New Contributor

Wen smell after cleansing and using products

Hello all!

New to this forum, but not new to WEN! Holla!

... but, I have a question for you all. I was born without a sense of smell.

I love WEN and I LOVE reading all of your reviews about the different smells. It really helps me try to pick out which ones I might want to smell like, if that makes any sense. Haha.

My question is: does WEN smell after you wash it out of your hair? I use a bit as a leave in conditioner, and I use the treatment mist, and the styling cream. Will this leave a scent in my hair? if yes, will it be faint, or noticeable?

Right now, I've been using the mist, styling cream, mousse, and oil in the Sweet Almond Mint. I also have the 613 CC, and the new WWC CC as well.

Thank you all so much for your help!

Valued Contributor

Re: Wen smell after cleansing and using products

Welcome to the forum. I think Bamboo Green Tea has the best smell of any Wen hands down. However the best formula for my hair is Tea Tree which some find way to mentholy in the smell department.

Trusted Contributor

Welcome to the forum, jompyshy! The only scents I have found to leave a lingering scent are SHP (a light, pleasant scent by most reviews) and FAS (a stronger, and longer-lingering objectionable maple syrup scent by most reviews). I do use both, but would recommend skipping the FAS if you are worried about how others around you will interpret the scent. I only use FAS on the weekends now, after reading about posters going to work and their co-workers commenting about smelling maple syrup Smiley Happy. I believe you would be safe with any other scents.
"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

I had exactly that concern yesterday after I used Wen for the first time again after using it once long ago. I could still smell the pumpkin fragrance from the seasonals TSV right after I used it and put a pump or two in my wet hair. However, within maybe an hour it was gone. I was glad about that because I don't want to walk around spelling of pumpkin and spices.

Honored Contributor

I tried WEN years ago. Used it once and threw it away! The smell was so horrible and strong I couldn't stomach it!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Oh my son can't smell either! I am very sensitive to this due to giving him smell advice for most of his life!...I agree most of the smells don't linger, (at least on me)...one of my favorite is the FAS tho, I mix it with Fall Tuscan Pear and it smells great, plus the smell doesn't stay with my hair anyway...enjoy them all and welcome..Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I don't even want to post about how Wen smells. It hurts me very much to hear of someone that is lacking in one of the five senses. I'm very sorry. Don't worry, hon, Wen does not smell loud after you rinse it out. I've used ALL of the formulations and my sense of smell is very sharp indeed. You can use ANY Wen with confidence that no one will be offended. My husband can be very objectionable to strong smells and in the car (close quarters) he smells nothing and never complains. Don't cheat yourself out of the benefits of Wen.

Trusted Contributor

I have been using WEN for at least four years and I don't recall anyone ever commenting on the scent. I personally do not have an overly sensitive sense of smell--I'm guessing due to years of allergies. The only time I notice the scent on myself (other than during the cleansing or styling process) is when I take my hair down from the clip I keep it twisted up in every day. My hair is up in a twist every day, all day, until I'm ready to go to bed. When I take it down and untwist it, I do get a noticeable whif of the WEN scent. Sometimes that happens even a day or two after I have cleansed.

My last cleanse was on Thursday morning. I used Tea Tree for my first cleanse, 613 for my second cleanse, then TT CC as a leave-in, TT styling cream and 613 mousse. The scent that I have noticed when I take down my hair is the 613 scent. Last night I stopped to get my hair trimmed after work and when my hair was wet (just from a spray bottle of water) I smelled the 613 again. I don't know if that's because the 613 scent is stronger or just because that was the last product I used. It's a pleasant scent, so I don't worry about it. What lingering scent I have noticed from any other WEN products is faint enough, that I doubt anyone would find it objectionable. TT is a scent that some people find medicinal and unpleasant when using it (not me), but I think even that is faint enough after drying that it shouldn't be a problem.

Others with more sensitive noses may feel a bit differently.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi jompy! Welcome!

The cleansing conditioner scent doesn't linger long after you rinse it out. However, when it's layered with the RTM, it will stay for a few hours.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I can't even imagine not being able to smell and so sorry to hear that you have this condition. I have used most of the Wen cleansing conditioners and the only one that I couldn't tolerate and wouldn't advise you to use is FAS because of the heavy maple syrup fragrance that lingers. I couldn't even use it since the scent really gave me a headache and I couldn't tolerate it. I gave it to a friend that likes it. I wouldn't think that most of the other Wen formulas would bother anyone else and the scents don't really linger.