Contributor

o.k. My Hair is Starting To Look Too Greasy! What Happened?

I have been using WEN for about 3 years now and have been happy with it. Recently, however, I finally got into my stash of seasonal cleansing products that had been set aside until I finished what I currently had. I love the scents--like apple, pumpkin, mango, etc. Just really wonderful smelling, like you want to eat it. But I am finding that my hair looks like it needs to be washed again almost immediately. It's heavy looking and lays flat. I don't use any other WEN products after cleansing. I tried shaking the product in case all the conditioning ingredients settled to the bottom. But that did not help. Normally, I can wash my hair with WEN and it looks fantastic for 3 full days, only needing to be washed again on the 4th day (my hair still looks fine on the 4th day, but my scalp itches a lot). That's what I loved about WEN: That it didn't grease up my scalp like conditioners did. And that I wasn't a slave to my hair anymore. Anyone else experiencing this with the seasonal ones?

Respected Contributor

Re: o.k. My Hair is Starting To Look Too Greasy! What Happened?

I find that my scalp and hair must be completely creamed up and I need to cleanse rinse and repeat because my scalp is extremely oily. My hair is very long so I MUST use 24 pumps for each cleanse. I know that's a lot but without doing that my hair will not get clean. Also, too much leave in may not be good. How long is your hair and what kind of texture? Mine is fine so from it being very short to shoulder length I only needed a pea size of leave in and one pump of styling creme. I find that the mousse is good for shine and bounce and my hair holds the style no matter what until I wet it again. I see you've been using Wen for three years so your hair may be growing and you need to use more for a good cleanse. That happened to me. I was thinking the same thing like, hey what's going on here? I realized I needed to use more for a good cleanse. From Scalp to ends everything must be saturated in Wen. I also comb it through and let it sit there for the entire shower. I know this may sound odd but using the oils on my scalp over night helped too. I'm sure other posters will have good ideas too. Don't give up! I had many twists and turns too.

Honored Contributor

Nope, I haven't noticed that. What were you using before the seasonals? They're all soy-based, so if you were using wheat-based formulas and moved to soy, that could be it.

I use fewer pumps when I use a seasonal, because they're SO creamy.

You may also want to try a scalp exfoliation. I mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar into with 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil and massage that into my scalp before I shower, then wash as usual. (I do this inside the tub, so that the sugar fallout lands in the tub.) If you don't have grape seed oil, you can use other oils (olive, jojoba, WEN) OR you can use 2 tablespoons of WEN and a small splash of water with the 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.

I like to do this the morning after an overnight oil treatment with WEN oil or my own oil blend, which also includes jojoba oil. The jojoba helps break down any scalp build up overnight and then the sugar scrubs it away to wash down the drain when I wash my hair.

Contributor

On 1/7/2015 sjk73 said:

I find that my scalp and hair must be completely creamed up and I need to cleanse rinse and repeat because my scalp is extremely oily. My hair is very long so I MUST use 24 pumps for each cleanse. I know that's a lot but without doing that my hair will not get clean. Also, too much leave in may not be good. How long is your hair and what kind of texture? Mine is fine so from it being very short to shoulder length I only needed a pea size of leave in and one pump of styling creme. I find that the mousse is good for shine and bounce and my hair holds the style no matter what until I wet it again. I see you've been using Wen for three years so your hair may be growing and you need to use more for a good cleanse. That happened to me. I was thinking the same thing like, hey what's going on here? I realized I needed to use more for a good cleanse. From Scalp to ends everything must be saturated in Wen. I also comb it through and let it sit there for the entire shower. I know this may sound odd but using the oils on my scalp over night helped too. I'm sure other posters will have good ideas too. Don't give up! I had many twists and turns too.

My hair has never been oily, not even my scalp. But since it is in such good shape from using WEN all this time, I have been cheating on the pumps, and sometimes I don't even wash it twice because after just one cleansing, it feels soft and squeaks when I rinse it. My hair is long, thick in volume, but somewhat fine. I never combed through like they do in the presentations. Perhaps I should go back to using twice as many pumps again and then doing the second wash. BTW, I no longer need to leave in product on the ends. I never blow dry my hair--use sponge rollers mostly--and rarely have dry or split ends anymore. Thanks for the suggestions.

Honored Contributor

I'd go back to the formulas that worked well for you. I know I can't use fig as often as I use to because it is too heavy now for my hair and can make it look flat and kind of greasy. It is too much moisture now for my hair.

Valued Contributor

On 1/7/2015 ChynnaBlue said:

Nope, I haven't noticed that. What were you using before the seasonals? They're all soy-based, so if you were using wheat-based formulas and moved to soy, that could be it.

I use fewer pumps when I use a seasonal, because they're SO creamy.

You may also want to try a scalp exfoliation. I mix 1 tablespoon of brown sugar into with 1 tablespoon of grape seed oil and massage that into my scalp before I shower, then wash as usual. (I do this inside the tub, so that the sugar fallout lands in the tub.) If you don't have grape seed oil, you can use other oils (olive, jojoba, WEN) OR you can use 2 tablespoons of WEN and a small splash of water with the 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.

I like to do this the morning after an overnight oil treatment with WEN oil or my own oil blend, which also includes jojoba oil. The jojoba helps break down any scalp build up overnight and then the sugar scrubs it away to wash down the drain when I wash my hair.

Ohh, I LOVE the idea of a brown sugar scrub (not sure why I never thought of it for my scalp!) Thank you!! I am so doing this Saturday night!!

Respected Contributor

Some women have mentioned that every once in a while they need to use a regular shampoo. I used a regular shampoo two weeks ago followed by Wen. My hair went back to normal. Although my problem is dry hair and not oily hair. I have found that my hair gets less oily and I can go longer between cleansings.

Valued Contributor

I've been using WEN for 1.5 yrs. I adjust my pumps accordingly depending on the length of my hair. Recently I've felt my hair looks greasy. I've taken to using dry shampoo on my roots. Usually I use TT for my 1st cleanse then a mix of seasonals with or without FIG for my 2nd cleanse. I've stopped using seasonal. Now I'm using TT then 6/13. My hair is back to normal no grease! Keep at it, you'll find your holy grail of what works for you.
**Suz**
Frequent Contributor

On 1/7/2015 catladyinCA said:
On 1/7/2015 sjk73 said:

My hair has never been oily, not even my scalp. But since it is in such good shape from using WEN all this time, I have been cheating on the pumps, and sometimes I don't even wash it twice because after just one cleansing, it feels soft and squeaks when I rinse it. My hair is long, thick in volume, but somewhat fine. I never combed through like they do in the presentations. Perhaps I should go back to using twice as many pumps again and then doing the second wash. BTW, I no longer need to leave in product on the ends. I never blow dry my hair--use sponge rollers mostly--and rarely have dry or split ends anymore. Thanks for the suggestions.

you've basically just figured out why you're having problems and what you need to do to fix it...

Honored Contributor

I've been a WEN girl for 2 years and have never felt like I need to use a regular shampoo every so often. In fact I get my hair colored and trimmed every 8 weeks like clockwork and my hairdresser uses a sulfate-free shampoo. My hair feels dry and yucky afterwards so I come home and do a re-moist treatment and it feels much better!
Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.