Honored Contributor

How much moisture do you really NEED????

I color my gray every 6 weeks. Blow dry my hair every other day. I have used WEN for almost two years, but it is often too greasy and makes my hair limp - even with extended rinsings and two cleanses with lots of product. My hair grows well, is full and healthy.

How much moisture do you ladies actually need????

I am beginning to think that WEN is for people who peroxide, fry, and abuse their hair on a regular basis.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: How much moisture do you really NEED????

Hi terrier,

My hair is as natural as it can get: no relaxer, no color, no heat...just wild, bipolar curls.

My healthy hair drinks moisture as if I fried it daily.

Are you still shampooing regularly? Wen shouldn't make your hair limp or greasy.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I actually don't understand how 'moisture' is being used in relation to Wen. I interpret it to mean that my hair doesn't feel dry (like straw) when I use it. I only get highlights 3 times a year and blow dry my hair - but I do cleanse every day. I don't have any issues with my hair being too greasy or limp. I can go a day without cleansing, but I like to cleanse every day.

I do have a lot of hair and I have about 5 or 6 different types of hair on my head with lots of cowlicks - lucky me. LOL.

I'm sure it does not work the same for everyone. Maybe try shampoo the first wash and Wen the second? I gave my cousin some to try and she has baby fine, straight hair and I told her to try it as just a conditioner first to see if she likes it.

Honored Contributor

On 11/17/2014 cosmic1 said:

I actually don't understand how 'moisture' is being used in relation to Wen. I interpret it to mean that my hair doesn't feel dry (like straw) when I use it. I only get highlights 3 times a year and blow dry my hair - but I do cleanse every day. I don't have any issues with my hair being too greasy or limp. I can go a day without cleansing, but I like to cleanse every day.

I do have a lot of hair and I have about 5 or 6 different types of hair on my head with lots of cowlicks - lucky me. LOL.

I'm sure it does not work the same for everyone. Maybe try shampoo the first wash and Wen the second? I gave my cousin some to try and she has baby fine, straight hair and I told her to try it as just a conditioner first to see if she likes it.

That is what I do now - use WEN as a conditioner.

I just don't get how many women say their hair is like straw and they need SUPER moisturizing.

What do they do to their hair??? Overuse hot rollers, blow dryers, etc.???

Honored Contributor

On 11/17/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Hi terrier,

My hair is as natural as it can get: no relaxer, no color, no heat...just wild, bipolar curls.

My healthy hair drinks moisture as if I fried it daily.

Are you still shampooing regularly? Wen shouldn't make your hair limp or greasy.

I am finding I need to shampoo MORE frequently lately.

It's wavy though, not curly. Maybe that makes a difference too.

Respected Contributor

OP, maybe you did what I did this summer. Overmoisturized and neglected the protein part of the equation. Now I'm hitting the 613 hard to get my curls back with the springy hold I am used to. Alternately, I don't know what CC you are using, but maybe it's a scalp issue and not a hair issue. Are you doing TT oil treatments on your scalp to normalize your scalp's oil production? Are you using TT CC? That may be your route to less greasy roots and stretching your cleanses another day. In actuality, the longer you use WEN, the less and less you should have to blow dry or fry your hair. Naturally, it will look and behave better.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Respected Contributor

Moisture needs vary as wildly as individual hair types.

Curly hair, in general, needs more moisture. Long hair probably needs more moisture on the ends than very short hair. The shorter the hair, the closer to the scalp. Just common sense.

It makes no sense to try to apply one hard and fast rule regarding cleansing to everyone. You just have to become attuned to your own needs and adjust accordingly. If you consistently get greasy hair, that simply means you need to adjust your routine.

I have very thick, longer, curly hair. It has never been "fried, peroxided or abused". I do get one process color. I use WEN because it works for me. How I use it is probably notihng like you would need to use it if you have thinner , straighter, shorter hair.

~Enough is enough~
Super Contributor

I m searching something better now for my hairs.sounds like they are more rough

Respected Contributor

On 11/17/2014 mstyrion 1 said:

Moisture needs vary as wildly as individual hair types.

Curly hair, in general, needs more moisture. Long hair probably needs more moisture on the ends than very short hair. The shorter the hair, the closer to the scalp. Just common sense.

It makes no sense to try to apply one hard and fast rule regarding cleansing to everyone. You just have to become attuned to your own needs and adjust accordingly. If you consistently get greasy hair, that simply means you need to adjust your routine.

I have very thick, longer, curly hair. It has never been "fried, peroxided or abused". I do get one process color. I use WEN because it works for me. How I use it is probably notihng like you would need to use it if you have thinner , straighter, shorter hair.

Great post and I agree with it. Did you take the recommender on the Chaz Dean site? You may be using the wrong formula for your hair type. I also agree that you need to add tt overnight treatments if you aren't already doing this.

Honored Contributor

On 11/17/2014 susan25 said:

Great post and I agree with it. Did you take the recommender on the Chaz Dean site? You may be using the wrong formula for your hair type. I also agree that you need to add tt overnight treatments if you aren't already doing this.

The suggestion on the site was POM. It was the absolute WORST for my hair. I had to give it away.