Frequent Contributor

WEN tips and secrets for the newbies

My daughter and I just started using WEN about a month ago...(we are using the 613). I also just ordered the 613 oil and "classic" WEN TSV yesterday. I was VERY skeptical of using something that did not lather up. Smiley Happy it took us a time or two to figure it out...but we love it! Smiley Happy We dont notice as much hair falling out, (hardly any at all compared to when we used shampoo!) and our hair is much softer and has a ton of bounce! But I can DEFINITELY tell if I dont rinse enough! lol I have read that the Tea Tree and Bamboo Green Tea CC helps your hair to grow faster?? My daughter also has a dry spot on her scalp and was hoping the "613 oil" will help that?? Was just wondering if anyone has any tips or advice for all the WEN newbies! Smiley Happy

I am still reading up on everyone's posts and learning alot! Smiley Happy Thanks!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WEN tips and secrets for the newbies

Hi 2q! Welcome to Wen!

613 is a type of protein formula. You may need a moisturizing formula to balance it out.

My tip: add a splash of water to froth up your CC.

The TT formula will help your daughter's dry spot. That is one of my favorite CCs.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

I should start off by saying I have fine, shoulder-length hair that is normal-to-oily.

I’ve been using Wen off and on since 2010. Every time I had used it in the past I had used it for maybe 4 days in a row and then my hair felt weighted down so I’d go back to regular shampoo.

Fast-forward to this past spring when I FINALLY paid attention to the directions “..for best results, cleanse, rinse and repeat.” Well, I always assumed that was a way to sell more product and it’s already kinda pricey so I never did it. BUT I hadn’t paid attention to the fact that it says if you do it that way, to use HALF the amount of pumps for each cleanse so you’re really not using any more product than usual.

This was a game-changer.

So I finally did it the right way for me: I get in the shower and get my hair to soaking wet first. Then I pump 2 pumps at a time and work into my scalp really well (since the first wash is more of the cleansing vs. the second which is more conditioning) and use a total of probably 8 pumps. I kinda tip my head back quickly under the showerhead a few times while doing this to help work the product in since it doesn’t lather. Then I rinse, rinse, rinse. On to the second cleanse. I do the same thing, but make sure to give more love to the ponytail section of my hair. Then I take a WIDE tooth comb and comb through, twist up into a hair clip and leave for the rest of my shower.

Rinse, rinse, rinse while working my fingers through. You just really want to make sure you get it rinsed well. Then I add back 1 pump as a leave-in to just the ponytail section. I was so afraid of using any leave-in for fear of weighing hair down, but it works awesome.

The first time I did my hair THIS way, it made a world of difference. Hair was not weighted down at all and so shiny and bouncy and I haven’t looked back since.

Regular Contributor

If you go to chazdean.com there is a product recommender that will tell you what formula to use based on your hair type, scalp condition, etc. I would try that and see what it gives you. Definitely rinsing enough is a huge thing also. Right now I only use the CC, RTM, and SC. The RTM I used to refresh my hair on between cleansing days.

Honored Contributor

I've colored my hair for the last 15 years or so and so I'm very aware of my roots and how fast my hair grows. If my hair started growing faster, I'd have to adjust how often I colored my roots. I've used WEN for almost 4 years and Tea Tree for one year. I've never noticed my hair growth rate change no matter what I use - shampoo, WEN, Fig, Tea Tree, Tea Tree oil, etc. There has been no scientific study done to confirm that tea tree oil will make hair grow faster. I don't buy that at all. There's a reason Chaz always circles around things with tea tree and says he "can't make claims." He can't make claims because no good science backs those claims up, whether those claims are regarding dandruff, lice, or hair growth.

I use an love Tea Tree, it just doesn't make hair grow faster. I do experience less shedding when I use the oils on a regular basis and my hair sheds less with WEN in general, which does lead to thicker, fuller hair - but not growth.

Contributor

On 11/18/2014 MandySays said:

I should start off by saying I have fine, shoulder-length hair that is normal-to-oily.

I’ve been using Wen off and on since 2010. Every time I had used it in the past I had used it for maybe 4 days in a row and then my hair felt weighted down so I’d go back to regular shampoo.

Fast-forward to this past spring when I FINALLY paid attention to the directions “..for best results, cleanse, rinse and repeat.” Well, I always assumed that was a way to sell more product and it’s already kinda pricey so I never did it. BUT I hadn’t paid attention to the fact that it says if you do it that way, to use HALF the amount of pumps for each cleanse so you’re really not using any more product than usual.

This was a game-changer.

So I finally did it the right way for me: I get in the shower and get my hair to soaking wet first. Then I pump 2 pumps at a time and work into my scalp really well (since the first wash is more of the cleansing vs. the second which is more conditioning) and use a total of probably 8 pumps. I kinda tip my head back quickly a few times while doing this to help work the product in since it doesn’t lather. Then I rinse, rinse, rinse. On to the second cleanse. I do the same thing, but make sure to give more love to the ponytail section of my hair. Then I take a WIDE tooth comb and comb through, twist up into a hair clip and leave for the rest of my shower.

Rinse, rinse, rinse while working my fingers through. You just really want to make sure you get it rinsed well. Then I add back 1 pump as a leave-in to just the ponytail section. I was so afraid of using any leave-in for fear of weighing hair down, but it works awesome.

The first time I did my hair THIS way, it made a world of difference. Hair was not weighted down at all and so shiny and bouncy and I haven’t looked back since.

I'll have to second Mandy! This is my exact process as well and it works like a charm.
Respected Contributor

I think using enough water to "froth" up the CC is key to good results. That "splash of water" thing? Not nearly clear enough instructions in my opinion. I have noticed lately that Chaz is adding after "splash of water", "or stick your head under the shower for just a second". YES! This is what I do...and I literally count "one-one thousand", lol! Sometimes after massaging a bit, I stick it under briefly again and massage some more. My hair "squeaks" after my final rinse, just like when I was using shampoo.

You also need to work that stuff down to your scalp and massage really well. I'll even use my fingernails on my scalp very lightly--don't want to damage the skin!

Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 vermint said:

I think using enough water to "froth" up the CC is key to good results. That "splash of water" thing? Not nearly clear enough instructions in my opinion. I have noticed lately that Chaz is adding after "splash of water", "or stick your head under the shower for just a second". YES! This is what I do...and I literally count "one-one thousand", lol! Sometimes after massaging a bit, I stick it under briefly again and massage some more. My hair "squeaks" after my final rinse, just like when I was using shampoo.

Yes to this! This is even more important for the thicker formulas, like the seasonals or 613. If you try to comb those through your hair without adding water, you'll pull your hair out. (Possibly the issue with some of those "WEN made my hair fall out!" people.) Add water before you massage it into your scalp or comb it through your hair.

Once a month I do a scalp massage with brown sugar. It clears buildup and feels great. I mix a loose tablespoon of brown sugar with a tablespoon of grape seed oil and massage that into my scalp. I do it the morning after a WEN oil treatment, because the jojoba oil in the WEN oil also helps clear scalp buildup. If you don't have a carrier oil, you can make the scrub by mixing 1 tablespoon of brown sugar with 1 tablespoon of WEN and do the same thing. I add some pure (non-WEN) tea tree oil to the mix, too.

Esteemed Contributor

You just refreshed my memory of when I first started using it way back when, can't believe it will be 8 years soon. Yes, TT and BGT does promote hair growth. I always use TT as part or all of my first cleanse but recently started using BGT and cannot believe how much my hair has grown in a few short weeks. Tea tree oil is great for scalp issues and also promotes growth so I suggest your DD try it, glad your enjoying Wen, welcome to the forum.
Frequent Contributor

Thank ya'll for your helpful tips!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup} I printed out your tips/advice to read! I have medium length hair and my daughters is longer, both fine and normal to oily as well. Our hair is in need of repair and I hope WEN is the key to success!! Have been getting trims every 4-6 weeks, stopped using a flat iron in June. But I do use blow dryer each day and I use velcro rollers. She is engaged and the date is set for next September. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin} / {#emotions_dlg.sad} I know you moms out there know how I am feeling...happy but sad lol I ordered the CC Tea Tree (for daughter) and the Bamboo Green Tea (for me) so we can use those as the first cleanse and then the 613 as the second cleanse/condition. I am still learning the lingo of WEN too! haha

Again...Thanks for the info!!