Respected Contributor

Has anybody else broken out terribly on their face after using WEN?

I absolutely love the way it makes my hair look and feel. I use the co-cleanser, styling cream, and volumizing spray. The breakouts did not start immediately, maybe a week or two in, and I am experiencing terrible breakouts from behind my ears all across my chin, including the underside between my chin and my neck. I currently have about 18 cystic pimples in a line from ear to ear. My hair is long, more than halfway down my back, but I don't seem to have any breakouts on my shoulders/back or on my scalp.

I'd hate to give up my fabulous hair, but I can't continue to have these breakouts as a price to pay for it!

Super Contributor

I hate that you're breaking out. May I ask which formula you are using for CC, SC and VTS?

I had no problems with anything except for when I got the TSV in BGT (my FAVORITE) and started to break out on ears and the nape of my neck only after incorporating the BGT SC and VTS.

It wasn't acne, but severe itching and a rash? I did a patch test on my forearms doing BGT VTS on one arm and BGT SC on the other. After 3 days, the VTS arm was awful, but the SC arm was fine.

I tried to figure out which ingredients BGT had that the others didn't and looks like Cinnamon Oil and Clove Leaf Oil are the possible culprits for ME. I don't think many others have an issue with these.

But since only the VTS bothered me, maybe I'm a weirdo that is affected by Witch Hazel?

Anyway..if it's a different formula that is causing issues for you I don't know what to tell you. But if it's definitely WEN causing it, take a break and see if it clears up. If it does, then you'll know.

I will never give up my WEN, so I just use BGT in my routine twice a week instead of daily.

Respected Contributor
I use lavender CC, lavender SC, and fig VTS. I'm thinking it's the SC since it seems so emollient. I might try using just the CC to see what happens.
Honored Contributor

Oh, no! I'm so sorry to hear that. Cystic acne is terrible. I've never gotten acne from WEN and I've used mine as a facial cleanser. I would stop using all the WEN products until your skin recovers and then try again. Add one WEN product at a time, using it for 2 weeks and then adding another. That should help you determine which product might be the cause. I try not to add too many new products into my routine at once because I do have sensitive skin and it's easier to establish which product is an irritant if I only add one at a time.

Contributor

I think it happens to me when I use a CC with wheat in it.

Respected Contributor

It sounds like you are allergic to some of the products. I would suggest that you go to a doctor and find out what you are allergic to.

Respected Contributor
Doesn't seen like an allergic reaction to me. It's white head and cystic pimples, not a rash.
Respected Contributor
Yes! I have wanted to start this post for sometime. I am breakinf out on the back of my neck. When did BGT come out because I have been fighting it since the end of Spring when it got really hot. I just came back from a trip and used pomegranate for two weeks and didn't see a difference in my acne. I have been going to my dermatologist since I started breaking out. He told me it was hormonal and he sees this in menopausal women.
Super Contributor

I agree, that sounds more like an allergic reaction. Unless you already have an acne problem I would think if it were acne caused by the Wen that it would be only a couple, not as many as you've described. I may have gotten the occasional break out from Wen, but that time of the month causes it too so I'm not sure I can actually blame Wen.

For awhile during the warmer months I felt like the back of my neck and back would stay very moisturized (almost oily), like the Wen was doing it from my hair laying on the back of my neck and back through cleansing etc, but it's not bothering me anymore. Also I have been using Wen as a face mask in the shower, then use a facial brush for a deep clean and to rinse it off, I haven't had any issues when doing that.

Respected Contributor

I would nurse my face back to health and then use a different formula.There are WEn formulas in wheat, soy and rice. The WEN Kids formulas are referred to as WEN free. They are without soy, nuts, gluten, wheat, and I can't remember what else. I am sure you can find a WEN formula that doesn't cause a reaction. Call the Salon if you want a little guidance on that. The number is on the back of the bottle. They will gladly help you.

Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012