Frequent Contributor
I'm new to WEN and so far I really love it. It dawned on me after a week that I wasn't losing hair like before. I was constantly picking hair off my clothes all day long which was so annoying! Even on my pillowcase in the morning. I must say it was an unexpected surprise to me. I'm using SAM and POM. I purchased the TT oil and I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with leaving the TT oil on their scalp overnight. I've used it three different nights (once a week) to encourage hair growth. The next day I clean thoroughly and my hair looks great but twice I've felt a sore spot on my scalp in two different places that feels like a small pimple. Yesterday I had only one spot but this time it felt like a bruised spot on my scalp. Like when you bump your head! Weird, huh?! The next day my scalp is just fine. Could I be using more than I should or massaging it in too much? Maybe overnight is too long for me. Just wondering if it's just me or have others had this happen. I'm excited to try other oils but I read the TT was good for hair growth. Thanks for any help.
Super Contributor

If you're not getting irritation all over, I wouldn't think you would be having a reaction to the tea tree. Since it's only in a spot or two and goes away the next day, it may be that you are massaging too hard, maybe you scratched your scalp with your nails. Or it may be that the oil is loosening up some dead skin and those are the bumps and tender spots.

Respected Contributor

I use TT oil as an overnight approximately 3 times a week and have not had any issues like those you describe. In fact, it is the opposite: my scalp feels great in the morning. Maybe you should lay off a couple of days and make sure your scalp is clear -- then try it again for a few hours instead of overnight and see how it feels?

Is it possible there is something else going on that could be causing this besides the oil? It is hard to image what would cause a 'bruise'.

Super Contributor
On 10/19/2014 Loves Purple said: I'm new to WEN and so far I really love it. It dawned on me after a week that I wasn't losing hair like before. I was constantly picking hair off my clothes all day long which was so annoying! Even on my pillowcase in the morning. I must say it was an unexpected surprise to me. I'm using SAM and POM. I purchased the TT oil and I was wondering if anyone has had trouble with leaving the TT oil on their scalp overnight. I've used it three different nights (once a week) to encourage hair growth. The next day I clean thoroughly and my hair looks great but twice I've felt a sore spot on my scalp in two different places that feels like a small pimple. Yesterday I had only one spot but this time it felt like a bruised spot on my scalp. Like when you bump your head! Weird, huh?! The next day my scalp is just fine. Could I be using more than I should or massaging it in too much? Maybe overnight is too long for me. Just wondering if it's just me or have others had this happen. I'm excited to try other oils but I read the TT was good for hair growth. Thanks for any help.

WOW- this sounds just like what happened to me. I was shedding which I know is normal to a degree but it was one or two hairs -but all day! I had a sore head like pimples that are like the sore ones. I had to stop using it. My drain got slow and clogged also. I would take everything away except the oil at night and see how it goes.

Regular Contributor

It could be the Abyssinian Oil if you take medications for diabetes; Myrrh (Abyssinian Oil) causes a drug interaction with diabetes medications. It shouldn't be a problem since it's listed towards the end of the ingredients list, but you never know. Myrrh also interacts with Warfarin, which could explain the bruising. Anyone taking any medications should always check for drug interactions, especially when using essential oils. These chemicals, "natural" yes, but chemicals nevertheless, can be extremely dangerous for some people. Good luck.

Frequent Contributor
Racalamb2 I need to clarify. I lost a lot of hair BEFORE I started using WEN. Hair was everywhere. Tons in the shower, then my hairbrush and all over the place when I'd blow dry my hair. Picking off my clothes all day. Since Wen it's been great. 123lollo, thankfully no health issues no Meds. I just take a vitamin d3 daily. Thank you all for your responses. Since it wasn't anything that lasted longer than a day, I'll try again and not massage as much and see what happens.
Esteemed Contributor

Purple, when you massage the oil in, how hard are you doing it?

I had a similar problem pre-Wen. I was too vigorous with my scalp massages. When I lightened up, the problem went away.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Respected Contributor

I agree with all of the others. I don't think it is the tea tree oil that is causing this. You may be massaging too hard.

Respected Contributor

I'm new to WEN too and I love the tea tree! I don't have the Tea Tree oil yet but I did get the fig oil in a set. I really massaged it into my scalp and I think the manipulation along with the essential oils can make your head sensitive. I know when I first applied the oil it took a try or two to get the hang of drizzling it all the way through from front to back. I wonder if you may have bumped your scalp with the dropper tip where your head feels sore? I hope you figure it out and can continue to indulge in the oils!

Honored Contributor

I've never noticed pain with Tea Tree oil. I use it as often as 3 nights a week and on my face as well as my scalp. If your scalp feels sore or bruised, I would decrease the pressure you're applying when you massage it in.

Oils can clog pores and it is possible to breakout on your scalp. I've never had that happen from using WEN oils, but it does happen when I use coconut oil on my scalp. I wouldn't worry about it if it's only happened once, because one pimple can be caused by anything. If you notice a pattern, I would avoid using it.