New Contributor

Hi everyone, I love my Wen and have been using it for 2-3 years now. I just dyed my hair red and have a question hopefully you can help me with. I just shampooed for the first time using the new seasonal scents I got as a TSV, the winter mint one. While I had it sitting on my hair, I had re dye running down my face! I was quite shocked. I had my hair color a week ago and this was my first shampoo. Do you think it was the seasonal scent I used, should I try the 613 or tea tree or lavender. I have a bunch of all of them. But, I just got these 5 new scents and was anxious to try them! When I washed it out, the water was a rust color. I don't want to see my expensive hair color run down the drain! Please let me know if anyone has any ideas on this one!! I previously dyed my hair light brown and never had a problem that I know of. But, the seasonal scent was a new one for me! Thanks everyone!

New Contributor

Re: Help with Red Color Fade

Hi Trin! I work in a hair salon, so, while I'm not a hairdresser, let me tell you what I know about hair color. First, red is the hardest color to keep in your hair because the molecules that make up red hair dye are larger than that of brown or blonde, and because of their larger size, the red has a harder time 'sticking' to your hair. Red washing out, especially with your first wash, is totally normal. Second, my color stays WAAAAAYYYYYYYY longer with Wen that with the Sulfate-free shampoo I was using before I started Wen. All the stylists I work with always say to me that they don't know why my color is staying so well for so long. I don't tell them it's Wen because if I told them I use a product that we don't sell in the salon, they'd get mad and I could get fired. Red washing out is bound to happen (even if you just ran water through it, you would see it rinse out), but Wen will keep your color longer, I promise you.
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply, you have made me feel much better! I was worried it was somehow the seasonal scent. I love my Wen! Take care,Trina

Regular Contributor

I too could never keep red in my hair. Every time I wenned I saw the red being washed down the drain. My solution was to go blonde.
New Contributor

I used to be blonde back in the 80's, I could keep it as an option LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

I had red color for several years. Never once did I see 'red' dye running from my hair when I washed it! Wow, I would check what brand they are using. I also only wash my hair every 5 days.

Respected Contributor

On 12/19/2014 jompyshy said: Hi Trin! I work in a hair salon, so, while I'm not a hairdresser, let me tell you what I know about hair color. First, red is the hardest color to keep in your hair because the molecules that make up red hair dye are larger than that of brown or blonde, and because of their larger size, the red has a harder time 'sticking' to your hair. Red washing out, especially with your first wash, is totally normal. Second, my color stays WAAAAAYYYYYYYY longer with Wen that with the Sulfate-free shampoo I was using before I started Wen. All the stylists I work with always say to me that they don't know why my color is staying so well for so long. I don't tell them it's Wen because if I told them I use a product that we don't sell in the salon, they'd get mad and I could get fired. Red washing out is bound to happen (even if you just ran water through it, you would see it rinse out), but Wen will keep your color longer, I promise you.

Excellent post and closest to the truth, I feel. I used to color my hair for years but not red, I had tons of red pigment naturally I was trying to get rid of, anyway, some color will run but I believe Wen will keep your color vibrant longer just like this poster said. Good show ole' beeny bone!

Respected Contributor

It's completely normal to have some color come out of your hair on the first wash.

I have a medium auburn shade done and I always have a little bit of the color come out the first time I wash after coloring. That being said, WEN does preserve the brightness of my red far longer than anything else I ever used. I don't get those brassy tones that used to happen at about week three.

~Enough is enough~
Contributor

I've colored my hair red for over 10 years, and losing a bit especially on a first wash is perfectly normal. I used to manage a salon, and had access to every professional hair product imaginable. Hands down Wen is not only the best for your hair, but definitely has the least fade. Continue with what you love, and just know that red is the hardest color and known for fading, especially if its new to your hair. Enjoy being red and your Wen!
Trusted Contributor

I used to color my hair a dark brown with a hint of red, to match my natural highlights (the ones I would have if I spent any time in the sun). WEN helped me keep my color very well.

My aunt has been coloring her hair a shade of red not found in nature for a number of years. She finally started using WEN a few months ago and has been amazed how it helps hold her color.

I don't recall if I had any red come out with the first wash or two. But I know that's very common for red, as the others here have said. I wouldn't worry about it unless it is still happening on wash 5 or 6.