Contributor

Cleaning WEN Boar Brushes...

Any suggestions for how to clean the WEN Boar Bristle Brushes?

I admittedly should have done this awhile ago and now I am getting styling product residue leftovers on my Medium & Large Boar Brushes. From what I've heard, I am supposed to put the brushes in boiling hot water to soak and then scrape them off with another brush or comb. I'm worried that will ruin the brush or melt the nylon. Does anyone have any tips or tricks for making this as easy as possible without ruining them?

Thanks!!!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cleaning WEN Boar Brushes...

Where did you hear that? I'd be afraid to put them in boiling water. Wood should never be submerged in water and I'd be concerned about the glue softening and the bristles pulling out. I do what you do with another brush or comb (I also have a tool specifically for this). If I was going to use any water, I'd make it be cool water with a little hand soap or face wash - suds it up quickly and rinse it off quickly. Then shake as much remaining water off as possible and let it dry.

Respected Contributor

On 12/8/2014 Macy said:

how does he get the leaping bunny seal when he carries boar brushes? You have to kill those animals to take the bristles off their back. He's a hypocrite IMO. Boar is not exactly a staple in the meat markets so that the hair is a by-product.

I just googled and while not ALL boar bristles are humanely harvested, there are some places that get them by shearing the boars...much like sheep are sheared for their wool.

Frequent Contributor

On 12/8/2014 vermint said:
On 12/8/2014 Macy said:

how does he get the leaping bunny seal when he carries boar brushes? You have to kill those animals to take the bristles off their back. He's a hypocrite IMO. Boar is not exactly a staple in the meat markets so that the hair is a by-product.

I just googled and while not ALL boar bristles are humanely harvested, there are some places that get them by shearing the boars...much like sheep are sheared for their wool.

Thank you for this, it's accurate. Leaping Bunny looks into all things when certification is being processed.

Super Contributor

On 12/8/2014 Hair Today Gone Tomorrow said:
On 12/8/2014 Macy said:

Thank you for this, it's accurate. Leaping Bunny looks into all things when certification is being processed.

awesome!!!!!!! thanks for sharing the accurate info!

#IamTeamWen
Trusted Contributor

On 12/8/2014 Macy said:

amazing what you find when you do a bit of research {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1} thanks for posting this information vermint!

live....laugh....love
Respected Contributor

I clean my wood/boar brushes with WEN.

Put WEN cleanser in a tall glass with warm water, insert the brush, let it soak 30 minutes, then run the brush under warm water from the faucet. All the "gunk" disappears, the wood is not hurt, the bristles are happy and sweet-smelling.

Honored Contributor

TwinsMom,

I don't think the brushes would withstand being boiled! Wonder why in the world they would need to be boiled? Unless they had been used by someone who had something contagious .....?

Well, at any rate, I wash mine with which ever CC is handy, comb out any hair caught up in the brush with my WEN comb, and wash with CC again. Then I place them on a towel to air dry.

Happy cleaning!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I would call the salon and ask them. Since they have so many, I'm sure they will know. The salon number is on the back of every WEN container.

Esteemed Contributor

mine melted with my hair dryer so be careful ( the bristles to be accurate)