Frequent Contributor

CC As a Leave-In Does Not Seem To Work! So Frustrating!

I skip this most of the time, because it seems to make my hair feel like I didn't rinse enough. It makes it almost feel dry and at the same time, dirty. I know that this is supposed to be a must, but Rinse, rinse, rinse, and then add more back in seems counter-intuitive. I'm just not seeing great results yet, but I keep trying to experiment to get it right for me. The greatest thing for me, and what keeps me trying is that my hair loss is quite a bit less now with WEN. But great hair, not so much. I hadn't tried the styling products yet, as I wanted to be able to know how the CCs worked first. I just ordered the POM Discovery Kit yesterday, so I can experiment some more. Thanks for letting me vent!
Contributor

Re: CC As a Leave-In Does Not Seem To Work! So Frustrating!

I use Re-moist as a leave-in, and it works wonders on my fried hair.
Super Contributor

I use the CC as a leave in occasionally - sounds to me like you might be using too much?

Respected Contributor

Did you use styling products prior to using Wen? If you had favorite styling products before Wen you may just continue to use these. Many Wenners use other products for styling their hair. If using the cc as a leave-in isn't working you shouldn't use it.

Respected Contributor

It's frustrating, I know! I can't use even a full pump as leave-in or my hair feels "coated", no matter how much I twist, rake and work it in, but I do need a little something extra. I've found that if I just pump some into an empty bottle, and water it down by about 2/3's, that works great---but I can still use only about a quarter-sized amount. Sometimes I mix it with Styling Cream, sometimes I do the leave-in 1st, then the SC (1 pump). My hair is fairly thick, slightly wavy and chin-length.

Really GOOD hair took a while for me...and I'm still seeing improvement. I started out using WEN as a leave-in only, just about a year ago, then became a full on WEN girl in March. Since then, my hair has shown steady improvement. I've just in the last couple weeks been able to go from daily cleansing to every other day.

I tell you all this to say...as long as you are seeing improvement, don't give up! It takes a little tweaking, and you may want to gradually add in some of the other products (in addition to CC and SC, I use Replenishing Treatment Mist, the oils and Volumizing Treatment Spray. I also use Remoist, but only every couple of months after I visit my stylist, who uses shampoo on my hair.

Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I understand why the rinsing/add back process seems counter-intuitive! One of the important things about rinsing well is to get your scalp clean and free from product. When you are adding back your leave-in it would be in the 'pony tail' part of your hair. Know what I mean?

If you get too much leave-in on the top of your head, your hair can feel weighed down. Also, are you cleansing twice? That part is important too to get rid of the dirts and oils with your first cleanse, then condition with the second. Making it a two step process is really important for most of us.

Feel free to vent anytime!

Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 susan25 said:

Did you use styling products prior to using Wen? If you had favorite styling products before Wen you may just continue to use these. Many Wenners use other products for styling their hair. If using the cc as a leave-in isn't working you shouldn't use it.

This!

I love my WEN, but after trying all of the WEN styling products, I don't use any of them and stick to curly-specific styling products.

I've been using a leave-in since the 80s, but not everyone needs one. You might try using less or, if it works, don't any. You mentioned it sounds counter-intuitive to rinse thoroughly and then add more of the same product as a leave-in. There are many sources that recommend not rinsing out ALL of the conditioner (WEN or regular conditioner, because leave-in conditioners aren't just a WEN thing) and letting the remainder act as your leave-in. That's a tricky thing, though - leaving just the right amount in when you're rinsing under a shower head. I know I find it much easier to control the amount when I add it back in at the end.

Respected Contributor

Try the RTM. I spray that all over my soaking wet hair first and work it in. I focus more on my crown and roots and it leaves my hair feeling silky smooth. I also then combine 4 drops of oil with one pump styling creme and either 1/2 pump cc from the 32 oz bottle or 1 pump from the 16 oz bottle. I work that into the ponytail section of my hair through the ends. It usually absorbs right in and I have nothing left to rake through the rest of my hair. If you find the cc to be too heavy, just use the RTM.
Contributor

You didn't mention what your hair is like- meaning thin/thick, textured, curly/straight, fine, etc... I know the on-air presentations don't indicate it should matter what your hair is like, only the length should matter, when it comes to how much leave-in, styling CREME to use. Personally, I have fine thin hair & can't use full pumps of either the CC or SC after I cleanse. It took me awhile to figure out what & how much works best for *my* hair. I use a dime sized dollap of CC as a leave-in (or sometimes a smear of remoist) and a pea sized squirt of SC. Any more and my hair is weighed down and I'm not happy with the results. Best advice has already been given :: don't give up & keep trying different things until you find what works for you.
Respected Contributor

First of all, what type of hair do you have and how long is it? I had trouble like that too but now after experimenting I got it. Hang in there and keep trying, it does work.