includes 613. I use 613 and FTP <3 frequently and that was a reminder for me to use ReMoist.

If you use any protein product too frequently, you get protein overload: your hair feels like straw and it's dry and brittle. The frequency amount is dependent on the hair. It doesn't happen overnight and there are signs that it is happening.

Protein and moisture should be balanced.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.