Contributor

Leave in + styling creme= mess?

Hello! I'm not sure if this is just my experience or if anyone else has experienced this but lately I've noticed a weird thing happen when I go to apply my Wen CC as a leave in and use a styling creme right after. For some reason the texture becomes grainy and I can see white gritty things. It's hard to explain correctly. I'll use Tea Tree, a seasonal or 613 as my leave in and currently have Summer Honey Peach styling creme so I'm not sure if somehow mixing the two creates a weird mixture. I've tried applying them together (mixed) and separately but still notice a grainy texture. Has anyone else experiencing this? Now when my hair dries (I let it air dry or use the cool setting on a dryer), the grainy things will disappear but just having that texture while massaging the leave in & styling creme is odd. I'm sure it's not dangerous or whatever but to me it's just annoying. Hoping anyone can give me advice as I don't want to go without either the leave in or styling creme. Thank you!
Super Contributor

Re: Leave in + styling creme= mess?

Sorry I can't help you, I've never experienced that and I've mixed all different formulas of cc and sc.
Honored Contributor

The only thing I've experienced that's remotely similar was when I tried to mix leave-in CC, styling creme, and volumizing treatment spray together and they didn't mix well. I never have a problem with the SC and VTS, but when trying to mix them with the CC, they just didn't mix - the CC broke down some, but still was separated rather than having a smooth emulsion. Even so, there was never a grainy feeling. I honestly don't see how WEN could turn grainy. In any case, whatever you're experiencing, I doubt that it would be dangerous or damaging per se.

Respected Contributor

On 12/15/2014 okiebug said: Sorry I can't help you, I've never experienced that and I've mixed all different formulas of cc and sc.

I agree with okiebug and have never had any problems from mixing cc and sc. I also have used many combinations of mixing them together.

Respected Contributor

I have not had the 'gritty' problem you describe. That is really interesting. I can't imagine what is causing it.

I do find that I get MUCH better results if I don't mix my leave-in with the styling cream as one step. I do my leave-in as part of the shower, step out, do a very light toweling, then while my hair is still pretty wet, I emulsify the styling cream really (really) well in my hands and then rake it through starting underneath. When I mix the leave-in and styling cream together, my hair loses its bounce. User error I'm sure!

Esteemed Contributor

Megan,

I've had that happen prior to Wen. If I used two incompatible products on dirty (cowashed) hair, I would get tiny white balls. I air dry my hair, so I'm not sure about the dryer aspect.

Some things to consider: are you getting your hair clean when you cleanse; are you rinsing enough; are you using any non-Wen products?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Although I don't really know what you mean by "grainy things" since I've never had that experience, I know it takes a bit of experimentation to find out what combination of things and how much of each works for your hair. Just play around with it- change up amounts, omit one of the products, etc. If nothing works, they just aren't for your hair.

Respected Contributor

On 12/15/2014 HappyDaze said:

Although I don't really know what you mean by "grainy things" since I've never had that experience, I know it takes a bit of experimentation to find out what combination of things and how much of each works for your hair. Just play around with it- change up amounts, omit one of the products, etc. If nothing works, they just aren't for your hair.

I agree and some Wenners just use styling products that they used prior to using Wen. You may also try using the styling creme without the cc as a leave-in.

Contributor

I am extremely new to WEN having only bought my first products with the August TSV (POM) and then having bought the December TSV (Seasonal) . . . I have no idea what took me so long as I absolutely love WEN and what it is doing for my hair (once I figured out how much to use).

DearMegan, I just wanted you to know that you are not going crazy - LOL!!! Although I did not have the "grainy" issue at all while using POM on its own, last night I cleansed my hair with Fall Ginger Pumpkin (1st time) and then tried to mix FGP (as a leave in) with POM (styling cream) and it "balled" up in the palms of my hands so I do know exactly what you are talking about. The product was not grainy or gritty feeling . . I could just see that it was balling up or beading in my palms. I still used it in my hair and it worked out perfect!!! So, I believe it might just be that the products just didn't mix well together.

All that being said, I'm still learning and I love reading all of the WEN tips from you lovely ladies! Please keep sharing all of your WEN knowledge.

Michelle

Valued Contributor

If it is not affecting your final styled hair then I would not worry.

But just curious is there a reason why you don't want to go without either? The CC, as a leave in, is rather a suggestion not a "must do". Not everyone can use the CC as a leave in anyways. The SC was made specifically for styling the hair (hence the name) and not only used for heat protection against styling tools but also to give moisture, shine and frizz reducer for when you are air drying. Why not try just using your SHP SC without the CC as a leave in?

SHP SC is actually my favorite of all the leave in's and I use it specifically for when I am air drying or want extra shine (gotta love that honey complex that's in it). When I want extra moisture I add either SHP or Fig oil to the SHP SC. And when I really am abusing my hair with heat tools I'll use the 613 SC and sometimes oil as well. Smile